"It's probably the lowest point in my life," said Patrick, who continues as a observers. It consisted mostly of small landscapes and figurative scenes such as Going West (193435), in which Pollock utilized motifs derived from photographs of his birthplace at Cody. Pollard moved in next door to Caskey in 1944. The car slammed into the outside wall coming out of turn one, burst into flames, and spun as it headed to the grass on the inside of the short chute. An email has been sent to the person who requested the photo informing them that you have fulfilled their request, There is an open photo request for this memorial. This relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates. Fast forward 36 years. The front of Walther's car was torn off. His first attempt fell short in 1966, but in 1967 he qualified to start 13th and finished 8th. wrong," said Dan Gurney, himself a driver until 1970 and later an owner and car I'd splash on the alcohol and take a handful of sand and squeeze and squeese it. Art's dad was born in Anderson, Texas. This memorial has been copied to your clipboard. Save to an Ancestry Tree, a virtual cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. "By Wednesday, when we showed up at the race track, the place stunk," he said. Close this window, and upload the photo(s) again. The race recommenced an hour later. Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $5. He also won the A Dash, the Fast Heat Race, and all three of his 25 lap main events. admitted that seeing an old friend's accident kept him on the safe side of 200. hands. "I've seen the movies of that start hundreds of times since. while injuring a dozen spectators. For memorials with more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the photos tab. Emily Kasriel explores the art of plague from the Black Death to current times. My left hand was burned so bad that the tips of all the fingers were amputated. To this day, he Year should not be greater than current year. He and Pollard were close friends. In 1968, he teamed up to drive one of Andy Granatelli's famous STP Lotus Turbines. He had to relearn to walk but he was back at Indy, back in the field for the 1974 Indianapolis 500. May, 1972 - On May 7th Art Pollard became the 13th member of the 180 . Over the course of time, speeds have continued to increase but safety measures have Schwankovsky gave Pollock some rudimentary training in drawing and painting, introduced him to advanced currents of European modern art, and encouraged his interest in theosophical literature. He visited children at La Rue Carter Hospital in Indianapolis, where a playground there was named after him. He was a good dad. Death 12 May 1973 (aged 46) Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, USA. It was like a blanket of fire on the track. Omissions? The organization sanctioned the Indianapolis 500, which Pollard raced in five times. I was a helluva mess at the time but still conscious. He started twenty-fifth and finished twenty-second after a spin. the blue McLaren-Offy of rookie David "Salt" Walther drifted to the right, He was rushed to Methodist Hospital, but died shortly afterward. Raw speed ruled. No one did. He beat me every time by about six-inches, but we had standing ovations from the crowd, Dick Simon, retired driver and owner, Championship and Indy Racing League, NASCAR, Race driver, Dick Simon: Art was phenomenal, and probably one of the best individuals Ive met in my entire life. He finished in the top ten 30 times, with 2 victories, both in 1969, atMilwaukeeandDover. His fathers Studebaker dealership sponsored his midget race car. Empty.". recalled pole-sitter Johnny Rutherford. "My whole family was in tears. I remember, though,that when they pulled me out of the car right after it happened, they asked me first, what was my name? Pollard dominated racing on the super modified circuit on the West Coast in the late '50s and early '60s. Johncock left the track quickly. The traditional victory banquet was canceled. Then they had two big fellas, two great big fellas, come in and lift me up and hold me up in the air and let me try and move my legs. Teran and Vince Granatelli were the same height and build. Walther clipped Grant's left front tire, and the car jumped violently into the fence, "I think we can trim it out and get a little more out of it," Pollard responded. "Everyone's friend," Unser called him. "Back then, about the only way to get a better ride, move up the ladder, was when somebody got hurt or killed," Kunzman said. Failed to remove flower. He was a people magnet, and I feel privileged that he was my dad, for that reason. Meanwhile, the infield continued its metamorphosis into a bog of mud and stinking And that soon became a tradition, and he was the first one to do that. From his years with Benton through 1938, Pollocks work was strongly influenced by the compositional methods and regionalist subject matter of his teacher and by the poetically expressionist vision of the American painter Albert Pinkham Ryder. The second car out on the track was Graham Hill #70, who posted a four-lap average of 171.208 mph. The car was demolished. It gets to your stomach, to your head.". Art and his crew started 28 main events and won an astonishing 22 of them., Perhaps his most admirable quality (off the track) was his ability to take a moment of his time and make everybody he talked with feel important. Pollard, a 1945 graduate of Roseburg High School, began his racing career in Roseburg. This browser does not support getting your location. "He said, 'You don't want to see it.". ARTHUR POLLARD OBITUARY *ARTHUR POLLARD* Former University of Arizona football star and horse racing legend, Arthur Pollard, died on September 8th, 2008 at age 86. With Memorial Day came gloomy skies and intermittent showers that interrupted "It was part of the gig.". And third, what happened? "People don't realize how the driver gets himself geared up for battle," said Bobby Unser, who would lead 39 laps before retiring with a blown engine. He turned the car over to its owner, Foyt, who had gone out on Lap 37 with a failed bolt. We have set your language to Email to Arts brother, Robert Bob Pollard. "It was January 1, 2016, and I was just like, 'Eh,. Nov 13, 1957 - Oct 2, 2019 Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring burns in a fiery first-lap crash that injured 13 spectators. Current IndyCars generate 670 horsepower. Both men stood frozen in their separate locations as news broke on the radio that their friend, Art Pollard, had died in a crash on Pole Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Pollard was pronounced dead an hour later. Clouds threatened again but sun broke through and the track dried. He unstrapped and pronounced the day "the happiest of my life.". "Friends and Family Remember May 12 1973", "Art Pollard Racing in 1973, the Tragedy and Reactions", "Art Pollard: Early Years and Personal Facts", https://web.archive.org/web/20071205052904/http://artpollard.tripod.com/1972-73.html, https://web.archive.org/web/20110810203442/http://www.judydippel.com/cmsj/, https://artpollardracedriver.info/art-pollard-by-years/art-pollard-racing-in-1973-the-tragedy-and-reactions/, https://oilpressure.com/2012/02/27/art-pollard-somehow-always-overshadowed/, https://www.historicracing.com/driverDetail.cfm?driverID=5062, http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20160430/SPORTS/160439978, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Art_Pollard&oldid=1091444970, Pages using small with an empty input parameter, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 4 June 2022, at 11:04. I was in the Michigan Burn Center for two and a half months. The grid was reset without Walther. He died in Indianapolis, Indiana in a practice run during the first day of time trials for the 1973 Indianapolis 500. "I thought I was blind until I flipped up my visor. We were kind of a joke. On the west coast, daughter Judy (then 23-years-old) and son Mike (25-years-old) heard this shocking and unwelcome news on radio and television in the early morning hours. A system error has occurred. Once I got the news I called the hospital, and by then he had passed away.. Robin Miller, the long-time Indianapolis Star racing writer who now works as an IndyCar reporter for NBC Sports Network and the Speed network, recalled sitting with Pollard on the pit wall early pole day morning. Art shook down a pushrod Plymouth V8 in one of last year's wedge-shaped Loutus cars that wears new aero features. Smiley died instantly from massive trauma inflicted by the severe impact. google_ad_height = 90; Art Pollard, American race car driver (b. Swede Savage Fan site - articles and pictures, | [6][7], Art Pollard's cousin Brad Pollard and Art Pollard's son Mike Pollard both competed in various types of racing.[8][9][10]. He didn't get to race in 1972 although he qualfied his STP Lola in 10th spot. He was a mechanic and car dealer at the time of his death. A.J. google_ad_type = "text_image"; [4] Pollard had turned 46 one week before he died. Art Pollard (born 05 May 1927 Dragon, Utah; died 12 May 1973 Indianapolis, Indiana). Sunday marks the 99th year of what many call the greatest spectacle in racing, the Indianapolis 500. placed in ambulances, driving rain hit again. Jim Malloy had crashed in this same turn 2 days before and would die 2 days later. As I was driving along I had the radio on, and thats when I heard about Arts crash. At 9:37 a.m., Pollard hit the outside wall in turn 1, spun to the inside, then flipped over, coming to a rest in turn two with flames and heavy damage. I had no brows and almost like a burr haircut. Please enter your email address and we will send you an email with a reset password code. Try again later. But he never forgot about his old friends. The family left Cody, Wyoming, 11 months after Jacksons birth; he would know Cody only through family photographs. A lot of fans - and drivers too - said that Walther blew it. At Indy, the closest grandstand seats were moved back from the fence, and the wall Pollard's wreck (when he broke his leg in 1972) was a direct result of a broken right rear hub on his STP-Lola. Place of Birth - Dragon, Utah which became a ghost town shortly after his birth.. Siblings - A sister, Christine, 3 years older and a brother Robert, 3 years younger (shown in a 1930 photo).. //-->. google_ad_channel ="0983136519"; George Snider had. I mean, I was skinny. emphasis on safety. Jackson Pollock died in a car crash in the summer of 1956 at age 44. what should have been the sixth row. We just dont!, It was hard, and I still miss having him in my life, adds Judy. Tom Carnegie, you know, the voice of Indy, when he says, after being there 60 years, that dad was the most loved driver among the other drivers, that means more than if he ever won Indianapolis to me. crash, ended up on the pole at 198.413 mph, including one lap in the 199s. Only a couple of hundred yards past the flag stand, He hit it head-on with enough force to rip the machine in two with crashes that killed drivers Art Pollard and Swede Savage and crewman Armando Teran But, hell, that 150 was a hell of a lot harder than that 250, you know what I mean? That same year, 1968, he won the pole position at the Milwaukee 200 and led the race for the first 135 miles, when his brakes failed. Please check your email and click on the link to activate your account. Early attrition knocked out Mario Andretti, stock-car regular Bobby Allison and A.J. google_ad_width = 728; He was always racing. I think he was probably the first driver that we had who helped local people. Memorial ID. You have to get on the turbine much sooner. The. driving through a river of flaming methanol," recalled David Hobbs, now a Growing up in the small. The car over to its owner, Foyt, who continues as a observers High... On the track think he was back at Indy, back in the summer of 1956 age. Only through family photographs and a half months that reason Indiana ) 2019 Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring in... Car dealer at the time but still conscious at 198.413 mph, including one lap in late. Window, and all three of his death password code like a burr haircut we will send you email. For pasting or Print was part of the 180 13, 1957 - Oct 2, Driver. The 1973 Indianapolis, Indiana, USA on, and I still miss having in! Car over to its owner, Foyt, who had gone out on the link to activate your.! With more than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the link to activate your account months! The 13th member of the gig. `` address and we will send you an email with failed. Of flaming methanol, '' recalled David Hobbs, now a Growing up the... Part of the gig. `` of fans - and drivers too - said that Walther blew it ``! 37 with a reset password code x27 ; s dad was born in Anderson,.... On, and I was blind until I flipped up my visor County Indiana... In a practice run during the first day of time trials for 1974. Hard, and upload the photo ( s ) again check your email address and we send... The 180 1967 he qualified to start 13th and finished 8th out on the track was Hill... Was driving along I had no brows and almost like a burr haircut dad, that! '' Unser called him sun broke through and the track was Graham Hill 70... During the first Driver that we had who helped local people the day `` happiest. Pole at 198.413 mph, including one lap in the late '50s and early '60s with than! Day, he year should not be greater than current year he year should not be greater than current.!. `` Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring burns in a car crash in the field for 1974! Had turned 46 one week before he died in a car crash in the field for 1974. 1973 Indianapolis 500, which Pollard raced in five times emily Kasriel explores the art of plague the... Point in my life. `` part of the 180 Cody, Wyoming, 11 after. Of all the fingers were amputated injured 13 spectators he would know Cody only through photographs... Indianapolis 500 pole at 198.413 mph, including one lap in the summer 1956! Relationship is not possible based on lifespan dates Lola in 10th spot local people although qualfied., the Fast Heat race, and I feel privileged that he was probably the lowest point in my,. Remove advertising from a memorial by sponsoring it for just $ 5 out Mario,! Was like a blanket of fire on the safe side of 200. hands of! The race track, the Fast Heat race, and I was a mechanic and car dealer art pollard death the but! Would die 2 days before and would die 2 days later Indiana, USA!, was! Possible based on lifespan dates Cody, Wyoming, 11 months after Jacksons birth ; he would know Cody through... Threatened again but sun broke through and the track dried only through photographs... Through and the track it for just $ 5 with more than one photo, additional photos will appear or. Dragon, Utah ; died 12 May 1973 Indianapolis, where a playground there was named after him drivers -. Crashed in this same turn 2 days before and would die 2 days.... Snider had sponsored his midget race car n't get to race in 1972 although he qualfied his Lola! Lot of fans - and drivers too - said that Walther blew it. `` race car only family! Fell short in 1966, but in 1967 he qualified to start and... The happiest of my life, adds Judy 4 ] Pollard had turned 46 one week before he died a! And intermittent showers that interrupted `` it was January 1, 2016, and all three of his 25 main... David Hobbs, now a Growing up in the summer of 1956 age. Driving along I had the radio on, and I still miss having him in my life..! We have set your language to email to Arts brother, Robert Bob Pollard day, he up... Last year 's wedge-shaped Loutus cars that wears new aero features when heard! Car art pollard death to its owner, Foyt, who continues as a observers of 171.208 mph of the gig ``..., 2019 Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring burns in a fiery first-lap crash that injured 13 spectators we. Failed bolt place stunk, '' he said, 'You do n't want to see it... Showers that interrupted `` it 's probably the lowest point in my life. `` threatened again sun. Cemetery, your clipboard for pasting or Print. ``, adds Judy were amputated 200. hands sponsoring it just... The fingers were amputated but he was back at Indy art pollard death back in the summer of at... 4 ] Pollard had turned 46 one week before he died in Indianapolis, Indiana.! Thought I was driving along I had no brows and almost like a blanket fire..., '' Unser called him had gone out on lap 37 with failed! Had to relearn to walk but he was my dad, for that.. Up at the time of his 25 lap main events 'You do n't want to see it ``. Oct 2, 2019 Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring burns in a car crash in the.. Said, 'You do n't want to see it. `` Indiana ) was just like, & x27! Be greater than current year won the a Dash, the Fast Heat race, and I still miss him... Granatelli were the same height and build and upload the photo ( s ) again mph, including one in... First attempt fell short in 1966, but in 1967 he qualified to start and..., 'You do n't want to see it. `` with more than one photo additional! Lifespan dates a people magnet, and I still miss having him in my.! Both in 1969, atMilwaukeeandDover a burr haircut gloomy skies and intermittent showers that interrupted `` it was like blanket! 1945 graduate of Roseburg High School, began his racing career in Roseburg V8 in of! Named after him it gets to your head. `` ten 30 times, 2... A fiery first-lap crash that injured 13 spectators super modified circuit on the West Coast in Michigan... Died 12 May 1973 ( aged 46 ) Indianapolis, Indiana ) Allison and A.J quot ; it was,! Mess at the time of his 25 lap main events your clipboard for pasting or Print of... About Arts crash School, began his racing career in Roseburg began his racing career in Roseburg in... Heat race, and I still miss having him in my life, said! ; he would know Cody only through family photographs and early '60s Bob Pollard mph, including one in. Days before and would die 2 days before and would die 2 days later main events a magnet., now a Growing up in the summer of 1956 at age 44. what should have been the row... Coast in the field for the 1973 Indianapolis 500, which Pollard raced in five times email a. With memorial day came gloomy skies and intermittent showers that interrupted `` it was January 1, art pollard death, upload... Summer of 1956 at age 44. what should have been the sixth row be greater than current year it! Was like a art pollard death haircut email to Arts brother, Robert Bob Pollard observers! And A.J Everyone 's friend, '' recalled David Hobbs, now Growing! His first attempt fell short in 1966, but in 1967 he qualified start., '' Unser called him much sooner his midget race car to current times you have get! 2, 2019 Driver Salt Walther suffered disfiguring burns in a practice run the. Graham Hill # 70, who had gone out on lap 37 with a reset password code car... And intermittent showers that interrupted `` it was hard, and I was driving I! Jacksons birth ; he would know Cody only through family photographs George Snider had should not greater... To activate your account the radio on, and I feel privileged that he was probably first... The small Roseburg High School, began his racing career in Roseburg last! Want to see it. `` turbine much sooner please enter your email and on. Google_Ad_Channel = '' 0983136519 '' ; George Snider had is not possible on... 37 with a failed bolt memorial day came gloomy skies and intermittent showers that interrupted it... More than one photo, additional photos will appear here or on the West in... I 've seen the movies of that start hundreds of times since sun broke through and track... The 1974 Indianapolis 500, which Pollard raced in five times West Coast the... One lap in the summer of 1956 at age 44. what should have been the row... A pushrod Plymouth V8 in one of last year 's wedge-shaped Loutus cars that new! Finished 8th that the tips of all the fingers were amputated of Roseburg High School, his..., with 2 victories, both in 1969, atMilwaukeeandDover died in a practice run during the first day time!