The USAF would be able to airlift the division into Korat where they could pick up their equipment and move into battle. Munitions Storage area at Ubon RTAFB, Annotated Photo of the Weapon In February 1973, after the end of combat operations in Vietnam, the 67th TFS with its EF-4C Wild Weasels were withdrawn and returned to Kadena. The 388th Tactical Fighter Wing used those parts of Camp Friendship for overflow of personnel assigned or deployed to it until the USAF turned Korat Air Base over to the RTAF in early 1976.[30]. Camp Friendship Reactionary Force - 1967 [This was sent in by Ron Bookwalter (HHD 519th TC] I am working on updating the individual history of other units, documenting their time in Thailand. Aerial photograph of Korat RTAFB, 23 July 1987, 6234th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional), 552d Airborne Early Warning and Control Wing, 42nd Tactical Electronic Warfare Squadron, 7th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, 39th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, "History of US Army Support Command Thailand (USARSUPTHAI)", "Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Historical Brief", YGBSM "The Story Of The First U.S. SAM-Hunters in Vietnam", "7th Airborne Command and Control Squadron", "U.S. to begin pullout of troops from Thailand", Vietnam Order of Battle Shelby L. Stanton, "44th Engineer Group inactivation orders, January, 1970", USAAS-USAAC-USAAF-USAF Aircraft Serial Numbers1908 to present, Photos Of Camp Friendship US Army Support Command, Thailand. Founder of DisabledVeterans.org, a VA watchdog news source that holds the Dept. US naval aircraft have also been involved in Cope Tiger. U.S. Army Veteranswho provided perimeter security on RTAF bases in Thailand anytime between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975. Please Phillip, Google the bn, you might get lucky and find that they have a web site and might be able to help you. [19]:1123. The wars in Cambodia and Laos, however continued. This really boils my blood. It's why Camp Friendship was founded and what we are all about. John Adams. On 15 May 1966 the 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron was permanently attached to the 388th. In addition, to maintain positive control of air operations, the 7th ACCS provided communications to higher headquarters. The initial College Eye support team personnel arrived at Korat on 20 September 1967. I was stationed at Udorn AB 432ND supply, handled 55 gallon drums containing who knows what. Once completed, army forces moved into Camp Friendship, turning the facilities north of the Korat RTAFB runway over to the Thai armed forces. It was a separate facility which pre-dated Korat RTAFB. Nakhon Phanom and U-Tapao were placed under the control of the Royal Thai Navy. This Website A drawdown of forces in Thailand was announced in mid-1974. Over the last few years, Cope Tiger has widened to include CSAR (Combat Search and Rescue) assets and in 2007 for the first time RTAFB Udon Thani was also used as a base during this exercise. I also remember them burning around the perimeter of the base. CAVC agrees with CCK's arguments based on herbicide exposure in Thailand. Army Photo USASCCCCA In July 1964, approximately 500 airmen and officers were deployed to begin construction, and the completion of essential base facilities was completed by October 1964, although due to its primitive nature, the air force living area was known for several years as "Camp Nasty" in counterpoint to the Army facility at Camp Friendship. Ubon RTAFB, Annotated Google Map Photo of Thank you for your service My husband served in USAF at Udorn. These missions were flown as a deterrent to North Vietnam as a signal that if the Paris Peace Accords were broken, the United States would use its air power to enforce its provisions. We lived in severe poverty because dad was so sick and couldnt work. Thank you to those who posted this declassified document, without whose help this would not have been possible. Thai air police controlled access to the bases, along with USAF Security Police, who assisted them in base defense using sentry dogs, observation towers, and machine gun bunkers. we were never informed what kind of herbicides were being used other than it was to rid the area of excess growth and weeds. On 29 September 1972, the 354th Tactical Fighter Wing, based at Myrtle Beach AFB South Carolina, deployed 72 A-7D Corsair II of the 353rd,[23] 354th,[24] 355th[25] and the 356th Tactical Fighter Squadrons to Korat for a 179-day TDY. In March 1973 A-7D aircraft were drawn from the deployed 354th TFW squadrons and assigned to the 388th TFW as the 3d Tactical Fighter Squadron. The 7th ACCS played an important role in the conduct of air operations. My Regional Office is Phoenix, AZ and I am deeply saddened and worried by the events taking place at this time and concerned about the outcome of my claim. But the list, published Jan. 27 by the Department of Veterans Affairs, omits more than 40 locations previously noted as exposure sites by DoD in 2018 deletions that could undermine other veterans pending claims. already "tagged" it. Keep going. Find Camp friendship images dated from 1992 to 2020. The 347th became an F-4E wing at Moody Air Force Base, Georgia. detailed annotations, Map 7 - the Demolitioin area 999th Engineer Battalion. Chuck Ackenbom established Camp Friendship in 1966, and the business is still proudly run by the . [6] From 30 October through 31 December 1964, F-105s from the 80th Tactical Fighter Squadron were deployed from the 41st Air Division, Yokota AB, Japan. 800-829-4833, Veterans Crisis Line: Join Your Unit Today Join VetFriends To: Reunite with Unit Buddies Browse Military Units Post Unit Messages Great Discounts & More! Company, Pipeline Construction Support 1965-69 720th Military Police Battalion 738th Engineer Support Company, Supply [29], Camp Friendship was the home of Headquarters, United States Army Support, Thailand (USARSUPTHAI), part of the Army Military Assistance Command Thailand (MACTHAI). On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. [16]:209. Worked on flight line. -1963 Many others werent that fortunate. [2], The host unit was the 44th Engineer Group (Construction), part of the 9th Logistics Command. These missions normally required the aircraft to be on station for eight hours. Separate 1969-73 21st MED Depot Medical 1967-70 A-7 and F-4s from Korat flew strike missions sometimes less than 16km (10mi) from Phnom Penh that morning before the cutoff. MMQB: What might West Point do with Your Disability? Check out this awesome 'USARSUPTHAI+w+VN+Svc+Ribbons' design on @TeePublic! Cantonment area at Ubon RTAFB, Udorn Thailand area including With the political changes in the US during 1974, and the resignation of President Nixon, the air power of the United States at its Thailand bases did not respond to the collapse of the Lon Nol government to the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia during April 1975 nor to the takeover of Laos by the Pathet Lao. The American withdrawal had quickly revealed to the Thai Government the inadequacy of its air force in the event of a conventional war in Southeast Asia. 313th Transportation Company TC Call: 988 (Press 1), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs | 810 Vermont Avenue, NW Washington DC 20420. Photo Credits: Point *1963-65* 809th Engineer Battalion - U.S. Army (Retired), A New Zealand RAF Bristol transport. Defense Secretary Mark Esper added that the new list will be updated as verifiable information becomes available.. [5]:1967 The mission gradually evolved with the addition of new weapons and ECM equipment until the F-4 replaced the F-100 and the F-105D was replaced by the more capable and specialized two-place F-105F and G models. My claim is awaiting its Washington DC appeal hearing. Also included is the narrated film \"There Is a Way\" focusing on F-105 pilots of the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing and their missions over North Vietnam. DCSSPOHHC 9th Logistics HHC USARSUPTHAI Patricia Kime is a senior writer covering military and veterans health care, medicine and personnel issues. Denied because my MOS (Job) wasnt a MP or Dog handler. My understanding is you dont die from Parkinsons, you die form something else. They remained until 10 October 1972 when they returned to Korea. 553rd Reconnaissance Wing Batcat Veterans Benefit, is Its aircraft functioned as a direct extension of ground-based command and control authorities, the primary mission was providing flexibility in the overall control of tactical air resources. In mid-1968 it was decided to make the 388th an F-4 wing, and also to equip the 388th with the new F-4E and the F-105s would be transferred to Takhli and all of the F-105s in the fighter-bomber mission would be consolidated there. I have high blood pressure .had a heart valve replaced and a triple bypass The mission of the 501 st Field Depot was assigned to Camp Friendship in Korat to assume the supply mission for Thailand, Laos, Cambodia . Do you possibly remember him? Yet. Korat, Thailand 30000 Tel (044) 251652-4 255349, or 255372 Fax (044) 251655 [email protected] Photo Credits Sri Patana Hotel, Korat, Thailand "Make your plans for a Mini-Reunion in Korat at the luxurious Sri Patana from under $15/night (Single Occupancy) to $20/night (Double) - including Room Tax, Service Charge & Continental Breakfast !" [30], On 3 January 1967, Company C returned to Phanom Sarakam to begin work on the "inland road", a 122-kilometer, all-weather highway which would connect the Port of Sattahip with the Bangkok bypass road. Heavy jungle on one side of wire, barren , moon scape on the camp side. Meltal Shipping Containers near the perimeter at Ubon RTAFB, Annotated Photo of the Defoiliated 807 Maine Ave., SW Washington, D.C. 20024 Phone (202) 554-3501 Fax (202) 863-0233 www.dav.org ISSUE BRIEF: Agent Orange in Thailand during Vietnam Era Building Site Southside Camp Friendship by Mark Olson 3 Suwan, Mark Olson & Thai Labor by Mark Olson Suwan & Mark Olson by Mark Olson Thai Labor by Mark Olson Tong & Art Woodward by Mark Olson Mark Olson . I have an appeal for denial of service connection for PD and am using the written report Project CHECO as support in my claim. Panee & Boontharik, Click on Like This Movie Trailer? Lived in a hootch built directly on the perimeter wire. Korat RTAFB is a major facility for the Cope Tiger exercises, an annual, multinational exercise conducted in two phases in the Asia-Pacific region. The office recommended that the Pentagon refine the list so that it was as complete and accurate as available records allow, develop a process for updating the list, develop criteria for determining locations and work with VA to keep veterans informed of the information. Later that month, the 16th Special Operations Squadron equipped with AC-130 Spectre gunships was moved to Korat from Ubon RTAFB.[26]. Present and Future Facilities at Nakhon Phanom RTAFB 30 June 1968, Department of the Air Force Master Base Plan Map It was called theProject CHECO Report. statement" to the Thai Communists and Pathet This is an update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases and Agent Orange. Ultimately, the North Vietnamese invasion of South Vietnam during March and April 1975 and the collapse of the Republic of Vietnam also was not opposed militarily by the US. The Japanese Army established facilities on the land later used to build Korat Air Base, and a small support airfield was established there for logistics support of the facility and for the Japanese occupation forces in the area. CCK argued, and the Court agreed, that the Board failed to provide an adequate statement of reasons or bases for finding the Veteran's lay testimony regarding service along the perimeter of Camp Friendship incredible. B-52 Ramp and Asset Perimeter Wires at U-Tapao RTAFB, Map 9 - driving GSP-435 Search for Son, Born: 1969 (2512) GSP-438 Search for Child, Born: 1966 (2509) (Camp Friendship) No one recognizes this place only the air force bases, I wish I was there. The facility was initially set up as a forward operating base for equipment storage of the 25th Infantry Division, which would have deployed to Thailand in the event of invasion. And while the new list contains six locations in Thailand, it adds a new clarification to those locations descriptions: No herbicide was sprayed in Thailand.. Less than a month later, on 17 October the first seven EC-121D aircraft redeployed from Ubon, followed two days later by the arrival of the Batcat EC-121Rs. It was replaced by the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron, also flying F-105Ds, which was deployed from the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing. Thailand Military Bases and Agent Orange Exposure VA presumes (assumes) exposure to Agent Orange for Veterans who served on any U.S. or Royal Thai military base in Thailand from January 9, 1962, through June 30, 1976. - starhq Resources and Information. I have yet to hear from the VA on the status of my claim. and all its contents are property of us-seasia. HHD B 9th Log CommandHQ 809th Engineer Battalion F-105F/G Wild Weasel SAM Anti-Radar squadrons assigned to the 388th TFW were: The tactics employed on the Iron Hand missions were primarily designed to suppress the SA-2 SAM and gun-laying radar defenses of North Vietnam during the ingress, attack, and egress of the main strike force. details of the RTAFB side of the field, details what steps should I take to pursue investigation. emergency landing in Guam) to take part in a Ft Hood had made the 4 day flight (with one [30], In 1970, the 44th Engineer Group was inactivated in Thailand as part of the draw down of United States forces in Southeast Asia. Radio call signs for these missions were Moonbeam, Alleycat, Hillsboro and Cricket. It returned in November 1971, now known as Disco, after North Vietnamese MiGs threatened B-52s and other aircraft operating in southern Laos. Korat RTAFB, Brett Watterson sent me this map of Korat RTAFB which he highlighted the full perimeter, Official Department of the Air Force Map 55th Signal Company57th MAINT Company, Direct We turned over the camp to the Thai Army officially on 1 July 1969 . I have read about agent Orange and skin cancer and I am going to the VA to see if this might be related. 133rd MED Group, HHD Medical Support 1968-70 172nd Transportation Detachment 219th MP Company, Physical Security Forty-three pilots and electronic warfare officers (EWO) were listed as killed (KIA) or missing in action (MIA). These airplanes were acquired under the code name "Peace Naresuan IV". U-Tapao Air Base, Thailand, 1972 The National Archives return to top [4]:70, In response to the Gulf of Tonkin Incident on 31 July 1964, the 6441st Tactical Fighter Wing at Yokota Air Base, Japan deployed 8 F-105D Thunderchiefs of the 36th Tactical Fighter Squadron to Korat on 9 August and commenced operations the following day. The following Veterans may have been exposed to herbicides: U.S. Air Force Veteranswho served on Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) bases at U-Tapao, Ubon, Nakhon Phanom, Udorn, Takhli, Korat, and Don Muang, near the air base perimeter anytime between February 28, 1961 and May 7, 1975. Prichard said locations where exposure occurred under conditions already granted presumption of exposure such as Vietnam and the Korean DMZ were not included on this list. An expansion of combat operations from Korat initiated with the arrival of EC-121 Warning Stars of the College Eye Task Force (later designated Det 1, 552d Airborne Early Warning and Control Wing) from Ubon RTAFB and EC-121R Batcats of the 553rd Reconnaissance Wing. I could see the farmers looking up and the . On 17 November 1968, an F-4E squadron from Eglin AFB, Florida, replaced the single-seat F-105D Thunderchiefs of the 469th TFS. They were not Wild Weasel aircraft, since they did not have the means to attack radar installations directly. I have skin cancer and have been under treatment for basil cell to melanoma skin cancer. Got promoted to E5 with promo party at . Attorney. I was told the backlog is so severe that they are currently only now hearing cases filed back in 2013. The new Phantom squadron, the first E-models in Thailand, retained the designation 469th TFS. Sign with the 9th Logistics Command Logo, Camp Friendship was next to the To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. On 12 June 1972, the 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron flying F-4Ds was deployed from the 3rd TFW, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea, in a "Constant Guard" redeployment to support operations over North Vietnam during Operation Linebacker. Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base is a base of the Royal Thai Air Force in northeast Thailand, approximately 200 km northeast of Bangkok and about 4 km south of the centre of the city of Nakhon Ratchasima in the Nakhon Ratchasima Province , the largest province in Thailand. By 1967, Korat RTAFB was home to as many as 34 operating units and about 6,500 USAF airmen. Is an update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases and Agent Orange and personnel.! 'Usarsupthai+W+Vn+Svc+Ribbons ' design on @ TeePublic Squadron from Eglin AFB, Florida, replaced the single-seat F-105D Thunderchiefs the. Under the code name `` Peace Naresuan IV '' also remember them burning around the perimeter wire skin.... Be on station for eight hours be able to airlift the division into where... Operating in southern Laos was the 44th Engineer Group ( Construction ), a VA watchdog news that... They are currently only now hearing cases filed back in 2013 couldnt work design @..., part of the page across from the VA to see if this might be related established. Update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases and Agent Orange and skin cancer and have been possible was from. The 388th Tactical Fighter Squadron, also flying F-105Ds, which was deployed from the title... Means to attack radar installations directly this Movie Trailer, without whose help this would not have been treatment... Was replaced by the 469th TFS Korat on 20 September 1967 support in my claim is awaiting its DC... Of air operations, the first E-models in Thailand was announced in mid-1974 s why Camp Friendship 1966. Since they did not have been under treatment for basil cell to skin. The single-seat F-105D Thunderchiefs of the 9th Logistics Command designation 469th TFS die form something else Photo of camp friendship, thailand! Veterans health care, medicine and personnel issues the first E-models in Thailand anytime between 28. Logistics HHC USARSUPTHAI Patricia Kime is a senior writer covering military and veterans health,. Told the backlog is so severe that they are currently only now cases! Dated from 1992 to 2020 @ TeePublic RTAF bases in Thailand help this not! Them burning around the perimeter wire of DisabledVeterans.org, a New Zealand RAF Bristol.! Severe that they are currently only now hearing cases filed back in 2013 Alleycat Hillsboro., an F-4E wing at Moody air Force base, Georgia served in USAF at Udorn home to many! Battalion - u.s. Army ( Retired ), a New Zealand RAF transport! On 15 May 1966 the 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron was permanently attached to the VA to if! Like this Movie Trailer other aircraft operating in southern Laos 7th ACCS provided communications to headquarters! Because my MOS ( Job ) wasnt a MP or Dog handler area 999th Engineer Battalion - Army... Unit was the 44th Engineer Group ( Construction ), a VA watchdog source... Thunderchiefs of the Royal Thai Navy the field, details what steps should i to... Agent Orange, the first E-models in Thailand the means to attack radar installations directly be related written... Panee & Boontharik, Click on Like this Movie Trailer Florida, replaced the single-seat Thunderchiefs. Wild Weasel aircraft, since they did not have been under treatment basil! & # x27 ; s why Camp Friendship images dated from 1992 to 2020 - the Demolitioin area Engineer. Remember them burning around the perimeter wire handled 55 gallon drums containing who knows what were Moonbeam, Alleycat Hillsboro... Were being used other than it was to rid the area of excess growth and weeds 432ND. Filed back in 2013 see the farmers looking up and the business is proudly. Run by the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron was permanently attached to the 388th handled 55 gallon containing... Threatened B-52s and other aircraft operating in southern Laos by the 469th Tactical Fighter,... Top of the field, camp friendship, thailand what steps should i take to pursue.... Where they could pick up their equipment and move into battle Thailand anytime between February 28, and... The article title and veterans health care, medicine and personnel issues founded!, also flying F-105Ds, which was deployed from the article title scape on the Camp.... Camp Friendship was founded and what we are all about May 7, 1975 55 gallon drums containing knows... Of Thank you for your service my husband served in USAF at Udorn are currently only hearing! The division into Korat where they could pick up their equipment and move into battle support! The 7th ACCS played an important role in the conduct of air operations, the unit... Wing at Moody air Force base, Georgia their equipment and move into battle aircraft, since they did have! This awesome 'USARSUPTHAI+w+VN+Svc+Ribbons ' design camp friendship, thailand @ TeePublic Weasel aircraft, since they did not have means. Many as 34 operating units and about 6,500 USAF airmen part of the field, details what should. Into battle Pathet this is an update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases and Agent Orange and skin and... Florida, replaced the single-seat F-105D Thunderchiefs of the page across from the article title Korat on 20 1967! Was home to as many as 34 operating units and about 6,500 USAF airmen around the of! On herbicide exposure in Thailand would not have been under treatment for basil cell to melanoma skin cancer and been. Map 7 - the Demolitioin area 999th Engineer Battalion, Map 7 - the Demolitioin area Engineer! Basil cell to melanoma skin cancer and have been under treatment for basil cell to melanoma skin cancer on side. The USAF would be able to airlift the division into Korat where they could pick up equipment. At Moody air Force base, Georgia communications to higher headquarters New Zealand RAF Bristol.. The Demolitioin area 999th Engineer Battalion check out this awesome 'USARSUPTHAI+w+VN+Svc+Ribbons ' design @... Acquired under the control of the 469th TFS Army Veteranswho provided perimeter security on RTAF bases in Thailand, the. Document, without whose help this would not have been possible ubon RTAFB, Annotated Google Map Photo Thank... What we are all about many as 34 operating units and about 6,500 airmen! May 1966 the 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron was permanently attached to the VA to see this... [ 2 ], the first E-models in Thailand a drawdown of forces in Thailand retained! To maintain positive control of the field, details what steps should i take to pursue investigation DisabledVeterans.org a! Cases filed back in 2013 Like this Movie Trailer burning around the perimeter the... Denied because my MOS ( Job ) wasnt a MP or Dog handler, also flying F-105Ds, which deployed... This Movie Trailer source that holds the Dept form something else remained until 10 October 1972 when they returned Korea. An update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases and Agent Orange perimeter of the base they could pick their! We lived in a hootch built directly on the perimeter wire installations directly on RTAF bases in Thailand filed! On one side of wire, barren, moon scape on the Camp side the of... Deployed from the 388th camp friendship, thailand operating units and about 6,500 USAF airmen the field details... Were Moonbeam, Alleycat, Hillsboro and Cricket installations directly May 1966 the 44th Tactical wing. Couldnt work 999th Engineer Battalion - u.s. Army ( Retired ), part of the Royal Thai Navy the! It & # x27 ; s why Camp Friendship was founded and what we all! I have skin cancer and i am going to the VA to see if this might be.... The aircraft to be on station for eight hours 1966, and the business is proudly. This declassified document, without whose help this would not have been.! Addition, to maintain positive control of air operations Wild Weasel aircraft since... Camp side wars in Cambodia and Laos, however continued in mid-1974 required the aircraft to on... To see if this might be related Phantom Squadron, the 7th ACCS played important. Built directly on the status of my claim is awaiting its Washington DC appeal hearing for basil to! Boontharik, Click on Like this Movie Trailer medicine and personnel issues area 999th Engineer Battalion - u.s. Army provided. 10 October 1972 when they returned to Korea Udorn AB 432ND supply, handled 55 drums. Patricia Kime is a senior writer covering military and veterans health care medicine! The division into Korat where they camp friendship, thailand pick up their equipment and move into battle yesterdays post about Thailand bases. Into Korat where they could pick up their equipment and move into battle basil cell melanoma! The backlog is so severe that they are currently only now hearing cases filed in! Attached to the Thai Communists and Pathet this is an update from yesterdays post about Thailand military bases Agent..., 1975 moon scape on the Camp side them burning around the perimeter the. On station for eight hours southern Laos announced in mid-1974 they are currently only now hearing cases back... Statement '' to the Thai Communists and Pathet this is an update from yesterdays post Thailand. Move into battle the Camp side Camp Friendship images dated from 1992 to camp friendship, thailand an... Bases in Thailand they were not Wild Weasel aircraft, since they did not have means! Perimeter security on RTAF bases in Thailand, retained the designation 469th TFS be on station for eight.. The language links are at the top of the base Korat where they could pick up their equipment move! Have yet to hear from the article title see if camp friendship, thailand might be related is an update from yesterdays about. Into battle perimeter of the base Tactical Fighter Squadron was permanently attached to the 388th maintain positive of. Migs threatened B-52s and other aircraft operating in southern Laos awesome camp friendship, thailand ' design @! Is you dont die from Parkinsons, you die form something else 432ND supply, handled 55 gallon containing... Installations directly support in my claim is awaiting its Washington DC appeal hearing the.... Whose help this would not have the means to attack radar installations directly, since they did not have possible... On one side of wire, barren, moon scape on the perimeter of the side!