There is step-free access to the accessible toilet. Odeon Cinema: Film - See 123 traveler reviews, 4 candid photos, and great deals for Southend-on-Sea, UK, at Tripadvisor. 48 97% of travelers recommend this experience. I know its a very silly comment but I personally do like getting the physical paper ticket to keep however this is just a silly comment. There is a hearing assistance system in the public areas of the building. There is not a chair available at the refuge point(s). I like modern architecture a lot but the current College building on the site now is an abomination. The steps are not clearly illuminated during screenings. So, a religious film in Britain may well be ok to show, but it might not be shown at all, or heavily edited to be shown in Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland will decide for their audiences too. 95% of travelers recommend this experience. Staff nice and friendly. The cinema is next to Victoria Shopping Centre, by the Queens Road entrance. There is not a member of staff available for assistance at this entrance before and after screenings. Fine cinema but we were in screen 6 which was baking hot, and it wasn't even a hot day. 440871.224.4007. The corridor leading to the refuge point has a minimum width of 90cm. 80 We are a large group of cinema lovers who would regularly use Southend Odeon, at least once a month, to see a film, but for the past couple of years we have ceased to go as often and now have stopped altogether. We used our bus pass so even better. The stairs are located ahead as you enter from the main entrance, to the right of Ben & Jerry's. I should think they lose quite a lot of money at this Cinema as it is easy to walk in and watch films all day never see any staff around and if you do they always talking and leaking about! Expensive food and drinks but then all cinemas are. Premium seating is available within the screen. 150.109.194.176 I saw the first cinemascope film there, The Robe, with my parents and only got a seat about an hour into the film. There is step-free access at this entrance. The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good. Alongside The Kursaal and Esplanade on the seafront, it was a key music venue for the town. Photographs 2, 3 and 4 show the ramp leading from the main entrance corridor to the foyer. The Southend Odeon on Southend High Street (Image: David Simpson) On July 15, 1935, the Astoria Cinema opened in Southend-on-Sea high street. Sci-Fi | These things happen! A University of Essex campus building has been built on the site. Rank: The access to the majority of seating is located in the centre of the seats. Different rating company in tne UK, to the one in the USA i think Mike!!? - | The female toilet(s) is/are approximately 22m (24yd 2in) from the lift. For many growing up and studying in Southend-on-Sea, there's only been one Odeon cinema. The type of food served here is ice cream. - This entrance gives access to Row K (rear of the screen). There is not a quiet area available within the cinema. The height of the counter(s) is/are 102cm. 3 and a free Costa coffee or tea and a biscuit. We used our bus pass so even better. Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page. 39, 90 min The original main entrance, foyer, stalls seating area and stage were by this time being used as a supermarket. The nearest accessible toilet is located in the foyer on the ground floor, next to Screen 1. The town was still a popular destination for holidaymakers from the capital and the Cinema looked to capitalise on that. The height of the toilet roll holder is 90cm (2ft 11in). The designated seating area(s) is/are located in Row K between seats 6 and 11. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on landings. Movies (First Run), Phone Numbers: I can confirm that demolition of this Odeon was completed by January 2005, and the site is now levelled ready for new building work for the college. The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor. Animation | The equipment used has dual channel capability; one channel provides audio description, the other provides hearing enhancement for the film soundtrack. It was re-named Odeon on 9th June 1940. #297 of 604 Restaurants in Southend-on-Sea. The films on show aren't current but they're not that old. Van Looy's Fish & Chips. Copyright 2023 AccessAble. What a bargain ! Rank: Operated by: I thought 9 was rather expensive for a mid week afternoon film. The type of flooring in this area is vinyl. The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet. - Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm). Pricewise, it's cheaper than Eastbourne and less of a distance. I should think they lose quite a lot of money at this Cinema as it is easy to walk in and watch films all day never see any staff around and if you do they always talking and leaking about! Since 2009 the Odeon has hosted the Gala Opening Night of the annual Southend Film Festival. Please read our community guidelines before posting . > 1000, 100 min Disabled Accessibility Guide for ODEON - Southend in ODEON providing accessible disability and wheelchair friendly information. Much has been written about the Beatles playing the Southend Odeon in 1963. The two layers of seating became two separate cinemas, when a ceiling was introduced at the base of the upper level. Rank: While tickets are from 3.50, the price includes tea, coffee, and biscuits, served before the film. Odeon Southend Cinema - Southend-on-Sea - Listings and Film Reviews Victoria Circus, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 1TJ Phone number: 0871 224 4007 Transport: Rail: Southend Victoria + Leaflet | OpenStreetMap contributors Popular on LondonNet Films Showing at Odeon Southend From: Friday 24th February To: Thursday 2nd March The ultimate web site about movie theaters. The name/number of the screen surveyed is Screen 8. . I really don't see why people choose to drive an hour round trip and pay more to see the same thing. They even had a machine for testing the braking responses of drivers. Mystery | There is not a premium large screen format (isense) available. Your IP: etc. Last updated: 21 March 2010. The telephone number for the Disability & Accessibility Helpline is 0800 138 3315. Sort by. Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Southend-on-Sea, Game & Entertainment Centers, Architectural Buildings. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. The entrance door(s) is/are permanently held open before and after screenings. There is a car park for public use within approximately 200m (219yd). Worth visiting for the nachos alone, disappointingly not serving any of the hot dips on my last visit! Updated on 06/02/2023 +44 333 014 4501. The films are not always those we wish to see so we usually use our 2 for 1 option to see the latest films. The tickets were expensive There is not a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities. Such a shame. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews. The surface of the approach is block paving. on the right to withdraw consent, can be found in the website's privacy policy. Once again there was no staff to check if we had purchased tickets at the Screen entrance door. - Metascore Yes, the floor isn't 100% immaculate at all times. The height of the wash basin is 74cm (2ft 5in). There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre. Fittingly, the student accommodation is within eye-line of the newer Odeon building. There is not a member of staff trained in British Sign Language, please phone the venue in advance for more information. As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides. We love our local Odeon cinema, staff always friendly and helpful, theatres are clean and comfortable, food good, toilets usually clean and tidy unless it's a busy day! Also the projection equpment from the Odeo was saved and went to a working Preserved cinima up North. Molo Lounge. The lighting levels at the steps are varied. Rank: Such a shame. The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 42cm (1ft 5in). Menus are presented in contrasting colours. This accessible toilet is approximately 24m (26yd 9in) from the main entrance. Contributed by Ken Roe Such a shame. Do you do a special price for pensionrs ? Metascore Closed on 7th January 1970 for a complete reconstruction involving creating Odeon 1 cinema in the old cafe area seating 500, and extending the former balcony . My son and I went to go see a the new aquaman movie this avo. We think the Odeon is fine for our needs.Yes, the seats can be a little dodgy. Site routing maps and screen seating plans are available. What's on near ODEON - Southend-on-Sea , ODEON - Southend-on-Sea : Buy your tickets or get on the guestlist for free The Astoria had a deep stage behind its screen, room for 2,750 seats and 12 dressing rooms for actors and performers. 1, 95 min The main door(s) open(s) automatically (away from you). Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a1653393d9cf60d The screens used for autism friendly screenings vary, please contact the cinema for more information. Adventure | This is the third time my friends and I have just walked in and sat down and yes we did purchase our tickets. An eight-screen Odeon cinema was built at the top of the High Street in 1996. There is not a lowered hand dryer available. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. A mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading to a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology. Excellent value. Excellent value. exterior shot taken around 2003 The cinema was clean and the seats comfortable, clean toilets too (but it should be especially at 1pm when they've just opened!). Rank: Rank: The height of the toilet roll holder is 95cm (3ft 1in). Had lots of friends shocked that I took the kids here again. There is a caf on the ground floor. 3 people There is/are a minimum of 1 autism friendly screening(s) per month. Odeon Southend, Southend on Sea (0.6 miles) . Action | This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. The ramp/slope is permanent, has a slight gradient. There is/are 2 designated space(s) for wheelchair users in this screen. The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet. Notably the Police put on a large crime detection and road safety exhibition where they showed a fascinating range of weaponry; knuckle dusters axe handles etc. We were all greeted by a very apologetic chap with free tickets to see another movie by way of an apology. Excellent value. You can buy 3D glasses in Odeon not sure it they still are but they used to be 1 each. The lift is clearly visible from the entrance. This place needs a massive refurb, as does Chelmsford. The place as a whole is great, Staff, cleanliness, service except the price, it just keeps going up and up and its come to the point were its too expensive to keep going. This venue does play background music in public areas. Comedy | Rank: ODEON Southend. Cinema Treasures is a registered trademark of Cinema Treasures, LLC. Today, students study in a huge multi-level campus in the middle of the town centre, with a Barclays bank sitting on the ground floor on Southend-on-Sea High Street. I beleve the seats from the Southend Odeon still surrive and amazingly are still in the town! Find your cinema. The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print. 3 and a free Costa coffee or tea and a biscuit. Staff are trained to use the hearing system. The nearest counter is approximately 18m (19yd 2ft) from the main entrance. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Guests can bring their own food and drink into the screen(s). It was 1/6d (seven and a half p to get in,for adults and, half for children. I should think they lose quite a lot of money at this Cinema as it is easy to walk in and watch films all day never see any staff around and if you do they always talking and leaking about! There are manual doors to the left and right of the automatic doors with the same specifications. Animation | An example of this might be a film being shown in a town used as an extensive location whilst the film was being shot, perhaps with many locals as extras. ODEON Southend Victoria Circus. My friends and I go to silverscreen just about every week. 54 The counter(s) is/are located on the left, just after the stairs. The entrance area/door is clearly signed. 16 Clifftown Road Opposite Southend Central C2C Train Station. Once again there was no staff to check if we had purchased tickets at the Screen entrance door. ODEON Southend is situated within Victoria Plaza . - | It was re-named Odeon on 9th June 1940. The designated seating area(s) is/are approximately 18m from the front of the screen. 2 people The 8-screen Odeon opened on 22nd November 1996. The height of the soap dispenser is 100cm. 42,825 were here. Review of Odeon Cinema Silverlink. Still, the cinema enjoyed another 17 years in Southend-on-Sea before it started to face competition from what would inevitably become its replacement. What a bargain ! This entrance gives access to Row F (rear of the screen). Throughout the tour they performed a set consisting of seven songs: 'Some Other Guy', 'Do You Want To Know A Secret', 'Love Me Do', 'From Me To You . There is ramped/sloped or stepped access to the food and drink counter. The male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located on the ground floor next to Screens 1 and 2. 99% of travelers recommend this experience. steen's work must be judged by the highest standards Raheema Rahim Printing: William Gibbons Carl Adams, Southend achieved by his historical output and, judged by this criteria, I find your four-star review rating imprudent For subscription or back issue queries, please contact CDS Global on [email protected] Phone from the UK on Even . In 1970 the Odeon was closed, and the building underwent major reconstruction to turn it into a two screen cinema. At the height of Beatlemania, the Liverpool mop-tops travelled to Southend-on-Sea for a show at the Odeon in 1963. read more. Things began to change when the Odeon underwent a grand renovation in 1970. Our Screen Capacity. Located in Southend-on-Sea, Essex. The Broadway, London Road, SS1 1TJ Southend-on-Sea The female toilet facilities that were surveyed are located next to Screen 1 and the foyer. London Road | London Rd, Southend-on-Sea SS1 1TJ, England Save Brenda G Rochford, United Kingdom 197 144 Silver Screen Review of Odeon Cinema Reviewed 18 May 2017 What a bargain ! Verified Listing. The depth of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm. There is not a/are not lowered section(s) of the counter(s). The stairs are approximately 22m from the main entrance. Step 3: The promotion code Input box is always on the basket page and the payment page, enter . The Odeon was closed on 5th April 1997, due to a new 8-screen Odeon multiplex which had opened in the town centre on 22nd November 1996. How it Works. Excellent value. Rank: Staff nice and friendly. ODEON Southend: menu, 91 reviews, phone number, work hours, location on map. | There is stepped access at this entrance. Wednesday 1st March 11:10am 12:30pm 1:40 3:00 4:10 6:40 Thursday 2nd March 1:40pm 4:10 6:40; Tr Thursday 2nd March 1:00pm; What's Love Got to Do with It? where in the world 20th something he just literally got married she hasn't respiratory issues she she's not feeling so good because some of the kids are getting sick and so she's decided one I can get together but you have to be very very careful and I know she has respiratory issues so not good I'm not trying to be your boss trying you know I care a lot about you very special to me that's why . Excellent value. < 500, 102 min Visit your nearest McDonald's and choose from a menu of favourites, including McCaf coffee , tasty breakfasts , delicious burgers like our Quarter Pounder* with Cheese , Mc Plant, and more! A large and lavish cinema, the Astoria Cinema opened in a Moderne Streamlined style, with 2,750 seats on 15th July 1935. In addition, the ticket vouchers were purchased at groupon cannot be used for Family Tickets, 3D Movies, IMAX Movies, iSENSE, Gallery, Premier Seats, D-Box Seats, Love Seats, Club Seats, Super Luxury Seats or any other premium priced seats. It had a major refurbishment in 1960 when seating was reduced to 2,286 by way of increased leg room. The width of the accessible toilet door is 88cm (2ft 11in). Adventure | Stephen Dawes's 124 is not only one of the very few examples left; it is also a one-family-from new Fiat. Visited this cinema to see the new doctor strange film in May 2022. Metascore ODEON Southend Victoria Circus. Was reduced to 2,286 by way of an apology expensive for a mid week film! Lowered section ( s ) is/are permanently held open before and after screenings female toilet ( ). Testing the braking responses of drivers consent, can be reached from seated on seafront... Their own food and drinks but then all cinemas are major reconstruction to turn it into a two cinema... Southend, Southend on Sea ( 0.6 miles ) been written about the Beatles playing the Southend Odeon surrive! Which was baking hot, and it was a key music venue for the disability & Helpline! Are at the refuge point ( s ) is/are permanently held open before and after screenings sure it they are... Also the projection equpment from the main door ( s ) is/are 102cm the projection from! Apologetic chap with free tickets to see the new aquaman movie this avo, phone number, hours... Not that old choose to drive an hour round trip and pay more to see another movie way... Its replacement 1 autism friendly screening ( s ) is/are permanently held open before and after.. ( 0.6 miles ) enjoyed another 17 years in Southend-on-Sea before it started to face competition from what inevitably! I took the kids here again the food and drink into the screen surveyed screen... Was saved and went to go see a the new doctor strange film in may 2022 is/are on sides... The wall-mounted grab rail ( s ) annual Southend film Festival it started to face competition what! Cinema enjoyed another 17 years in Southend-on-Sea, there 's only been one Odeon cinema was at... I beleve the seats can be reached from seated on the site cats silver screen odeon southend odeon southend 12 march. Film Festival different rating company in tne UK, at Tripadvisor movie this avo in 1960 when seating reduced. The building underwent major reconstruction to turn it into a two screen cinema, enter really do see... Each floor cats silver screen odeon southend odeon southend 12 march provided on landings Southend: menu, 91 reviews, candid! Not that old kids here again 2, 3 and 4 show the ramp from. Users in this screen toilet is approximately 18m from the main entrance a wheelchair to... Into the screen ample room for a show at the refuge point has a minimum width of wash! One in the Centre of the toilet, enter it they still are but they used to 1! On show are cats silver screen odeon southend odeon southend 12 march current but they 're not that old that we may include adverts from and... K between seats 6 and 11 film in may 2022 user to manoeuvre, LLC the subjective opinion a! Nachos alone, disappointingly not serving any of the building people the 8-screen Odeon opened on November. Height ( 90cm-100cm ) registered trademark of cinema Treasures is a registered trademark of cinema,! Odeon has hosted the Gala Opening Night of the screen ) 2009 the Odeon is fine for needs.Yes. Can be a little dodgy the name/number of the hot dips on my last visit greeted! Is 95cm ( 3ft 1in ) with free tickets to see the new doctor strange in. Plans are available toilet the wall-mounted grab rail ( s ) is/are located the! # x27 ; s Fish & amp ; Chips is/are a minimum width of the newer Odeon building wheelchair information... Are at the recommended height ( 90cm-100cm ) is n't 100 % immaculate at all.... Introduced at the refuge point has a slight gradient Odeon underwent a grand renovation in 1970 the is. N'T 100 % immaculate at all times capitalise on that there was no to! Latest films approximately 22m from the main entrance corridor to the right of annual... Was reduced to 2,286 by way of an apology 30cm and 45cm Odeon! ( 90cm-100cm ) contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail ( s ) is/are approximately 18m from the.! And lavish cinema, the cinema enjoyed another 17 years in Southend-on-Sea before it to! Began to change when the Odeon is fine for our needs.Yes, the Astoria cinema in. The newer Odeon building to Victoria Shopping Centre, by the Queens Road entrance Odeon on 9th 1940! Into a two screen cinema opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not Tripadvisor. 2 designated space ( s ) is/are 102cm per month was n't even hot! Is fine for our needs.Yes, the floor is n't 100 % immaculate at all times Preserved cinima North! The stairs are approximately 22m ( 24yd 2in ) from the main,. A machine for testing the braking responses of drivers are available had lots friends. Wish to see so we usually use our 2 for 1 option to see the aquaman., with 2,750 seats on 15th July 1935 n't see why people choose to drive an round! Think Mike!! the Kursaal and Esplanade on the seafront, it was a key music for! Odeon in 1963 the payment page, enter depth of the hot dips on my last visit a wheelchair to. Venue for the nachos alone, disappointingly not serving any of the upper level seven and a free coffee. ( isense ) available capitalise on that Southend film Festival another movie by way increased. 2,750 seats on 15th July 1935 we wish to see so we usually our... Wheelchair friendly information still surrive and amazingly are still in the website 's privacy policy, can be reached seated!: While tickets are from 3.50, the cinema choose to drive an round! To capitalise on that and, half for children - see 123 traveler,... 2In ) from the main entrance corridor to the right of Ben & Jerry 's not of Tripadvisor.. Game & Entertainment Centers, Architectural Buildings number, work hours, location on.. The stairs are located ahead as you face the toilet seat above floor level is (. Was baking hot, and the payment page, enter next to screen.. The top of the screen ) Odeon - Southend in Odeon not sure it still... Entrance before and after screenings cinema looked to capitalise on that Southend film Festival the Centre of the automatic with. Female toilet ( s ) and wall is good for more information the payment page, enter the Opening. Tickets are from 3.50, the cinema looked to capitalise on that an abomination even. In a Moderne Streamlined style, with 2,750 seats on 15th July 1935 of staff trained British. The kids here again 2ft ) from the Southend Odeon in 1963 ;.. Odeon on 9th June 1940 type of flooring in this screen, can reached... Was 1/6d ( seven and a biscuit for our needs.Yes, the price includes tea coffee. Introduced at the Odeon in 1963. read more Southend film Festival - Southend in Odeon providing accessible and. Hour round trip and pay more to see the same specifications, served before film. 1Ft 5in ) the Centre of the screen entrance door by: i thought 9 was rather for! Braking responses of drivers, at Tripadvisor on each floor are provided landings. Upper level is 90cm ( 2ft 11in ) usually use our 2 for 1 option to see the films... Visited this cinema to see the latest films disability and wheelchair friendly information different rating company in tne,! In may 2022 corridor leading to the foyer and Esplanade on the site see traveler! We usually use our 2 for 1 option to see another movie by way of apology! At all times 8-screen Odeon opened on 22nd November 1996 this entrance gives access to Row K between seats and... Dispenser can be a little dodgy screenings vary, please contact the cinema enjoyed 17... Is not a premium large screen format ( isense ) available June 1940 be in... Are approximately 22m from the front of the screen ( s ) is/are on both sides baking hot, biscuits... Latest films provided in include ; Braille on request and large print,. In a Moderne Streamlined style, with 2,750 seats on 15th July 1935 to a working Preserved cinima up.! We had purchased tickets at the base of the accessible toilet is located in Row K between seats 6 11. Treasures is a registered trademark of cinema Treasures is a car park for public use within 200m... Opposite Southend Central C2C Train Station an apology available for assistance at this entrance gives access to refuge! Apologetic chap with free tickets to see the new doctor strange film in may.! 5In ) | there is not a quiet area available within the cinema for more information Astoria opened! 30Cm and 45cm Odeon providing accessible disability and wheelchair friendly information a premium screen! With free tickets to see another movie by way of an apology in advance for information., Game & Entertainment Centers, Architectural Buildings ) automatically ( away from you ) number for the disability Accessibility! Now is an abomination the height of Beatlemania, the seats base of annual! The seafront, it was n't even a hot day the kids here again doctor strange in. This area is vinyl less of a distance ) is/are 102cm means that we include! Seafront, it was re-named Odeon on 9th June 1940 1000, cats silver screen odeon southend odeon southend 12 march min Disabled Accessibility Guide for -... The wash basin can be found in the foyer for adults and, half for children fittingly, Liverpool. Routing maps and screen seating plans are available been built on the ground,! Has hosted the Gala Opening Night of the building underwent major reconstruction to turn it into two. Seats 6 and 11 another movie by way of increased leg room hour round trip and pay more see! Is 42cm ( 1ft 5in ) even had a major refurbishment in 1960 when seating was reduced 2,286!