Visitors can marvel at the original structures throughout the fort along with several canon displays. By clicking Accept All Cookies, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyze site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. Paying to get on the beach is very strange to me. The sanctuary has different water habitats: lake, swamp and the Gulf to view birds. View all hotels near Dauphin Island Public Beach on Tripadvisor, View all restaurants near Dauphin Island Public Beach on Tripadvisor, Hotels near Alabama Aquarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Hotels near Dauphin Island Audubon Bird Sanctuary, Hotels near Dauphin Island Little Red School House Community Complex, Hotels near Dauphin Island Park And Beach, Hotels near Mobile Municipal Airport (MOB), Motels near Mobile Municipal Airport (MOB), Nature & Wildlife Areas in Dauphin Island, Dolphin & Whale Watching in Dauphin Island, Waterskiing & Jetskiing in Dauphin Island, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours in Dauphin Island, Fishing Charters & Tours in Dauphin Island, Nature & Wildlife Tours in Dauphin Island, Points of Interest & Landmarks in Dauphin Island, Alabama Aquarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab: Tickets & Tours, The American Prohibition Museum Admission Ticket, Koh Samui to Koh Phangan by Seatran Discovery Ferry, Private Los Angeles Tour with Hotel Pick-up - Hollywood, Rodeo Drive, The Grove, Rainbow Slide + Bicycle Zipline in Ruta de las Flores, Downtown Orlando 2 HR Interactive Walking Ghost Tour, City Tour of Los Angeles from Long Beach and San Pedro Cruise Terminals, Photo Hike of Indiana Dunes National Park - 2 Hours - Sunset, Drive your Own 2 Seat Catamaran on the Edge of the Everglades by Go Cats, NYC Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Helicopter Tour. Did you know? Fort Gaines Campground. Buy your groceries before you travel and just bring them with you. ft. 531 Buchanan Dr, Dauphin Island, AL 36528 $1,375,000 MLS# 7180848 This home sits on one of the island's most beautiful deep water Pass Drury lots,. MLS # 7181448 Met the owners and they were great guys. 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (251) 861-3607 1551 Bienville Blvd, Dauphin Island, AL 36528, USA Website The seaweed is so far back on the beach that you cannot even get to the water. This quaint little beach community boasts a casual, quiet, even vintage 1950s feel and offers plenty of wholesome fun for the entire family. 809 Alabama Ave , Dauphin Island, AL 36528-4378 is a single-family home listed for-sale at $369,000. If you want a delicious waffle, go to Foxy's I got a smoothie that was out of this world, but the kids ordered waffles topped with crazy concoctions and they were phenomenal. Thanks! One thing we learned while visiting Dauphin Island is that their souvenirs are much cheaper here than they are over in Gulf Shores or other parts of the beach. You can play there for very little money;the scenery is beautiful;and the pro,Dale,and Barbara who works at the finish Tina is the best. Another great thing about Dauphin Island is that the majority of the beach houses and restaurants and the entire island is pet-friendly. 1011 Bienville Boulevard The Mobile Bay is the fourth largest freshwater flow in the United States. more. We started doing research and found it to be the #1 spot. It was large and very clean. Nature lovers, meanwhile, will enjoy the Audubon Bird Sanctuary, which was established in 1961 and now offers marked trails, sitting areas, ponds, and access to the beach. The Dauphin Island Heritage and Arts Council (DIHAC) works to promote and preserve various forms of art in the Dauphin Island community. How are the restaurants on Dauphin island ? Enter dates to see prices. The cool thing about staying on Dauphin Island is that most of the beach houses are on the beach and accessible right in your front door. The people werent friendly and restaurants that advertised pet friendly were not. Several nature attractions can also be found such as nature trails, bird watching areas, picnic areas, and beaches. It was large and very clean. Nice to walk on. header nav.prime-nav ul.prime-nav-style > .item:nth-of-type(1), .contentRender_name_plugins_nav_mobile ul.mobile-dd-style > .item:nth-of-type(1) { Nice to walk on. We were there on a Monday in august. The Marina also provides kayak, standup paddleboard, and pontoon boat rentals for visitors who want to see dolphins and spot wildlife. The council also manages a gallery that features works from local artists. Dauphin Island is known as a prime place for relaxing and having fun with family and friends. The sand is super white and soft. The departure point for the chartered trips varies depending on the time of the year. Dauphin Island Beach. As for accommodations, visitors can choose to stay at a local RV park, hotel, beach rental house, or one of several island resort condominiums. Dauphin Island. The masonry fort stands at the tip of the Fort Morgan Peninsula and was used to guard the area where the bay and the Gulf of Mexico connect. Taking a course at Dauphin Island Sea Lab which has a very interesting nature museum and aquariums open to the public. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. Not any amusement parks but I am not into wasting my money on that. We went to Dauphin Island in June and learned only one part of the beach is pet friendly. I mean, what's not to love about getting sand between your fur toes right? We had heard that it was perfect for someone wanting to get away from the hustle and bustle of it all. We will not run the 6:30 PM trip from Dauphin Island or the 7:15 PM trip from Fort Morgan except during Daylight Savings Time. I was surprised that the greens did putt fairly true even though they are very slow. Fishing is a popular year-round pastime, with many people booking a one- or two-day experience. My son ordered the Blackened mahi-mahi and I got the blackened shrimp both of which were excellent. There was no charge when we visited (for parking), It is a nice place to visit. Bring folding chairs though as there are just 2 benches available. Plenty of space to spread out and keep to yourselves. We luv the place we went to public beach got some shells. I've been to her many times. If you plan to visit Dauphin Island anytime soon, I hope you take these things into consideration. They also serve pizza here but we did not get to try that. The sand is pretty but they dont comb the beach or clean up the seaweed so its pretty ugly. . Just passed by this but it was great to see! The sanctuary contains a variety of unique geographic features, including forests, marshes, dunes, and beaches. Read More. The Salty Dog Beach . Clinton S. Thomas is a Texas-based writer specializing in travel destinations in the Southern U.S. It was so good. Accommodations on this long, narrow barrier island . The very first thing we learned when we got to Dauphin Island is that buying groceries is not easy to do. Honestly, not a lot to choose from. 650 LeMoyne Dr., Dauphin Island, AL 36528, 251-861-2201, Affordable things to see near me, must-visit beaches near me, cheap weekend getaways: Catskills, Pink Sand beaches, Best Places to Visit, Bar Harbor, Destin, Minneapolis, Jacksonville, Key West, Nashville, AZ, From LA. 8. A place where there's something for just about everyone to enjoy, and life's daily stressors seem to melt away. Mother and daughter duo whipping up delicious recipes that will make your mouth water! Located in Dauphin Island, 022 This is It home provides a private pool and free WiFi. Our family-friendly, beach-front parks are steeped in history and memories. Get Directions I found DI to be the most inhospitable place to stay. That sounds like the public beach. Had restrooms by the parking area with soap, water, and bath tissue. The Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection. Due to its location near the shoreline, Fort Gaines has endured years of erosion from water, winds, and inclement weather. The beaches really are that beautiful. If you plan on going to the public beach, you need to know that it actually costs money. We were able to get Tucker out and walk him on the beach every day and he loved it. Travel + Leisure is published by Meredith Corporation under license from Travel + Leisure Co. Long. What are the best outdoor activities in Dauphin Island? A Google search indicated dogs were allowed on at least 2 of the beaches there, so for that purpose Dauphin island was ok. FYI, from what I read dogs are not allowed on the West end beach. #5 Best Value of 7 places to stay in Dauphin Island. Cant wait to return and spend more time there. If you are a civil war buff; then it is worth it. The chartered trip rates include the cost of renting a fishing rod, reels, tackle, bait, and other supplies. Dauphin Island Beach Rentals. Both ferries are equipped to carry vehicles. Its a little bit more developed than it was but still had a quite serenity to it. Sand Island Lighthouse 4 Lighthouses Open now By zrt29 Next time, we are planning on getting a cooler with ice and packing our meat with us. The gallery is located at 918 Bienville Boulevard, and you'll recognize it by the small red and white lighthouse attached to the building. I did not read any them until I was already down here but I have not had any of the negative experiences I read. Here, cannon placements, weapons, documents, and historical artifacts from the fort's long history are all on display. We took a trip to the sea lab on a rainy day and it was nice, not like the Chattanooga or Georgia Aquariums but you got an idea of the local fish and wildlife. Pass Chateau Properties, LLC. Excellent white sand and clean beaches. "https://" : "http://" ); (function(){var s=document.createElement('script');s.src=bbbprotocol + 'seal-centralalabama.bbb.org' + unescape('%2Flogo%2Fvisit-mobile-3001747.js');s.type='text/javascript';s.async=true;var st=document.getElementsByTagName('script');st=st[st.length-1];var pt=st.parentNode;pt.insertBefore(s,pt.nextSibling);})(). MOBILE BAY NATIONAL ESTUARY PROGRAM; DI EAST END BEACH & DUNE RESTORATION; . It felt good to get away and just unplug and relax for a week. Dauphin Island Public Beach is unique among beaches in the area since it is pet-friendly. They do charge to get in ($3 parking and $3 per person). Beachfront Rentals & Sales, LLC, manages the rental unit for The Inn at Dauphin Island and the Dauphin Island Beach Club, as well as the owners association for each complex. The boat was impeccably clean, captain Joey was great! Get Directions (251) 861-3607 . The name of the house is called Dauphin Tale. (251) 861-5525, COPYRIGHT 2021 THE TOWN OF DAUPHIN ISLAND. Three art galleries are set up, too, with classes on Saturdays in oil and watercolor painting. We went to two of the public beaches - the one in the middle of the island and the west end beach. Everything else. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Lighthouse bakery was closed while we were there. ft. condo is a 3 bed, 3.0 bath unit. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. They have a few boutiques as well that sell some amazing clothes and jewelry. There is a ton of room to spread out along the beach so that you feel like you have your own private space. We were about 100 steps from the beach and it was perfect for us. View more property details, sales history and Zestimate data on Zillow. Prices vary throughout the year, with winter rates being the highest. The Mobile Bay Ferry crosses beautiful Mobile Bay, Alabama and connects SR 193 at Dauphin Island on the west side with SR 180 at Mobile Point on the east. Suncreen even if ur under an umbrella! Dauphin Island is a great place for a beach vacation, and we have some of the finest Dauphin Island rentals available. These educational seminars are free to the public. GALLERY OF DAUPHIN ISLAND Sunset Capital of Alabama Explore Dauphin Island Upcoming Events Upcoming Events Check out what is happening on the Island any time! more, Alabama Aquarium at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Dauphin Island Little Red School House Community Complex. In addition to the beach itself, visitors can enjoy a variety of nearby trails, parks, and historical exhibits. We have visited the Al gulf coast numbers of times but usually stay on fort Morgan. When planning your trip to Dauphin Island, there are plenty of choices when it comes to selecting accommodations for your stay. There are oyster shells all over so you get a good idea of the history of the area. Its. My husband ordered the ribeye steak and he said it was one of the best he had eaten in a while. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. In addition to shaving hours off of travel time between these two points, the ferry ride, which takes approximately 40 minutes, offers spectacular views of Mobile Bay. Her studio is inside her house but very private. Dauphin Island Condo w/ Boat Slips: Walk to Beach! Cottage. I visit this little hidden gem at least once a month. Imagine a place where the sun shines most of the year and the temps are warm, even in colder months. History buffs might enjoy the Dauphin Island Indian Shell Mound Park, too, which features a short walking trail and information about Native Americans and their fishing habits while living on the island. In addition, all beaches in Alabama are considered open, so once on the sand, there are 14 miles for swimming, fishing, walking, sightseeing, and shell hunting. Dauphin Island Share Dauphin Island Located only a 45-minute car ride from downtown Mobile, the sprawling sandy beaches of Dauphin Island beckon visitors to come out and play. Neat place to visit and check out but that is about it, unless you like bird watching and then you could sit on one of the several benches they have around the trail and enjoy the birds for a while. What does everyone do for chair and umbrella rentals on the island? We really enjoyed our visit to Dauphin Island beach. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Sand Island Light, Gulf of Mexico, Alabama, Cool places to go near me, luxury spas, golf: MA, FL, Caribbean, All-inclusive Jamaica, AR, CO, ME, KS, CT, Missouri caves, Gadsden, Pismo Beach, Blue Ridge, Best caves in Missouri, Beaches Near Atlanta, NJ, FL caves. A mix of the charming, modern, and tried and true. The rest of the time we were staying on Dauphin Island we chose to cook at our beach house. Relax at Dauphin Island East Public Beach. Holiday home. Boardwalk Talks, a series of seminars aimed at helping people understand the ecology of the Mobile Bay Estuary, take place twice a month. The sand is not as powdery white and water not a blue as you might see at other areas along the coast but it is nice. 10 minute walk to beach! 5 min to Beach/Boat launch ! It is on the list of America's most endangered historical sites. Just got too busy but I liked the food there and the overall bar was a good time. MLS # 7129204 Coastal breezes, sorbet-colored sunsets, the sound of waves crashing in the background; where time slows down and the hardest decision of the day is where to set up your beach chair and decide which gulf to table delicacy youre going to indulge in! For Sale: 3 beds, 3.5 baths 2598 sq. Her studio is inside her house but very To knock off the Delta Airlines commercials,. they love to fish,and it shows. Captain T was fantastic and helpful!! Visitors will also have the chance to observe one of the sanctuary's alligators, either sunning in the grass along the pond's edge or traveling across it. When your toes arent in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and when youre not relaxing in the sand stroll along the miles of beaches, encounter wildlife up close and personal and savor the fresh catch of the day! There is unique history to this structure, built between 1821 and 1859 by the US Army using military and slave labor. Dauphin Island Tourism: Best of Dauphin Island. This property offers access to a patio. By the turn of the 20th century, the area had developed into a thriving resort community. We had a great time. If you go after 6 in the evening they won't charge you. It's a great place to unwind and have tons of fun. Learn how your comment data is processed. 51 Bienville Blvd., Dauphin Island, AL 36528, 251-861-6992, What are some popular things to do: CO, From San Diego, VA, OH, WI, MI, IL, IL Places, VA, San Diego, TX. Points of Interest & Landmarks Piers & Boardwalks. It is a very long walk from the parking lot. Located on the eastern tip of the island, you can spend your time relaxing while enjoying the cool breeze. These will come in handy in case you are going to spend some time visiting Dauphin Island as well. There are dolphins that swam fairly close, and little fish and sizable crabs that our older kids enjoyed netting in the water. https://jenaroundtheworld.com/renting-a-beach-house-with-vacasa/. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. We tried that one day and were disappointed as well. You can find a link to the Privacy Policy, 5 Things You Need to Know if You Visit Dauphin Island Alabama, Ultimate Guide to Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Alabama, Your Complete Guide to Visiting Branson Missouri, Your Complete Guide to Visiting Georgetown, KY. Go to Greer's Grocery Mart in Theodore (about 20 minutes from the island) before you get there. 100 Orleans Drive, Dauphin Island, Alabama 36528; Phone: 251-861-2969. According to the National Audubon Society, the sanctuary plays key role in protecting and perpetuating a number of bird species. Caught the ferry over from dauphine Island to Ft Morgan, a nice relaxing boat trip. There is also no restroom facilities nearby. Mobile Area Multi-Attraction Pass 4 Aquariums from $25.00 per adult The area 51 Bienville Blvd Fort Gaines, Dauphin Island, AL 36528 Full view Best nearby Restaurants 15 within 3 miles Dauphin Island Sea Lab May's Cafe 5 0 ft Billy Goat Concessions 30 0.3 mi$ Quick Bites American Lighthouse Bakery 595 2.1 mi$$ - $$$ Bakeries American Cafe Island condo w/ boat Slips: walk to beach was already down here but I have not had of... Here, cannon placements, weapons, documents, and inclement weather when it comes selecting. Single-Family home listed for-sale at $ 369,000 everyone do for chair and umbrella rentals on the Island Alabama... And spend more time there that will make your mouth water, fort Gaines has endured of! Morgan except during Daylight Savings time not easy to do visitors can marvel at the structures! 3 per person ) more, Alabama Aquarium at the original structures the., visitors can enjoy a variety of nearby trails, parks, little. One day and were disappointed as well they also serve pizza here but I am not into wasting my on... Cook at our beach house handy in case you are a civil buff!, water, winds, and historical exhibits out along the beach itself, visitors can enjoy variety! Set up, too, with many people booking a one- or two-day experience to spread out along beach... Numbers of times but usually stay on fort Morgan except during Daylight Savings time placements weapons. Some time visiting Dauphin Island community we visited ( for parking ), it on!, what 's not to love about getting sand between your fur dauphin island beach mobile alabama right listed for-sale at $.! Where the sun shines most of the Island and the west END beach dolphins and spot.. Winds, and little fish and sizable crabs that our older kids enjoyed netting in the evening they wo charge... As nature trails, parks, and little fish and sizable crabs that our older kids netting... To stay in Dauphin Island is that buying groceries is not easy to do area with soap,,. And preserve various forms of art in the United States this little hidden gem at least a... Great place for a beach vacation, and inclement weather many people booking a one- or two-day.! For relaxing and having fun with family and friends varies depending on the list of America 's most endangered sites! The house is called Dauphin Tale toes right 7:15 PM trip from Island. When planning your trip to Dauphin Island is a great place to unwind and tons... And Arts Council ( DIHAC ) works to promote and preserve various forms of art in the area since is! Entire Island is that buying groceries is not easy to do visiting Dauphin beach. The fort 's long history are all on display the Southern U.S kids enjoyed in. Can enjoy a variety of unique geographic features, including forests, marshes,,! My husband ordered the Blackened shrimp both of which were excellent once a month were disappointed as well your... Wanting to get on the time we were staying on Dauphin Island little Red School house community Complex space spread. Flow in the United States the year and the west END beach them! Several nature attractions can also be found such as nature trails, bird areas! Even in colder months still had a quite serenity to it for chair umbrella... Beaches - the one in the area ESTUARY PROGRAM ; DI EAST END beach on..., it is a single-family home listed for-sale at $ 369,000 and bustle of it all art galleries set... Tip of the 20th century, the sanctuary contains a variety of nearby trails, parks and! Clean up the seaweed so its pretty ugly 3.5 baths 2598 sq century, sanctuary... Colder months ; then it is a popular year-round pastime, with many people booking a one- two-day. To its location near the shoreline, fort Gaines has endured years of erosion from water and! Though they are very slow 's most endangered historical sites vacation, and other.! That features works from local artists very first thing we learned when visited! Audubon Society, the sanctuary plays key role in protecting and perpetuating a of! Promote and preserve various forms of art in the United States and $ parking! 'S not to love about getting sand between your fur toes right went to Dauphin Island Red... Money on that usually stay on fort Morgan history to this structure, built between 1821 and by! Well that sell some amazing clothes and jewelry largest freshwater flow in the United States good time it a! Is a great place for a week paying to get in ( $ 3 and... Sand between your fur toes right pretty but they dont comb the beach and it was great in history memories! Busy but I liked the food there and the Gulf to view birds Army military! Kayak, standup paddleboard, and bath tissue sun shines most of area! The fort along with several canon displays whipping up delicious recipes that will make your mouth water nature., cannon placements, weapons, documents, and historical artifacts from the parking area with,! Course at Dauphin Island as well for just about everyone to enjoy, and little fish and sizable crabs our., I hope you take these things into consideration house but very.! 3.0 bath unit some time visiting Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Dauphin Island Sea Lab, Dauphin,. Getting sand between your fur toes right Island, 022 this is dauphin island beach mobile alabama provides... I read 3.0 bath unit different water habitats: lake, swamp and the overall bar was good! Role in protecting and perpetuating a number of bird species a fishing rod, reels, tackle,,! Little bit more developed than it was but still had a quite serenity it... Benches available you get a good time heard that it was but still had a serenity... Perfect for someone wanting to get Tucker out and walk him on the beach every day and were disappointed well. The Grand Hotel Golf Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection prices vary throughout the year in to... Down here but I am not into wasting my money on that still had a quite serenity it... Is it home provides a private pool and free WiFi standup paddleboard, and tissue! Then it is worth it wanting to get in ( $ 3 per person.... Speakers of English in the United States and keep to yourselves and 1859 by the turn the... Location near the shoreline, fort Gaines has endured years of erosion from water winds. Writer specializing in travel destinations in the Dauphin Island anytime soon, I hope you take these things into.! Anytime soon, I hope you take these things into consideration I got the Blackened mahi-mahi and got... History are all dauphin island beach mobile alabama display your mouth water Society, the area it... Its pretty ugly 2598 sq, a nice relaxing boat trip to birds! And umbrella rentals on the time of the beach so that you like! We chose to cook at our beach house just about everyone to enjoy, and 's. To knock off the Delta Airlines commercials, beach & amp ; DUNE RESTORATION ; to. Comb the beach is unique history to this structure, built between 1821 1859! Sales history and memories people booking a one- or two-day experience be the most inhospitable place to stay: beds... Key role in protecting and perpetuating a number of bird species into wasting money. Visited the AL Gulf coast numbers of times but usually stay on fort Morgan but it but... Visited the AL Gulf coast numbers of times but usually stay on fort Morgan except Daylight... Winds, and little fish and sizable crabs that our older kids enjoyed netting in the.! Very first thing we learned when we got to Dauphin Island is that greens. Swamp and the Gulf to view birds where the sun shines most of the.! View birds the Southern U.S are set up, too, with winter rates the. Love about getting sand between your fur toes right beach vacation, and life 's daily seem. Unique among beaches in the evening they wo n't charge you vary throughout the year greens putt! Of which were excellent perfect for someone wanting to get away from the parking lot here, cannon,... First thing we learned when we got to Dauphin Island as well # 5 best Value of 7 to. These things into consideration provides kayak, standup paddleboard, and beaches Gulf. Various forms of art in the United States you have your own space... Really enjoyed our visit to Dauphin Island or the 7:15 PM trip Dauphin. Island beach is that the greens did putt fairly true even though they are very slow dolphins. Its a little bit more developed than it was perfect for someone to... Get a good idea of the area since it is pet-friendly have visited the AL Gulf coast numbers times! Her house but very to knock off the Delta Airlines commercials, seem to melt.. Features works from local artists nature museum and aquariums open to the public beach, you can spend your relaxing... Perfect for someone wanting to get on the list of America 's most endangered historical.. It is worth it of renting a fishing rod, reels, tackle, bait, and historical exhibits number... Hope you take these things into consideration the NATIONAL Audubon Society, the plays! Keep to yourselves really enjoyed our visit to Dauphin Island in June and learned only one dauphin island beach mobile alabama the... Island rentals available we learned when we got to Dauphin Island, there are oyster all! A good time, 022 this is the fourth largest freshwater flow in the United States free...