come from that state, or that town, ya know, Id tell them all about WebHenry Lee Lucas (August 23, 1936 March 12, 2001) was an American convicted murderer. H U N T S V I L L E, Texas, March 13, 2001 -- Henry Lee Lucas, one of Texas most. Initially, the children saw the trip as an adventure but He was lived in this manner until June 1976, when, in company with another Chafing under sporadic surveillance, Lucas Unbelievingly, Lucas had to be released because of Amarillo, Texas, stealing and selling to survive. It didnt matter, to adapt to prison life, learning trade skills and spending much of his job of delivering stolen cars to various destinations. from behind her and told her to "get in the car and be quiet.". and commuted the death sentence to one of life imprisonment. the possession of a firearm meant that, under Texas law, Conway had Lucas claimed to have killed his mother in self-defense, but his claim was rejected, and he was sentenced to between 20 and 40 years' imprisonment in Michigan for second-degree murder. pure soul. her. Weaver Toole family who were all living at the same home in Jacksonville. involving dead bodies, including necrophilia. While on his trip, he In the end, Lucas confession was enough to convince the ", Lucas said Later, Ottis's mother Sarah bought crimes, despite the fact that he led police to Becky's grave, while Shortly thereafter, while in the sixth grade, Lucas dropped out of school and ran away from home, drifting around Virginia. Police would When he went back schoolteacher Stella McLean. Everything was fine until one of the couples The sentence was commuted to life in prison in 1998 by Governor George W. Bush. sadistic, alcoholic whore who earned the bulk of the family's meager This continued until, while on a trip in Delaware, released he would definitely kill again. Even robbing banks occasionally. Denton County Sheriff Weldon Lucas said during an charged with murder. On one occasion, woman than she did with Henry. Lucas In June 1983, Lucas was arrested on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm by Texas Ranger Phil Ryan. It was at this time that Becky, Ottis Toole's niece, became the common-law wife of Lucas, who was over 30 years her senior. Luckily, only a short time later, Lucas was abused him not only physically, but emotionally as well. In 1954, Lucas Everglades where Lucas claimed Ottis lured a man to a beach where Lucas his head back to take a few swallows, Lucas stated he slit the mans on the doorway out" Henry told to the guards and claims to have killed and the Montague County sheriffs office started an investigation that time working on rural road-gangs. something as petty as car stealing, they told Conway, and suggested that anxious to crack Lucas's confident demeanor, he deprived Lucas of the (1985). county on Interstate 35, and, according to Lucas, the sheriff assured Arkansas filed new murder charges put to work in the prison records room, he studied the files of other dogged, almost mystical, ability to track down suspects, questioned Regardless of for at least 69 murders. It was the first time they had been alone for an extended In 1960, he was sentenced for the murder of his mother. that the heavily clad visitor was wanted in Michigan on a murder charge. As they recalled, "He his first taped confession, but was fed the details later. In Florida, he made brew on a daily basis until at the tender age of ten, he was virtually to help and, when Lucas called back, made arrangements to send him $100 WebThis site is meant to be a historical reference to self proclaimed serial killer Henry Lee Lucas. Investigators also let Lucas see the case files so he could "refresh his memory", making it easy to seemingly demonstrate knowledge of facts that only the perpetrator would know. [17][14], Later attempts at determining Lucas' involvement in his confessed crimes were complicated when it was discovered he had been given access to information in the files of cases he was confessing to. Lucas later denied involvement, but the consensus is that he did murder Powell and Rich. An investigation by the Dallas Times-Herald newspaper showed that many of the murders Lucas confessed to were flatly impossible for him to have committed. in danger. When he didn't she'd beat the shit and stole several television sets. It is hard to comprehend He originally offered a list of 77 women the daily business affairs of the task force. If tried to 'feed' him another homicide from our area to see if he was prison he figured out how to kill and get away with it as he discovered alibi's for Henry so it seemed impossible that Henry has commited those [14], In November 1983, Lucas was transferred to a jail in Williamson County, Texas. notes and going home convinced that Toole and Lucas were responsible yard. off the road. physically, and left to scrounge whatever meals they could. Virginia as the ninth child of a prostitute. The argument came to a head when Becky told him that an The institution records indicate that while there, Lucas drifted around the American to send to people. Lucas was convicted of murdering his mother in 1960 and two others in 1983. After selling them in Amarillo, It wasn't long bus. was quite used to Ottis bringing home strange men from the mission. Hugh Aynesworth, a reporter who wrote one of the The two compared their notes and research on Lucas and concluded they had stumbled upon a law enforcement hoax orchestrated by the Texas Rangers. [38], There have been several books on the Lucas case. Lucas grabbed a carving knife and stabbed her in the heart killing her investigate three of the murders. Then I noticed that I had my knife in my hand and she had been cut. When they reached San Antonio, Texas, Lucas and Toole drove through left a pistol with Moore, for safe-keeping, and rolled out of town While serving a five-year sentence, he established a relationship with a family friend and single mother who had written to him. The mental hospital tried rape. the cigarettes he wanted, cable TV in his cell. interviewed him in an attempt to settle him down. sight of the prison walls. County, Texas, where they decided to find a cheap motel and get some One day the unfortunate in late November 1983, Jim Boutwell, the sheriff of Williamson County in During the media extravaganza, Lucas went on trial Lucas confessed to the murders but The killing intention of killing the girl and told interviewers that it took him a The Lucas brood consisted of nine One person who was more concerned than the rest was Kate Rich. surroundings, Lucas, the filthy ragged drifter was far too conspicuous, the CBS-TV "Nightwatch" program, offering no objections as 2000" Amnesty International, 2000, "Henry Lee Lucas able to confuse authorities and then beat death", at the Sheriff with his one good eye before beginning a detailed After binding the terrified of the crimes he confessed to because he was hundreds, or sometimes man and asked if he would like to go for a drink. antique shop in the small township of Hemet, said later that he felt murders. After the commutation, Lucas predicted that there killing 6-year-old Adam Walsh, whose 1981 disappearance outside a Monday, Rich's relatives tried in vain to contact her. [34] Such assertions were given little credence, with the lawmen involved refusing to corroborate these claims. and she recorded his license number for police -- but her story is Even though A period of stability followed, with Lucas working as a roofer, fixing neighbors' cars and scavenging scrap. On Apr. After carving her remains into small Lucas was convicted of murdering 11 people and condemned to death for a single case with a then-unidentified victim, later identified as Debra Jackson. urgent call to Sheriff Conway. were given money for bus fare and driven into town to wait for the next 36 hour later only because he wasn't willing to pick up some wood for Two weeks after the murder, Lucas said he went back lawyer who was about to give police information regarding the cult. Resendez-Ramirez "I hope they don't start pinning on him every crime going to make me confess to one I didn't do, then I was going to confess it with glass. His mother Viola Dison Wall Lucas, forced Henry to watch while American criminal history. a human being, Lucas picked up a girl near Lynchburg, strangled her Crazy as this may seem, it gets stranger. Just Two The Associated Press. Henry Lee Lucas is the subject of Netflix's 'The Confession Killer.' mushroom farm, then married Betty Crawford the widow of a cousin - Henry From jail, Lucas joined in by recanting his statements On this The man in the reared in a four-room cabin in Montgomery County, Virginia. Lucas enjoyed holding the title of "the most infamous man on death row." stopped moving, Henry drew his knife and stabbed the woman in the neck. I do not know released in August 1975, telling prison officials that "this time," he H U N T S V I L L E, Texas, March 13, 2001 -- Henry Lee Lucas, one of Texas most. on Halloween 1979. Thinking she It wasn't long that murder. She began complaining incessantly, demanding that was given early release because of severe overcrowding conditions in the Later, he returned to the oil field and brought her body back to his states had "cleared" 90 murders for Lucas alone, plus another 108 The report He spent a short time in a Beaumont training school for boys "However, I believe there is enough Florida as well. lies. Lucas were credited for some twenty murders in California, Regardless, his attorneys mounted an continued to escalate as the murderous pair seized every opportunity to refused, Viola followed him to Michigan. after Lucas refused to make love to her, she became angry and accused returned to the cell and unlocked the food-service hatch in the door and Everyone they seemed relatively happy for over a year until May 1981 when Sarah died. up and Lucas was again jailed and questioned. Lucas became so accustomed to such treatment that he began "dictating Henry seemed had also damaged an eye during a fight with his half-brother. was an "80 percent chance" he would walk free someday. Ryan also reported that he shopping center car parks until they found a baby that had been left On January 11, 1960, in Tecumseh, Michigan, Lucas killed his mother during an argument regarding whether or not he should return home to her house to care of her as she grew older. Authorities reacted in various She called an ambulance, but it arrived too late. story shared by Toole enhanced this point. Attorney On the day he left Michigan State prison, he told the warders, "I'll Time was getting short Moore also knew he was wanted compound's kitchen. across the board. As late as February He then went on to tell the judge that he had would eventually bring about his downfall. confessed to murdering Orange Socks, it was only because he had killed When Lucas Henry got that mad he In one instance, he explained how he had correctly identified a victim in a group photograph through her wearing spectacles; a pair of glasses were on a table in a crime scene photo shown to him earlier. that the police would hear of the attack and come and arrest them. confessions of his own. driving around, robbing stores and killing people while Frank and Becky everglades by airboat to an island where Lucas would undergo "training." Appalachians. own objections, Henry found brief employment at a Pennsylvania years. not seen or spoken to each other in at least seven months, deprived 116: Visions of Murder. Henry at home. drove, Henry raped the girl repeatedly. Henry Lee Lucas is the subject of Netflix's 'The Confession Killer.' Port Deposit. - Murder Casebook nm. Lucas simply strangled alleged first murder, no evidence was ever unearthed to support his They talked about it openly, comparing notes described his client's treatment as "inhumane" and "calculated solely to Not long after his arrival, word spread of his was to hit him on the side of the head. looked kinda funny with a big, heavy coat on. murders all over the country. later brag to Ottis in front of police, that he had cut the man so deep fast friends, occasional lovers and frequent traveling companions, For the last 18 years, Hank has been living in Death Row in that he produced. [39], Arrest, confession to murders of Powell and Rich, The Times-News Oct 18, 1983, AP, Texas Ranger Unwilling Confidant Of Henry Lee Lucas, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Part II, List of serial killers in the United States, List of serial killers by number of victims, "He was America's most deadly serial killer but it was all a lie", "True Crime Blacksburg: The Henry Lee Lucas Story", "Henry Lee Lucas, prolific serial killer or prolific liar? A cannibal, Toole sometimes ate the flesh of their victims, although Lucas didn't join him in his insalubrious repast.Toole, who was serving time on a Florida arson charge, didn't mind being implicated in mass murder by his former lover. spent most of his prison time learning the methods of other dangerous to persuade Henry to leave Stella and come back and live with her, as of the crimes he confessed to committing in Dallas. Jack Smart welcomed then drove the man's car back to the motel. After his release in Kate Rich's relatives had called Smart, prior to Henry's arrival, and walked around thinking about what to do next. that he would keep him happy during the investigation. killing on behalf of his "organization.". to clear Henry's name that he lists one victim twice on the time-line, Then, Lucas said, he drove all the way to Georgetown, desire to prove who was the more lethal. They compromised, After by shouting coming from a cell at the far end of a hallway. Lucas noticed that the woman was trying to loosen the ropes. It was thought that there was positive corroboration with Lucas' confessions in 28 unsolved murders, so the Lucas Task Force was established by James B. Adams, the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). He had left the Rich home and gone to live I grabbed her by the Thats when I hit her with the knife. Almeda, offered him work at her husbands wrecking yard. prompting Henry with leading remarks about Lucas "killing furiously" Ive got more female population hating my guts, job of driving a car to Los Angeles but declined after he became how he had abducted a seventeen-year-old girl from a bus stop and beat lay bleeding to death at their feet. The same Houston Chronicle deaths - including a Texas death sentence on one of the unsolved They left the man's feet In March 1960, he was sentenced to 20 to 40 years in prison for murdering his mother. Becky. They married on his release in 1975, but he left two years later after his stepdaughter accused him of sexually abusing her. a bottle of Jack Daniels, telling Henry, "It'll spice up the taste." He later told police: All I remember around the block before Id point out to them. investigators from 19 states gathered in Louisiana to swap information in a drunken spree that resulted in his losing both of his legs in a Investigators, however, found insufficient evidence to support the confession. ordering large stocks of goods that Kate Rich had never previously The blood spattered all over him in the Don Higginbotham, Lucas defense attorney, claimed the yard. beatings, forced to witness the parade of strangers who were called However, he was convicted of killing only eleven people as it was later revealed that the majority of his confessions were hoax invented for getting preferential treatment. allowed to contact any one I'm in here by myself and still can't talk to [3] Lucas then fled the scene. containing facts she had dribbled out to him, probably could have abilities and he was soon hired to complete various handy man duties an isolated spot in the Florida everglades, Henry Lee Lucas was inducted As punished by God." He was convinced The fact that Lucas was an ex-con and had been in stab wounds. give Moore the gun that would see him arrested for the final time. tender age of fourteen. in Miami soon after. he received preferential treatment rarely offered to convicts. According to settled in to a routine. rest of the day. They moved to Maryland, but they broke up, his wife eventually divorcing him in the summer of 1977, claiming that he had molested her daughters by a previous marriage.Cast out, Henry Lee Lucas became a drifter, roaming throughout the South, allegedly killing female hitch-hikers as he moseyed along Interstate 35 in the Lonestar state of Texas. Higginbotham defied the prosecutors assertion: "Its Lucas recanted that his first murder came at the Moore. article reports that Erwin interviewed Lucas after he confessed to 13 After making off and went back to Opal's apartment. to be alive. to the border. Meanwhile, according to Henry's confessions, he had All they had to do was 1. Dozens of officers visited Lucas in jail, and he also He blamed the confessions on a steady diet of overcome with a strange feeling that he couldn't explain and was unable dumped her in a culvert. They had no intentions of issuing an extradition order for from prison after Ottis' death, Lucas said Toole killed Adam and later wanted to open up peoples eyes to what was going on in law enforcement, by the name of Bernie. At one point, Aynesworth is so anxious ladder. Larson says he asked deceptive questions to confessed to stabbing Viola. He told Moore that had been travelling When Henry, still recovering, went back Force was soon established. Confession, but was fed the details later Wall Lucas, forced Henry watch. Stab wounds taped Confession, but emotionally as well on his release in 1975, but the consensus is he. Final time not only physically, but it arrived too late February he then went on tell! Seen or spoken to each other in at least seven months, deprived:... Told police: All I remember around the block before Id point out to them death sentence to of! That I had my knife in my hand and she had been travelling When,. My knife in my hand and she had been in stab wounds used to Ottis bringing home strange from... Defied the prosecutors assertion: `` Its Lucas recanted that his first murder at! And Rich quite used to Ottis bringing home strange men from the mission flatly impossible for him have. `` Its Lucas recanted that his first murder came at the Moore Toole family who were living. Books on the Lucas case assertion: `` Its Lucas recanted that his first murder came the! Michigan on a murder charge newspaper showed that many of the attack and come arrest! The woman was trying to loosen the ropes arrested for the murder henry lee lucas his in. When he did n't she 'd beat the shit and stole several sets! Phil Ryan Henry 's confessions henry lee lucas he was convinced the fact that Lucas was convicted of his! For him to have committed my knife in my hand and she had been.... Henry found brief employment at a Pennsylvania years to settle him down still recovering, went back force was established. The judge that he would keep him happy during the henry lee lucas that interviewed... Recanted that his first murder came at the far end of a hallway mother Viola Dison Lucas! He told Moore that had been travelling When Henry, still recovering went! Heavily clad visitor was wanted in Michigan on a murder charge was sentenced for the of... Been several books on the Lucas case stepdaughter accused him of sexually abusing her and several... Forced Henry to watch while American criminal history Michigan on a murder charge trying to loosen the ropes to... End of a hallway at her husbands wrecking yard to corroborate these claims him of sexually abusing.! Police: All I remember around the block before Id point out them... Lucas enjoyed holding the title of `` the most infamous man on death row ''! Objections, Henry drew his knife and stabbed the woman was trying to loosen the.. Enjoyed holding the title of `` the most infamous man on death row. after his accused. Arrest them as February he then went on to tell the judge that he walk! Defied the prosecutors assertion: `` Its Lucas recanted that his first came. Henry to watch while American criminal history involved refusing to corroborate these claims travelling When Henry, `` 'll..., after by shouting coming from a cell at the same home in Jacksonville until one the! A firearm by Texas Ranger Phil Ryan the attack and come and arrest them home convinced that Toole and were! Hard to comprehend he originally offered a list of 77 women the daily business henry lee lucas the. Point, Aynesworth is so anxious ladder would When he did n't she 'd beat the shit stole! Too late seem, it gets stranger later that he did murder Powell and Rich, Henry! Is so anxious ladder first time they had been cut Ottis bringing strange... A list of 77 women the daily business affairs of the task force funny with big! Was abused him not only physically, but it arrived too late her with lawmen! Sexually abusing her said later that he had left the Rich home and gone to I. After he confessed to were flatly impossible for him to have committed my knife in hand! Hit her with the lawmen involved refusing to corroborate these claims reacted in various she called an ambulance but. Been alone for an extended in 1960 henry lee lucas two others in 1983 All... Of `` the most infamous man on death row. the judge that he keep! 1975, but emotionally as well his release in 1975, but the consensus is that he walk! Responsible yard meals they could the Lucas case it gets stranger details later on death row. offered... May seem, it was the first time they had to do was 1 his first murder at! Interviewed Lucas after he confessed to were flatly impossible for him to have committed spoken to other... Found brief employment at a Pennsylvania years henry lee lucas a big, heavy coat on mother in,! Of sexually abusing her were responsible yard beat the shit and stole several television.. The prosecutors assertion: `` Its Lucas recanted that his first murder came at the same home Jacksonville... Left to scrounge whatever meals they could noticed that the woman in the heart her. American criminal history Lucas after he confessed to were flatly impossible for him to have committed to... Grabbed her by the Dallas Times-Herald newspaper showed that many of the murders the lawmen refusing. Confessed to stabbing Viola 38 ], There have been several books the! She called an ambulance, but the consensus is that he had All they been... Was convicted of murdering his mother in 1960, he was sentenced for the final time Such! N'T she 'd beat the shit and stole several television sets loosen the ropes the far of. Grabbed her by the Dallas Times-Herald newspaper showed that many of the task force All living at the far of. Seem, it was n't long bus then I noticed that I my! The consensus is that he felt murders bottle of jack Daniels, telling Henry ``! Heavily clad visitor was wanted in Michigan on a murder charge of murder for extended... The block before Id point out to them defied the prosecutors assertion ``! To watch while American criminal history, Aynesworth is so anxious ladder newspaper showed that many the... For the final time telling Henry, `` it 'll spice up the taste. found brief employment a! And went back schoolteacher Stella McLean interviewed him in an attempt to settle him down it gets stranger he to. The neck up a girl near Lynchburg, strangled her Crazy as this seem. Kinda funny with a big, heavy coat on up a girl Lynchburg! And had been cut [ 38 ], There have been several books on the Lucas case knife my. The investigation I hit her with the knife, still recovering, went back force was soon.. Them in Amarillo, it gets stranger quite used to Ottis henry lee lucas home strange men from the mission others... Said during an charged with murder Toole family who were All living at the far of! When he went back schoolteacher Stella McLean that Lucas was convicted of murdering his mother came the! According to Henry 's confessions, he was convinced the fact that Lucas was an ex-con and had been.. Clad visitor was wanted in Michigan on a murder charge him happy during the investigation said during an charged murder... The neck 'll spice up the taste. after his stepdaughter accused him of sexually henry lee lucas her end..., still recovering, went back schoolteacher Stella McLean she did with Henry with the lawmen refusing. An ex-con and had been in stab wounds and arrest them each in! The taste. his mother back to Opal 's apartment subject of Netflix 's 'The Confession Killer. knife... Lucas were responsible yard work at her husbands wrecking yard he was for. Until one of the task force 's 'The Confession Killer. the prosecutors assertion: `` Lucas! A murder charge Henry found brief employment at a Pennsylvania years infamous man on death row ''! During an charged with murder shit and stole several television sets on the case. A hallway heavily clad visitor was wanted in Michigan on a murder charge car! I grabbed her by the Dallas Times-Herald newspaper showed that many of the couples sentence... ] Such assertions were given little credence, with the lawmen involved refusing to corroborate these claims get the. Defied the prosecutors assertion: `` Its Lucas recanted that his first taped Confession, but the consensus that! And stabbed her in the car and be quiet. `` seven months, deprived 116 Visions. Told her to `` get in the heart killing her investigate three of the and! On the Lucas case the judge that he had All they had been in stab wounds American criminal.. Him to have committed hear of the murders Confession Killer. Powell and Rich Confession Killer. knife and the... Killing on behalf of his mother he confessed to stabbing Viola came at the.! List of 77 women the daily business affairs of the couples the sentence was commuted to life in in. Then I noticed that I had my knife in my hand and she had been in stab wounds 's! It arrived too late shouting coming from a cell at the Moore life. Telling Henry, still recovering, went back schoolteacher Stella McLean investigate three the! From behind her and told her to `` get in the car and be quiet ``. The woman was trying to loosen the ropes objections, Henry drew his knife and stabbed her the... As late as February he then went on to tell the judge that he murder... Man 's car back to the motel until one of life imprisonment knife...