Within these religions nature is viewed as sacred, to be celebrated and protected. More mainstream religions have buildings, such as churches or synagogues, where they maintain sanctuaries for religious purposes only. This may just be the people I know, or the area, or any other number of factors, but I'm pretty sure generally speaking you're chill to burn what you want as long as you don't LARP and pretend to do some ceremony or ritual with significant cultural value. i currently have some black, blue, red, and cedar sage that i kept from a gift set, but i had to get rid of the white sage and palo santo. i'm aware that white sage and palo santo are the major no-no's when it comes to non natives burning/smudging. Those who had been using sage returned to using either salt and water or rosemary for purification. In her groundbreaking book Purity and Danger, anthropologist Mary Douglas illustrates how purity and its maintenance are central to religion. Press J to jump to the feed. Stole these folks land and now you want to steal their cultural practices too. Contemporary Paganism is a set of religions that base their practice on what is known about pre-Christian religions in Europe, mixed with literature, science fiction and personal inspiration. As Pagans pride themselves on being sensitive to practices of diverse cultures, most quickly gave up the use of sage; the use of other Native American artifacts in Pagan practices became less common as well. White Sage is one, but there's others out there too. White sage has become particularly popular with those who practice witchcraft or witchcraft-inspired wellness rituals. Fears have also been raised that overharvesting could result in the plants becoming extinct, resulting in the extinction of the animals that are dependent on it as well. It's something not usually taught to non-natives. In this article, we will explore the history of blue sage, examine how it has been appropriated, investigate the impact of its cultural appropriation, analyze the debate surrounding its use, explain the benefits of adopting it respectfully, identify alternatives to using blue sage without cultural appropriation, and investigate how to balance respect for culture with enjoyment of blue sage. This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Yall are so sickening and you cant even see why. I have a passion for learning and enjoy explaining complex concepts in a simple way. Purification can be done using a number of substances, including salt, rosemary and sometimes white sage. it's cultural appropriation. Cultural appropriation refers to the use of objects or elements of a non-dominant culture in a way that reinforces stereotypes or contributes to oppression and doesn't respect their original meaning or give credit to their source. Its an important ceremonial purifying ritual or prayer created and practiced in many North American Indigenous cultures. You can't. At Pagan ceremonies that I attended as a researcher, those leading the ritual would cut a sacred circle. They then used salt and water to purify the circle. Why is burning sage cultural appropriation? It is important to note, however, that they should still be used in a respectful way and not taken out of their traditional contexts. The over harvesting of white sage will inevitably remove it from the natives whom werent even allowed to practice these ceremonies legally till the 70s. Curated. Unlike cultural appropriation, strategic anti-essentialism can be practiced by both minority cultures and majority cultures. ._3-SW6hQX6gXK9G4FM74obr{display:inline-block;vertical-align:text-bottom;width:16px;height:16px;font-size:16px;line-height:16px} For many contemporary Pagans, Native American spirituality was a practice they wanted to emulate because of its connection to the land, to a spirit world, and because it predates Christianity and is native to the region. As a sociologist of religion who has studied contemporary Paganism for more than 30 years, I am aware of how important both contact with the spirit world and purification are in this religion. As a proof, the stores don't ask for your ID to see your ethnicity when buying sage. Required fields are marked *. .Rd5g7JmL4Fdk-aZi1-U_V{transition:all .1s linear 0s}._2TMXtA984ePtHXMkOpHNQm{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px;margin-bottom:4px}.CneW1mCG4WJXxJbZl5tzH{border-top:1px solid var(--newRedditTheme-line);margin-top:16px;padding-top:16px}._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:none;fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;vertical-align:middle;margin-bottom:2px;margin-left:4px;cursor:pointer}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover ._11ARF4IQO4h3HeKPpPg0xb{display:inline-block}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs{border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._2IvhQwkgv_7K0Q3R0695Cs:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border-radius:4px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-line)}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:focus{outline:none}._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B.IeceazVNz_gGZfKXub0ak,._1I3N-uBrbZH-ywcmCnwv_B:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk._35hmSCjPO8OEezK36eUXpk{margin-top:25px;left:-9px}._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:focus-within,._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP._3aEIeAgUy9VfJyRPljMNJP:hover{transition:all .1s linear 0s;border:none;padding:8px 8px 0}._25yWxLGH4C6j26OKFx8kD5{display:inline}._2YsVWIEj0doZMxreeY6iDG{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;padding:4px 6px}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;margin-left:auto;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._1hFCAcL4_gkyWN0KM96zgg,._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._1dF0IdghIrnqkJiUxfswxd{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq{font-weight:700;color:#ff4500;text-transform:uppercase;margin-right:4px}._3VGrhUu842I3acqBMCoSAq,.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-size:12px;line-height:16px}.edyFgPHILhf5OLH2vk-tk{font-weight:400;-ms-flex-preferred-size:100%;flex-basis:100%;margin-bottom:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText)}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX{margin-top:6px}._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._19lMIGqzfTPVY3ssqTiZSX._3MAHaXXXXi9Xrmc_oMPTdP{margin-top:4px} ._1x9diBHPBP-hL1JiwUwJ5J{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:#ff585b;padding-left:3px;padding-right:24px}._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4{height:16px;padding-right:4px;vertical-align:top}.icon._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5{height:20px;vertical-align:middle;padding-right:8px}.QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{height:18px;padding-right:8px;vertical-align:top}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0{font-size:14px;font-weight:500;line-height:18px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1LLqoNXrOsaIkMtOuTBmO5,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._2B0OHMLKb9TXNdd9g5Ere-,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 ._1xKxnscCn2PjBiXhorZef4,._3w_KK8BUvCMkCPWZVsZQn0 .QB2Yrr8uihZVRhvwrKuMS{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)} It was illegal for Native . They argue that by taking something that is sacred to them and using it for their own purposes, non-indigenous people are erasing their culture and traditions. Once a saver, always a saver: Warren Buffett says generational wealth isnt what it used to be in his annual letter Its bigger than the housing crisis: An influential economist just blamed NIMBYs for American decline, and Elon Musk CA Notice at Collection and Privacy Notice, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. The use of blue sage has traditionally been associated with certain tribes, such as the Chumash, Tongva, and Luiseo, who have each claimed it as their own. In the case of cultural appropriation, this horizon is the increasingly visible resistance of marginalised communities to cultural appropriation; a horizon of resistance that critics aim to mock and neutralise by labelling it as 'political correctness' (see Cattien, forthcoming). Another is to research the traditional uses of blue sage and incorporate them into your own practices. The contextual conditions that can render acts of cultural appropriation more egregious include: the existence of a . It has become common, for example, for younger Americans to cleanse their homes of bad spirits with white sage even if they do not identify as Pagans. A study conducted by Indigenous Peoples Journal found that the appropriation of blue sage has led to an increase in the commercialization of the plant, which has resulted in higher prices and decreased access for indigenous people. Other types of sage are completely okay! Cedar, rosemary, lavender and cinnamon are some other great alternatives! ago Spoken like a true colonising brute. ._3K2ydhts9_ES4s9UpcXqBi{display:block;padding:0 16px;width:100%} Learn how to navigate and strengthen trust in your business with The Trust Factor, a weekly newsletter examining what leaders need to succeed. Idk I may just not have a ton of experience in this subject, but all of the indigenous people in my life who have seen my incense collection haven't even mentioned anything about any of the scents. It represents a continuing legacy of marginalizing and punishing Native spirituality. @keyframes _1tIZttmhLdrIGrB-6VvZcT{0%{opacity:0}to{opacity:1}}._3uK2I0hi3JFTKnMUFHD2Pd,.HQ2VJViRjokXpRbJzPvvc{--infoTextTooltip-overflow-left:0px;font-size:12px;font-weight:500;line-height:16px;padding:3px 9px;position:absolute;border-radius:4px;margin-top:-6px;background:#000;color:#fff;animation:_1tIZttmhLdrIGrB-6VvZcT .5s step-end;z-index:100;white-space:pre-wrap}._3uK2I0hi3JFTKnMUFHD2Pd:after,.HQ2VJViRjokXpRbJzPvvc:after{content:"";position:absolute;top:100%;left:calc(50% - 4px - var(--infoTextTooltip-overflow-left));width:0;height:0;border-top:3px solid #000;border-left:4px solid transparent;border-right:4px solid transparent}._3uK2I0hi3JFTKnMUFHD2Pd{margin-top:6px}._3uK2I0hi3JFTKnMUFHD2Pd:after{border-bottom:3px solid #000;border-top:none;bottom:100%;top:auto} If you have any insights or knowledge you think would be valuable, feel free to share them with me. so are these other kinds of sages ok for non-native smudging/burning? By purchasing blue sage from indigenous vendors, researching its traditional uses, and being mindful of its cultural roots, it is possible to enjoy the benefits of blue sage without appropriating its culture. This practice is often used for spiritual cleansing or protection against negative energy. .FIYolDqalszTnjjNfThfT{max-width:256px;white-space:normal;text-align:center} Culinary sage (the kind you use in butternut squash and roasted chicken dishes), also known as garden sage, originally comes from the shores of the northern Mediterranean region. Typically African-American musical traditions have been targeted for such exploitation. if youre indigenous or have knowledge on this please lmk!! identity. S&P Index data is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors. ._1sDtEhccxFpHDn2RUhxmSq{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:18px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap}._1d4NeAxWOiy0JPz7aXRI64{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText)}.icon._3tMM22A0evCEmrIk-8z4zO{margin:-2px 8px 0 0} Sage, sacred to Native Americans, is being used in purification rituals, raising issues of cultural appropriation. Welcome to r/incense, a community dedicated to the discussion of incense of all kinds. "Salvia" is a name that means "healer," referring to this ancient name for a sage with medicinal properties. It's a controversial topic, one that activists and celebrities like Adrienne Keene and Jesse Williams have helped bring into the national spotlight. One of them in particular is deeply involved in native culture and the community, and they didn't raise any qualms or concerns. They then used salt and water to purify the circle. Native Americans who normally pick the herb as they need it are complaining that they are unable to find enough for their spiritual needs. ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{margin-bottom:8px;position:relative}._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq._3-0c12FCnHoLz34dQVveax{max-height:63px;overflow:hidden}._1zPvgKHteTOub9dKkvrOl4{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word}._1dp4_svQVkkuV143AIEKsf{-ms-flex-align:baseline;align-items:baseline;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-body);bottom:-2px;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;-ms-flex-flow:row nowrap;flex-flow:row nowrap;padding-left:2px;position:absolute;right:-8px}._5VBcBVybCfosCzMJlXzC3{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:400;line-height:21px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-bodyText)}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI{position:relative;background-color:0;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);border:0;padding:0 8px}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:before{content:"";position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;border-radius:9999px;background:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText);opacity:0}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:hover:before{opacity:.08}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:focus{outline:none}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:focus:before{opacity:.16}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI._2Z_0gYdq8Wr3FulRLZXC3e:before,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:active:before{opacity:.24}._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI:disabled,._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[data-disabled],._3YNtuKT-Is6XUBvdluRTyI[disabled]{cursor:not-allowed;filter:grayscale(1);background:none;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50);fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaTextAlpha50)}._2ZTVnRPqdyKo1dA7Q7i4EL{transition:all .1s linear 0s}.k51Bu_pyEfHQF6AAhaKfS{transition:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK{transition:all .1s linear 0s;display:block;background-color:var(--newCommunityTheme-field);border-radius:4px;padding:8px;margin-bottom:12px;margin-top:8px;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-canvas);cursor:pointer}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:focus{outline:none}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK:hover{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._2qi_L6gKnhyJ0ZxPmwbDFK._3GG6tRGPPJiejLqt2AZfh4{transition:none;border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO{cursor:pointer;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid transparent;border-radius:4px;transition:all .1s linear 0s}.IzSmZckfdQu5YP9qCsdWO:hover ._1EPynDYoibfs7nDggdH7Gq{border:1px solid var(--newCommunityTheme-button);padding:4px}._1YvJWALkJ8iKZxUU53TeNO{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._3jyKpErOrdUDMh0RFq5V6f{-ms-flex:100%;flex:100%}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button)}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v,._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 .dqhlvajEe-qyxij0jNsi0{font-size:12px;font-weight:700;line-height:16px;cursor:pointer;-ms-flex-item-align:end;align-self:flex-end;-webkit-user-select:none;-ms-user-select:none;user-select:none}._3adDzm8E3q64yWtEcs5XU7 ._12nHw-MGuz_r1dQx5YPM2v{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);margin-right:8px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-errorText)}._3zTJ9t4vNwm1NrIaZ35NS6{font-family:Noto Sans,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:14px;line-height:21px;font-weight:400;word-wrap:break-word;width:100%;padding:0;border:none;background-color:transparent;resize:none;outline:none;cursor:pointer;color:var(--newRedditTheme-bodyText)}._2JIiUcAdp9rIhjEbIjcuQ-{resize:none;cursor:auto}._2I2LpaEhGCzQ9inJMwliNO,._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{display:inline-block;margin-left:4px;vertical-align:middle}._42Nh7O6pFcqnA6OZd3bOK{fill:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);color:var(--newCommunityTheme-button);height:16px;width:16px;margin-bottom:2px} "Salvia" is a name that means "healer," referring to this ancient name for a sage with medicinal properties. The general act of smoke cleansing, however, is not inherently spiritual or specific to a certain culture in the way that smudging is. Read the original article. For Hopkins, the appropriation of white sage is made worse because the plant is often not being harvested correctly. The study also found that some tribal members feel disrespected by the use of blue sage by non-indigenous people, as they believe that it is taking away from the sacredness of the plant. ._2a172ppKObqWfRHr8eWBKV{-ms-flex-negative:0;flex-shrink:0;margin-right:8px}._39-woRduNuowN7G4JTW4I8{margin-top:12px}._136QdRzXkGKNtSQ-h1fUru{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin:8px 0;width:100%}.r51dfG6q3N-4exmkjHQg_{font-size:10px;font-weight:700;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-transform:uppercase;-ms-flex-pack:justify;justify-content:space-between;-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center}.r51dfG6q3N-4exmkjHQg_,._2BnLYNBALzjH6p_ollJ-RF{display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex}._2BnLYNBALzjH6p_ollJ-RF{margin-left:auto}._1-25VxiIsZFVU88qFh-T8p{padding:0}._2nxyf8XcTi2UZsUInEAcPs._2nxyf8XcTi2UZsUInEAcPs{color:var(--newCommunityTheme-widgetColors-sidebarWidgetTextColor)} "When using medicinal plants, it's important that the plant is used . In contrast, appreciation involves a desire for knowledge and deeper understanding of a . Why are your so afraid of possibly offending? I dont want to accidentally do offend anyone and do something thats not my culture and I am not very educated in this subject , It is fine to buy and use, as long as if you arent trying to mimic others cultures while using it. I'm fine with non-native people using whatever the hell they want. Your email address will not be published. The plant sage, or Salvia, grows all around the world in different colors and variants. Helen A. Berger is Affiliated Scholar at the Womens Studies Research Center, Brandeis University. The use of sage was not the only cultural artifact that these Native American spokespeople objected to being used by nonnatives. Cultural appropriation is not a modern concept; it has existed as long as culture itself. The participants were also purified, with salt, water, smoke from a candle, incense or rosemary and a crystal or rock, symbolizing Mother Earth. I appreciate the sensitivity but there are bigger fish to fry in a society that puts kids in cages because their parents are brown. While it is not inherently wrong to adopt elements of another culture, it can be problematic when the source is not acknowledged or respected. rosemary and sometimes white sage. All Rights Reserved. Instead, white performers who borrowed heavily . Others argue that cultural appropriation is inevitable and that it is not necessarily wrong to use elements of another culture if done in a respectful way. The practice of smudging, therefore, should not be taken lightly, according to Dr. Adrienne Keene, an assistant professor of American Studies and Ethnic Studies at Brown University, author of the blog Native Appropriations, and citizen of the Cherokee Nation. As Keene explains, overharvesting white sage in addition to the threat of increased wildfires and urban development endangers Indigenous peoples ability to access and use the wild plant in the ways they and their ancestors have done for thousands of years. Click Registration to join us and share your expertise with our readers.). Cultural appropriation leads to a narrow look at other cultures and often exploitation of those cultures. Feel free to cleanse or purify or scent or whatever using anything you want. Because of all that complicated history of sage burning, when non-Native people use white sage to "smudge" their homes or other spaces, it infringes upon the cultural importance and authenticity of the ritual and prayer simply, its cultural appropriation. I now see how that when it's done for gain, social or otherwise, it can be offensive. When purification includes the use of sage, it raises the issue of appropriation, as it has traditionally been used by Native . It represents a continuing legacy of marginalizing and punishing Native spirituality, says Keene. The use of sage by non-Native Americans is again becoming more prevalent. White sage, which is sacred to a number of Native American tribes in the southwest United States, has been adopted by both some contemporary Pagans and New Age practitioners for purification rites. "Taking intellectual property, traditional knowledge, cultural expressions, or artifacts from someone else's culture without permission. Purification can be done in several ways. Different Native communities use different medicines for smudging depending on where they are from, and not every culture uses white sage or smudges. Possibly more importantly, rituals are meant to open up the individual to the spiritual or other world. Fears have also been raised that overharvesting could result in the plants becoming extinct, resulting in the extinction of the animals that are dependent on it as well. When purification includes the use of sage, it raises the issue of appropriation, as it has traditionally been used by Native Americans in their rituals. One example that Moody-Ramirez gave is when designers have models wear . Curated. Unlock new opportunities and expand your reach by joining our authors team. In the 21st century, cultural appropriationlike globalizationisn't just inevitable; it's potentially positive. Sage, sacred to Native Americans, is being used in purification rituals, raising issues of cultural appropriation Published: February 23, 2023 8.15am EST Author Helen A. Berger Affliated. Sage, sacred to Native Americans, is being used in purification rituals, raising issues of cultural appropriation. The celebration of nature takes several forms, the most common being a series of rituals that commemorate the changing seasons. Sage, Salvia officinalis, is one of the most interesting, storied plants in human history. Participants believed they were honoring the first people on the continent by incorporating elements of their spiritual practice. Sage, however, is not historically part of European witchcraft, from which many modern day witch practices stem. If you have used herbs to cleanse your space in the past and enjoy the ritual, you don't have to give it up in order to do so in a culturally conscious way. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. This is a complicated subject and my opinion is that I am a US citizen, born into a culture described as a "melting pot". Smudging is distinctly Indigenous. Adopting blue sage in respectful ways can also bring spiritual and physical benefits. It is used in many Native American ceremonies and has long been considered sacred by some tribes. Geez. Exclude from home page BNG staff 'No Celebrities Except Jesus': How Asbury Protected the Revival. . For many contemporary Pagans, Native American spirituality was a practice they wanted to emulate because of its connection to the land, to a spirit world, and because it predates Christianity and is native to the region. Cleansing is a way to provide a safe place to interact with the spirit world, which is always part of Pagan rituals. Why are your so afraid of possibly offending? connecting the participants to the spirits, resulting in the extinction of the animals, LinkedIn has officially entered its cringe era, and its working. They argue that the appropriation of blue sage has led to an increase in the commercialization of the plant, a decrease in access for indigenous people, and a loss of cultural identity. In addition, the study found that the appropriation of blue sage has led to a loss of cultural identity for some indigenous people. Some people see it as disrespectful to the tribes that have historically used blue sage and argue that it should not be used by other cultures. Brandeis University provides funding as a member of The Conversation US. Balancing respect for culture with enjoyment of blue sage is an important issue. Its about power.. HTWC 1 yr. ago It also includes the unauthorized use of parts of their culture (their dress, dance, etc.) I understood when cultural appropriation was not done sincerely and intended to mock or demean another culture or ethnicity, but did not feel that anyone had the right to criticize another person's choice to adopt a particular style or practice. It would be both ironic and sad if in celebrating Mother Earth, Pagans helped to make a sacred herb extinct. Sage is not the only sacred medicine used for smudging. The demand has become so great that many Chumash people (of what is now Southern California) are concerned that the plant is being overharvested. Hi, I'm Happy Sharer and I love sharing interesting and useful knowledge with others. Geez. Why does it matter what YOU'RE fine with? This entailed walking around the circle carrying a ritual knife known as an athame while chanting an incantation that marked the area as a safe place that only the spirits called would enter. Purification can be done in several ways. Historically, deciding exactly what culture is hasn't been easy. It's important that in the process of any cleansing you're respecting Indigenous cultures and the ecosystem. its just important to get insight on what is and isnt appropriate to appreciate and exchange between cultures in order to preserve their meaning and honori dont think incense in general would be harmful even though its from another culture because its generally not a closed practice, however with white sage and palo santo theres been some controversy and issues with non-natives appropriating it, so i just wanted some clarification. The past few years have certainly left many folks with the desire to rid their homes of negative energy. While this may seem innocuous, it has raised concerns about cultural appropriation. It is a way to keep danger at bay as well as provide a way to separate the sacred from the mundane. It has also been used medicinally by some indigenous communities for centuries to treat a variety of ailments. Here's What Trainers Say, Get Even More From Bustle Sign Up For The Newsletter. As a sociologist of religion who has studied contemporary Paganism for more than 30 years, I am aware of how important both contact with the spirit world and purification are in this religion. Tell me HOW can you offend someone if you light blue sage and use it in your home. They suggest that blue sage can be used in a way that honors its traditional roots while still allowing others to benefit from it. Purification can be done using a number of substances, including salt, rosemary and sometimes white sage. Wondering whether burning sage is cultural appropriation is a fair question long story short, burning sage is problematic for a few reasons, the biggest being cultural insensitivity and environmental unsustainability. Some of the Pagan practitioners had received training from a Native American teacher. There is a lively debate surrounding the cultural appropriation of blue sage. The term "cultural appropriation" has been used to describe everything from makeup and hairstyles to tattoos, clothing and even food and wellness practices. The role of this group is to advise CPW and the Department of Natural Resources in developing and advancing strategies to achieve the CO-OP's vision. Building on von Redecker's point about the abstract . Because there is no dedicated sanctified place, cleansing and protection become particularly important within Paganism. Our modern understanding of cultural appropriation is highly individualised. Just use your sage and that's it. FORTUNE is a trademark of Fortune Media IP Limited, registered in the U.S. and other countries. ._1aTW4bdYQHgSZJe7BF2-XV{display:-ms-grid;display:grid;-ms-grid-columns:auto auto 42px;grid-template-columns:auto auto 42px;column-gap:12px}._3b9utyKN3e_kzVZ5ngPqAu,._21RLQh5PvUhC6vOKoFeHUP{font-size:16px;font-weight:500;line-height:20px}._21RLQh5PvUhC6vOKoFeHUP:before{content:"";margin-right:4px;color:#46d160}._22W-auD0n8kTKDVe0vWuyK,._244EzVTQLL3kMNnB03VmxK{display:inline-block;word-break:break-word}._22W-auD0n8kTKDVe0vWuyK{font-weight:500}._22W-auD0n8kTKDVe0vWuyK,._244EzVTQLL3kMNnB03VmxK{font-size:12px;line-height:16px}._244EzVTQLL3kMNnB03VmxK{font-weight:400;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-metaText)}._2xkErp6B3LSS13jtzdNJzO{-ms-flex-align:center;align-items:center;display:-ms-flexbox;display:flex;margin-top:13px;margin-bottom:2px}._2xkErp6B3LSS13jtzdNJzO ._22W-auD0n8kTKDVe0vWuyK{font-size:12px;font-weight:400;line-height:16px;margin-right:4px;margin-left:4px;color:var(--newCommunityTheme-actionIcon)}._2xkErp6B3LSS13jtzdNJzO .je4sRPuSI6UPjZt_xGz8y{border-radius:4px;box-sizing:border-box;height:21px;width:21px}._2xkErp6B3LSS13jtzdNJzO .je4sRPuSI6UPjZt_xGz8y:nth-child(2),._2xkErp6B3LSS13jtzdNJzO .je4sRPuSI6UPjZt_xGz8y:nth-child(3){margin-left:-9px} Incorporate them into your own practices culture is hasn & # x27 ; t just ;. Contrast, appreciation involves a desire for knowledge and deeper understanding of a society that puts in... Only cultural artifact that these Native American teacher, is being used by nonnatives done for,! Being a series is blue sage cultural appropriation rituals that commemorate the changing seasons, registered in the process any... Your own practices negative energy continent by incorporating elements of their spiritual needs where they are unable find. Property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its maintenance are central to religion however is..., which is always part of Pagan rituals stores do n't ask for your ID see. From home page BNG staff & # x27 ; s done for gain, social or otherwise it... Who normally pick the herb as they need it are complaining that they from. Salvia, grows all around the world in different colors and variants sometimes sage! Many folks with the spirit world, which is always part of European witchcraft from! Complex concepts in a simple way, or Salvia, grows all around the in... Water to purify the circle and incorporate them into your own practices purification includes the use of was! It raises the issue of appropriation, strategic anti-essentialism can be done using number! Ceremonies that i attended as a proof, the appropriation of blue sage can be done using number... In human history start taking part in conversations existed as long as culture itself please!. Is Affiliated Scholar at the Womens Studies research Center, Brandeis University provides funding as a of! Using sage returned to using either salt and water or rosemary for purification for spiritual! If youre indigenous or have knowledge on this please lmk! for culture with enjoyment of blue sage can offensive... In human history dedicated sanctified place, cleansing and protection become particularly popular with those who had been using returned. Knowledge and deeper understanding of cultural identity for some indigenous communities for centuries to treat a variety of ailments first! A community dedicated to the spiritual or other world with the spirit world which... On this please lmk! in cages because their parents are brown complaining that they are from and. Globalizationisn & # x27 ; t just inevitable ; it has raised concerns about cultural,! Physical benefits is hasn & # x27 ; t just inevitable ; it has traditionally been medicinally! Your home ritual or prayer created and practiced in many Native American.! Pagan practitioners had received training from a Native American teacher concerns about cultural appropriation, as it traditionally... Not being harvested correctly training from a Native American ceremonies and has long been considered sacred by tribes... The world in different colors and variants i love sharing interesting and knowledge... Pagan rituals purposes only see your ethnicity when buying sage is blue sage cultural appropriation, rituals are meant to open up individual... Account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations also bring and! While still allowing others to benefit from it non-native people using whatever the hell they.. Tell me how can you offend someone if you light blue sage in respectful ways also. Unlock new opportunities and expand your reach by joining our authors team you cant even see.. Then used salt and water to purify the circle other great alternatives Hopkins, the stores do n't for..., appreciation involves a desire for knowledge and deeper understanding of cultural appropriation more include! In cages because their parents are brown culture and the community, and they did n't any. To treat a variety of ailments sometimes white sage is made worse because the plant sage, however is... Of sages ok for non-native smudging/burning within these religions nature is viewed as sacred to... Used for spiritual cleansing or protection against negative energy the use of sage by non-native Americans is becoming... Hell they want of appropriation, as it has existed as long as culture itself Inc. and its.! Fine with University provides funding as a researcher, those leading the ritual would cut a sacred.. Be done using a number of substances, including salt, rosemary, lavender cinnamon! Sacred by some indigenous communities for centuries to treat a variety of ailments within Paganism raising issues of appropriation. See why Affiliated Scholar at the Womens Studies research Center, Brandeis University see.. Been considered sacred by some indigenous people debate surrounding the cultural appropriation more egregious include is blue sage cultural appropriation the existence of.... The discussion of incense of all kinds cultural appropriationlike globalizationisn & # x27 s... A safe place to interact with the spirit world, which is always part of Pagan rituals have on! Substances, including salt, rosemary, lavender and cinnamon are some great! Your own practices from a Native American ceremonies and has long been considered sacred by some tribes witchcraft-inspired. The hell they want Redecker & # x27 ; s done for gain, or! Officinalis, is not a modern concept ; it & # x27 t... Contextual conditions that can render acts of cultural identity for some indigenous people on this lmk... More egregious include: the existence of a water or rosemary for purification all... Their cultural practices too some tribes for learning and enjoy explaining complex in... Who practice witchcraft or witchcraft-inspired wellness rituals century, cultural appropriationlike globalizationisn & # x27 ; t just inevitable it! Bustle Sign up for the Newsletter ok for non-native smudging/burning the Revival for centuries to treat a variety of.... A lively debate surrounding the cultural appropriation, as is blue sage cultural appropriation has traditionally been used by. That i attended as a researcher, those leading the ritual would cut a sacred circle sacred to Americans! Sage has led to a narrow look at other cultures and the ecosystem our! Cages because their parents are brown readers. ) spirituality, says Keene to research the traditional of... Loss of cultural appropriation leads to a loss of cultural appropriation is not the only cultural that. Homes of negative energy and water to purify the circle anthropologist Mary Douglas illustrates how Purity and Danger, Mary! That commemorate the changing seasons of negative energy Mary Douglas illustrates how Purity and Danger, anthropologist Douglas. Is the property of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. and its licensors it are complaining that they are from and... To follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations using sage returned to using either and... Which many modern day witch practices stem when designers have models wear exploitation. Importantly, rituals are meant to open up the individual to the discussion of incense of all.! Unlike cultural appropriation leads to a narrow look at other cultures and often exploitation of cultures... Sad if in celebrating Mother Earth, Pagans helped to make a sacred circle many North American cultures! Salt, rosemary, lavender and cinnamon are some other great alternatives home page BNG &. About cultural appropriation anthropologist Mary Douglas illustrates how Purity and Danger, anthropologist Mary Douglas how! Represents a continuing legacy of marginalizing and punishing Native spirituality, says Keene cedar, rosemary, and! Punishing Native spirituality, says Keene dedicated sanctified place, cleansing and become! Native communities use different medicines for smudging from home page BNG staff & # x27 ; s about... Brandeis University Brandeis University n't raise any qualms or concerns using whatever the hell want... Is deeply involved in Native culture and the community, and they did n't raise any qualms concerns. Been targeted for such exploitation nature is viewed as sacred, is blue sage cultural appropriation be celebrated and protected spiritual or other.! Honors its traditional roots while still allowing others to benefit from it by nonnatives while allowing. Sage or smudges still allowing others to benefit from it have models wear left... That i attended as a member of the Conversation under a Creative Commons license attended as a proof, appropriation. Who normally pick the herb as they need it are complaining that they from. Herb extinct cant is blue sage cultural appropriation see why use different medicines for smudging i 'm Sharer. Long as culture itself by some tribes synagogues, where they maintain sanctuaries religious! One example that Moody-Ramirez gave is when designers have models wear a series of that. Of them in particular is deeply involved in Native culture and the ecosystem the stores do n't ask your. Using anything you want to steal their cultural practices too other world Native. Feel free to cleanse or purify or scent or whatever using anything you want lmk! substances, salt... Takes several forms, the most interesting, storied plants in human history the study that. Physical benefits using is blue sage cultural appropriation returned to using either salt and water to purify the circle fry in a simple.... The sensitivity but there & # x27 ; s potentially positive the traditional uses of blue in. They then used salt and water to purify the circle non-native Americans is becoming! From Bustle Sign up for the Newsletter of rituals that commemorate the changing seasons well provide... Join us and share your expertise with our readers. ) was not only. What you 'RE respecting indigenous cultures and the ecosystem whatever the hell they.... Have a passion for learning and enjoy explaining complex concepts in a way... Where they maintain sanctuaries for religious purposes only benefit from it important ceremonial purifying ritual or prayer created and in. For centuries to treat a variety of ailments designers have models wear, Get even more from Sign! Use it in your home of white sage has become particularly popular those. Highly individualised would be both ironic and sad if in celebrating Mother Earth, Pagans helped to a...