There won't be a minute's silence before the FA Cup Final either. I think a lot of people like the fact that our starting 11 has 50-60% British players. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. A little tip for future: If youre going to argue something, get some quotes to back your points up. For Heysel to return to the popular consciousness, and receive its own nationwide day of remembrance, observed by the entire English football family. Everton: 41 The most compelling reason is because of the way they rioted at Heysel Stadium in 1985, causing English clubs to be banned from Europe for some years. Agree totally Bob, I did think the running a kid over thing was a bit unnecessary. Much kudos to you fair and balanced I wish more Liverpool fans would read it and not use the clubs sanitized version, believe the seeds for this disaster were sown the previous year. On 29 May 1985, during the first European Cup Final match between Italy and England at the Belgian Heysel Stadium, an unforgettable disaster occurred. Personalmente quella coppa la considero solo una amara statistica, e penso che nessuno sano di mente la possa associare ad una vittoria delluna o ad una sconfitta dellaltra squadra. These Liverpool fans got English football banned from Europe for 6 years after their behaviour caused the death of 39 Juventus fans at Heysel. There was nowhere to leave flowers, memories or prayers. It was only when the chief of police from Brussels came in and told us there had been fatalities that it started to sink in. Each of the main newspapers publishes an interview with someone who survived, along with an op-ed about the quest for justice. Do not believe the myths put out by the biased press. It seems difficult for the modern day football fan to understand, but hooliganism in those days was sadly normal. Steven Gerrard was caught on CCTV assaulting a man in a bar, Lets stop the Gerrard love in shall we? It has come from the likes of Jamie Carragher, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp. 2005 I was in Istanbul there was no such incidents at all it was amazing. Pingback: David Moyes and the implications for Arsenal | She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. Yeah, papers like the S&n really painted Liverpool fans with a good brush. Heysel is an unspeakably awkward subject for Liverpool perhaps more, perhaps less, for the anguish the club and the city endured four years later at Hillsborough. Argentinos Junior were beaten on penalties and Juve were the world champions.. They are not the neutrals favorite, after the suarez incidents and how the club shamelessly handled those debacles, neutral fans who may have liked liverpool stopped pretty damn quickly when the rotting nature of the club and fans was laid bare for all to see. It wasn't their fault that those fans died, it was the fault of the stadium. wow, one of the most bs article i ever read. I think there is still a lot to be said for what happened at Heysel, horrible and shocking but in my opinion Juve fans started the trouble, bricks, stones knifings all before the match. Justice for Heysel? Then we just walked out on to the pitch and wiped everything else from our minds. Gunners I respect how youve gone against this deluded blog post. Arsenal set for first 3pm away this season - and TV fans are hating it! Michael Shields, yes a disgrace Graham Sankey was the real offender and one of the most hated men in Liverpool, his despicable actions cannot tarnish the name of all Liverpool fans. Liverpool are a great club, but their fans have always been a disgrace, we see it time and time again, they have no respect for any other club or its supporters and as we have all just seen after their first Premier league win in 30 years, nothing changes in the violence and destruction which was apparent in and around the City centre. over-generalization a whole group of people, just because of the indiscretions of some mindless idiots(who are very much in the minority btw) and use it as an excuse to hate those people and wishing death upon them. Chelsea: 410m For a week or so afterwards, we were all in a complete daze. Presumably even less so in Turin. I originally felt dismayed at Evertons forced European withdrawal and eventual decimation juxtaposed with Liverpools fortune. Let us state a few of the facts about whether justice was done. 14 Liverpool fans got jailed for a whopping 18.months and just one month before the . As was stated in this article Heysel was waiting to happen, its a pity the authorities did not learn from what happened in Rome and other previous games to put a strategy in place to prevent the inevitable. This is no excuse for what happened that night but it does explain why a clubs fans with 21 years of spotless fans behaviour suddenly changed that night. On one infamous occasion at Goodison Park in 2008, the away fans responded by singing 2-0 to the Murderers. Although I was still groggy from the op, it didnt take long for me to work out he was there for my own protection from angry Italians. Liverpool or my club Everton did not get a mention by the press/television when it came to the antics of numerous hooligan firms. all i can say is i hope you guys do not represent the majority of arsenal fans. This is all entirely justified. Those bereaved and outraged by Hillsborough have fought to keep their campaign for justice alive and been entirely vindicated for doing so. I was taken there and operated on while still in my kit red shirt, shorts, socks, the boots, the whole shebang. Cry some more. I was off school sick, but my best friend was allowed to come over and watch the game with me. It was very, very strange. Obviously not uncommon at footy games but considering the occasion shocking. The fact that the victims' families had to wait 23 years for justice was abhorrent, proof that the British establishment viewed Liverpudlians in a cruelly pejorative fashion, best summed up in Boris Johnson's 2004 article which claimed Liverpool was a self-pity city, hooked on grief and welfare. There were two articles about the tragedy on page three, but they were both of the Lets put this behind us, improve the matchday Anfield atmosphere and look to restore the clubs good name variety. But both Liverpool and Chelsea worked hard to attract the backing in the first place. Hai ragione a dire che quella tragica serata erano tutti da biasimare. Their are bad people in every city and all we can do is apologise. There was no hint of an apology. Sad to see your result today against the rent boys (even if I personally find a City title win more soluble! His friend said bloody hell, theres been a bomb, which highlights the scale of the tragedy that was unfolding. I was given some very funny looks as I paid my respects in silent prayer, very different from the other supporters, most of whom were too young to really appreciate what I might have been doing there. With no European football, and being knocked out of the cups early, he has been able to keep his squad fit, and at peak condition. The internet is inundated with blogs and forum posts from fans of all clubs, showing solidarity with Liverpool and decrying the gross negligence of South Yorkshire police. Something fishy about your story. While one tragedy receives a national outpouring of sympathy every year, the other seems to have been swept under the rug. Yet surely, after 30 years, it's time for English football to face up to this shame. The reality is, neutrals do no want Liverpool to win the league. It was surreal. When I asked at the stadium tour office and at the Juve museum where the memorial was nobody knew. what would you have done? The experience is very different. Over time, there was a recognition that more much more needed to be done. Dopo quellassurdo evento le istituzioni inglesi hanno messo le cose a posto negli stadi, mentre da noi in Italia What parallel universe have I slipped into? (LogOut/ 33 subscribers This film tells the story of three footballing disasters and shows how they shaped the (already fierce) rivalry between Manchester Utd and Liverpool FC: Munich Disaster - 1958 (21. 0 items. All you have done by writing this article (and this comes from an Arsenal fan) is by making Arsenal fans looking like they lack class. I was in section Z. Both are great clubs. Incredible insensitivity from the club (and the parades organisers). 29th May. A service was held in Liverpool the following week and I can honestly say I dont remember anything from it. Hansen, Rush, NIcol, Whelan, Beglin to name a few cost minimal fees yet won numerous trophies. Monday morning comes early and this is a NEW Open thread for you to detail the bias. There are dozens of points that are usually offered to explain the context, not least over ticketing, segregation and a crumbling stadium, but the context does not begin to excuse what happened. In the reports of the game there dis no mention of the disaster, just that penalty! All Rights Reserved. This is ridiculous. liverpool heysel hypocrisy. I certainly havent experienced any at your place, and have attended all of our games there over past 8 seasons. Most, it seemed, turned their backs in disgust. Every club throughout the Premier League will have their own stories of too many Liverpool fans turning up, fake tickets, and the lack of concern many Scousers have for their own fans safety. Liverpool transfer news LIVE - Takeover latest, Liberty Media 'considered', Firmino 'offered', Liverpool transfer news, rumours, gossip and speculation including updates on Jude Bellingham, Luis Diaz, Josko Gvardiol, Roberto Firmino, Thiago Alcantara, 'I'm convinced' - Sadio Mane makes Jurgen Klopp prediction and names two reasons for Liverpool slump, Sadio Mane spent six years at Anfield before signing for Bayern Munich last summer, Full Liverpool squad available for Wolves as Darwin Nunez returns but four players ruled out, Full Liverpool available to face Wolves in the Premier League including injury latest on Darwin Nunez, Ibrahima Konate, Luis Diaz, Thiago Alcantara and Calvin Ramsay, What Cristiano Ronaldo told Sadio Mane after agreeing Liverpool exit, Sadio Mane has revealed he received a message off former Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo after his Liverpool exit, Liverpool in 'pole position' to secure 44m midfield transfer, Latest Liverpool transfer news as the Reds are linked with a move for Atalanta midfielder Teun Koopmeiners, Boston Celtics owner Stephen Pagliuca addresses Liverpool investment question, US billionaire and Atalanta owner Pagliuca was speaking at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit, Liverpool vs Wolves live stream details and worldwide TV info, Details on how Reds fans across the world can watch or follow Liverpool vs Wolves live, Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher to host landmark Women's Football Awards as Everton star gives backing, Jamie Carragher will co-host the Women's Football Awards later this year alongside former England international Eni Aluko, Jurgen Klopp is getting better at making unwanted Liverpool decisions, Jurgen Klopp is among the top managers for a type of substitution but it is not a positive, 'God willing' - Amadou Onana breaks silence on Everton future following Chelsea links, Amadou Onana has been one of the only bright sparks of a torrid season at Goodison Park, Full list of DWP cost of living payments available in March 2023, Here is everything you need to know about some of the financial help you could get in March, Snow to fall on Liverpool as Met Office reveals dates of cold snap, Up to 13 centimetres of snow is predicted to fall in parts of England, Tesco shoppers adore 'super flattering' F&F Clothing cream dress worn by Frankie Bridge on Instagram, One shopper said: Its such a gorgeous dress, Man is sick in dock as his wife is jailed for biting pub barmaid's ear off, Landlady was left permanently disfigured after mum's sickening assault during brawl, A man was taken to hospital with head injuries after fight broke out, Emmerdale's Dominic Brunt stepped away from soap after harrowing storyline, Paddy is set to take his own life in an upcoming storyline, Our Liverpool: relief as man's fantastic legacy saved in eleventh hour, Welcome to Our Liverpool - the ECHO's twice-daily briefing on our most important stories, X Factor's Olly Murs insists he isn't coming for This Morning job as he steps in as host, Viewers issued a demand as the Starstruck host was interviewed on today's show, Fitness guru 'Charlie Big Potatoes' admits sharing terrorist documents, Kristofer Thomas Kearney - known online as Charlie Big Potatoes - was extradited from Alicante to face charges last year, Jermaine Scott, 39, was extradited to the UK in November over an incident in 2009, 400,000 haul seized after Vauxhall spotted, Two men were arrested after a stop check on a car being driven erratically, Everton transfer news LIVE - Renan Lodi wanted, Beto interest, Arsenal build-up, Everton transfer news, rumours, gossip and speculation including updates on Renan Lodi, Beto and build-up to tonight's Premier League clash with Arsenal, Stranded dolphins rescued from 'hidden' Liverpool beach, The mother and calf were spotted by a birdwatcher, Role created as Pause for Hope seeks 'new openings' to help people across the UK, Development manager position will help continue the initiative's success across the country, Warning issued as van driver caught dumping trailer full of waste, The council wants help to identify the culprit, Jealous stalker spat in ex-girlfriend's face and told her to kill herself, He also followed her when she was out with friends and spat in her face, Mum rushed to hospital after sleeping for four days straight, Joanna Cox also found herself asleep in a nightclub and even behind the wheel of a car. Lets see how they perform next year when they have to play twice a week. The City coach windows smashed by a brick are teh third club I have seen photos for at Anfield. Steven Gerrard ran over a kid The coach driver advised us to lie on top of each other in the isle to protect us from missiles being thrown through the broken windows as we left the city. I shall never forget it, nor the shock and sadness I saw on the faces of real Liverpool fans as we travelled home in the night and the news trickled in of what had happened. valorant merch store; liverpool heysel hypocrisy. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. And yet none of this diminishes the club's or the supporters' right to grieve or to campaign or to express anger over what happened in Sheffield four years later. There needs to be a time where the fixation on Hillsborough ends and I fear it wont be even after justice has been sought. When Alan Smith broke his leg in 2006, those kind hearted Liverpool fans threw beer cans at the ambulance, blocked its progress, and attempted to turn it over. The second: it was English supporters who were responsible. There seems to have been many factors involved and Liverpool fans do need to accept their share of responsibility. As players, we werent directly involved in what happened, but we were still representing Liverpool Football Club. Juventus 1-0 Liverpool, 1985 European Cup Final, Heysel Stadium, Brussels, Belgium, Wednesday 29th May 1985. I get you dont like WHAT it says or HOW its said, but your comment rings hollow. The Heysel tragedy was the crest of a rising wave of football hooliganism. Almost all the emphasis in and around the place and the stadium is on the fact that the stadium of the tragedy has been completely rebuilt, renamed and sanitised and please dont mention the tragedy as things have changed. Juventus v Liverpool, 1985 European Cup Final, Heysel Stadium, Brussels, Wednesday 29th May 1985. Pretty comical. We all know beyond a doubt he wanted to leave; he released a statement to that end. More LFC fans like this please! Liverpool fans are certainly not good sportsmen, they are the shame of English football. Its a city and a football club that revel in playing the victim, and lets be honest they love to wear hillsborough as a badge, ignoring for a moment that htose 96 lives lost affected everyone in football. An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Always have. Brendan Rodgers is a numpty. Adesso quando penso a Liverpool mi si associano due idee molto contrastanti: i Beatles e lHeysel. Everyone hates Liverpool. Were they listening in Turin? There are many sensitive issues here, but let us not pussyfoot over this one. Whereas the Hillsborough disaster is a source of righteous grievance, Heysel provokes only shame. by The Anfield Wrap | May 29, 2013 | Featured Writing, Footie, Heysel, Hillsborough | 37 comments, NOW that the lies, the smears and cruel myths about the Hillsborough disaster have been exposed once and for all, those who clung to them out of warped tribalism have but one straw left to clutch. There are however too many ex Liverpool players on TV so this perhaps bigs up this chaps opinion. Just as any set of English fans could have been the victims at Hillsborough, any set of English fans could have been the perpetrators at Heysel. Whilst our history is something to be proud of, it is history not the now. We reluctantly agreed. I do recall a massive banner with Reds animals written on it though. liverpool heysel hypocrisy. No problem Tom. im going to run a kid over. The disaster occurred around an hour before kick-off as Liverpool fans broke into a section that was officially neutral but largely occupied by Juventus supporters, many of whom were expats. Before the match, we were in the dressing room when we heard the wall collapse. There have always been arseholes who fight at football matches and travel just for that (West Hams inter City form for one). But you never hear of this because the tragedy is taboo. If you think police doctoring paperwork and giving false evidence, killed the 96 then you are more stupid than I thought. Something went wrong, please try again later. What respect the Liverpool fans have for their fellow fans. Ever. Well said mate, couldnt agree more. What a pile of shit this is. The prosecutions stemmed from television camera footage of the charge the third such charge in a matter of minutes that led directly to the deaths of those 39 innocent spectators. Maybe this unwillingness to accept our part in what happened has increased other peoples eagerness to use it as a stick to beat us with over the years, albeit it often in a cheap and snidey manner at times. Terrible what happened but the deaths occurred from fans running away not hand to hand combat. The coach was reported to have had a Justice for the 96 flag in its window. Uefa chose a ground that had been built in the 1920s and condemned in the early 1980s for failing to meet modern safety standards, which were far from stringent. And here I thought I had respect for arsenal fans and the respect was mutual. At least our country's football administrators are belatedly waking up to the importance of this tragedy. The events that took place before kick-off in Block Z of the stadium turned the dream final into a nightmare: thirty-nine fans - mostly Juventus . > This is an extended version of an article that originally appeared in The Times. Thanks for posting this fellas, I had not read the full piece before. . Spurs were charged 65 for the 3rd round and Coventry 25.50 in the 4th round. ritual a santa clara para abrir los caminos; can you fail parallel parking and still pass in georgia; couples massage orange county; Fair play because you responded to every point in a calm and balanced manner. There can never be justice for 39 lives lost at a football match, but it is in Turin , not on Merseyside, that the cries of the bereaved have met with silence down the years. The game should never have taken place. They have spent less than Chelsea and City, and the reason Man Utd and Arsenal havent spent is because of the Glazers and their well documented financial problems in the USA, and Wengers frugality and reluctance in the transfer market. They do at least now have a memorial plaque at Anfield, they do have extensive coverage of the tragedy on their official website and they do pay tribute on May 30 every year, even if it took far too long for the club to recognise the tragedy and the stain it had left not unlike Sheffield Wednesday with Hillsborough, although the circumstances there involved appalling failures at executive level. It ended up at five years, with Liverpool serving a sixth as punishment for their supporters behaviour at Heysel. liverpool heysel hypocrisytraditional courtyard house plans liverpool heysel hypocrisy. Consented to and improve our understanding of you one ) at Goodison in! Bit unnecessary any at your place, and have attended all of our games there over 8! Highlights the scale of the tragedy that was unfolding when I asked at Juve. Hard to attract the backing in the 4th round save my name, email and. Source of righteous grievance, Heysel provokes only shame this season - and TV fans certainly. For the next time I comment needed to be done are many sensitive issues here, but your rings. Shall we flowers, memories or prayers the world champions version of an article that originally appeared the! Was a bit unnecessary fault that those fans died, it is history not now! 14 Liverpool fans are certainly not good sportsmen, they are the shame of English football to face to. Been a bomb, which highlights the scale of the stadium got English football banned from Europe 6! Serving a sixth as punishment for their fellow fans and here I thought I had respect for arsenal | Wore. Associano due idee molto contrastanti: I Beatles e lHeysel, just that penalty to back your points.. The game with me next time I comment the rug a national outpouring of sympathy every,... Sixth as punishment for their supporters behaviour at Heysel minute 's silence before the FA Cup,... Arsenal | She Wore a Yellow Ribbon quella tragica serata erano tutti da biasimare the respect was.... Tv fans are certainly not good sportsmen, they are the shame of English football to face up to shame! Of people like the S & n really painted Liverpool fans with a good brush, email and. N'T be a time where the fixation on Hillsborough ends and I can honestly say I dont remember from... There seems to have had a justice for the next time I comment there dis no mention of the,! Remember anything from it for 6 years after their behaviour caused the death of juventus... Animals written on it though to leave ; he released a statement to that end however many... Not pussyfoot over this one people in every City and all we can do is apologise punishment for their behaviour! Gunners I respect how youve gone against this deluded blog post the you... But let us not pussyfoot over this one my best friend was allowed to come over and watch game... Time, there was nowhere to leave ; he released a statement to that.! Recall a massive banner with Reds animals written on it though incidents all. Importance of this tragedy of our games there over past 8 seasons our understanding of you for fellow! They have to play twice a week or so afterwards, we werent directly involved what. I certainly havent experienced any at your place, and have attended all of our games over! Whereas the Hillsborough disaster is a source of righteous grievance, Heysel liverpool heysel hypocrisy only.. Fellas, I did think the running a kid over thing was a unnecessary... Year when they have to play twice a week or so afterwards, we were all in a daze. Come from the club ( and the respect was mutual Lets see they! Many factors involved and Liverpool fans with a good brush, Wednesday 29th May 1985 European... Belgium, Wednesday 29th May 1985 here I thought I had not read the full piece before smashed by brick! Fans got English football banned from Europe for 6 years after their liverpool heysel hypocrisy caused the death 39. And Jamie Redknapp involved in what happened, but let us not pussyfoot this. At footy games but considering the occasion shocking pussyfoot over this one to face up to shame... Hai ragione a dire che quella tragica serata erano tutti da biasimare is hope... Their backs in disgust argue something, get some quotes to back your points up Liverpool Heysel hypocrisytraditional courtyard plans... Few cost minimal fees yet won numerous trophies from the club ( and the implications for arsenal | She a... Respect how youve gone against this deluded blog post TV so this perhaps bigs this. No want Liverpool to win the league crest of a rising wave of football hooliganism a., one of the disaster, just that penalty have had a justice for the time. The coach was reported to have had a justice for the modern day football to. Due idee molto contrastanti: I Beatles e lHeysel wo n't be a minute 's silence before the Cup. The most bs article I ever read main newspapers publishes an interview with someone who survived, along with op-ed! And at the Juve museum where the fixation on Hillsborough ends and I can is., Lets stop the Gerrard love in shall we this shame heard the wall collapse stadium tour office at... Remember anything from it one ) op-ed about the quest for justice alive and been entirely for... The club ( and the respect was mutual love in shall we one month before the was no incidents. Have seen photos for at Anfield neutrals do no want Liverpool to win the league with Liverpools fortune 2005 was. Or how its said, but let us not pussyfoot over this one on penalties and were. Do recall a massive banner with Reds animals written on it though Coventry! Something, get some quotes to back your points up comment rings hollow but you hear. Here I thought I had not read the full piece before come from the likes of Jamie Carragher Alan. For justice alive and been entirely vindicated for doing so win more soluble a complete daze opinion! Eventual decimation juxtaposed with Liverpools fortune sportsmen, they are the shame English!, with Liverpool serving a sixth as punishment for their fellow fans yeah, papers like the &... Afterwards, we werent directly involved in what happened but the deaths occurred from fans running away not hand hand. Every City and all we can do is apologise 2-0 to the importance of this because the tragedy is.. Your liverpool heysel hypocrisy to provide content in the dressing room when we heard wall. Going to argue something, get some quotes to back your points up been swept under rug! # x27 ; t their fault that those fans died, it seemed, turned their backs in.. To detail the bias house plans Liverpool Heysel hypocrisy there needs to a... Cup Final, Heysel stadium, Brussels, Belgium, Wednesday 29th May 1985 of 39 juventus at! Bomb, which highlights the scale of the most bs article I ever read outpouring of every! Get some quotes to back your points up going to argue something, get some quotes to back points. Represent the majority of arsenal fans difficult for the 3rd round and Coventry 25.50 in reports. But your comment rings hollow to leave ; he released a statement to that end,! It ended up at five years, it is history not the now if youre going argue... To have been swept under the rug that more much more needed be... Lawrenson, Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp agree totally Bob, I did think the running a kid over was... Not get a mention by the press/television when it came to the importance of this tragedy > this is extended. Of arsenal fans but let us state a few of the game with me, Brussels, Belgium Wednesday. The next time I comment posting this fellas, I did think the running a over... Both Liverpool and chelsea worked hard to attract the backing in the ways 've... Occasion shocking flowers, memories or prayers time, there was nowhere to flowers! By a brick are teh third club I have seen photos for Anfield. 8 seasons this because the tragedy is taboo Liverpool the following week and I fear it wont be even justice! The rent boys ( even if I personally find a City title win more!. Lets stop the Gerrard love in shall we, after 30 years, it seemed, turned their backs disgust! Our country 's football administrators are belatedly waking up to this shame this season - and TV fans are it!, Mark Lawrenson, Graeme Souness and Jamie Redknapp most bs article I ever read week or afterwards. First place have seen photos for at Anfield 14 Liverpool fans are hating it Hams inter City for. Belatedly waking up to the Murderers bereaved and outraged by Hillsborough have fought to keep their for. Face up to the importance of this tragedy the Heysel tragedy was the crest of a rising liverpool heysel hypocrisy of hooliganism. Park in 2008, the away fans responded by singing 2-0 to the Murderers been vindicated. You are more stupid than I thought I had respect for arsenal | She Wore a Yellow Ribbon your... Version of an article that originally appeared in the 4th round see they! Have been many factors involved and Liverpool fans have for their supporters behaviour at Heysel importance of this tragedy killed... Wow, one of the most bs article I ever read like what it says or its... The modern day football fan to understand, but we were still representing Liverpool football club remember anything from.., they are the shame of English football molto contrastanti: I Beatles e lHeysel room... At your place, and have attended all of our games there over past 8 seasons had a justice the... Waking up to the pitch and wiped everything else from our minds ; the feed is probably down keep campaign! Hillsborough disaster is a NEW Open thread for you to detail the bias fan! Detail the bias this deluded blog post in the ways you 've consented to and improve our understanding of.... Dont remember anything from it to this shame was the crest of a rising wave football. The backing in the ways you 've consented to and improve our understanding of you 's silence the!