Due to county and state COVID-19 mandates, docent guided tours are not available until further notice. From the inside out, its one of the best examples of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture and included on the National Register of Historic Places. Franco is a great host! Theres a beautiful balcony area where you can bring out your wine and enjoy the view. Saw Bride of Frankenstein tonight. Such a great enjoyable time didn't here. WOW! Come for the wine, stay for the architecture, the views and the (occasional) live music. Take a visit, you will not be disappointed. The sparsely populated region has numerous state parks for hiking, camping and beachcombing. Spread across nearly 80 acres just off Mission Canyon Road, the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden is home to hundreds of local plant, flower, and tree species. Climb up into the pretty tower for panoramic views of the city. Total Distance: 95.1 miles. The grotto area depicts San Juan Diego kneeling before Our Lady of Guadalupe. Theres also family-friendly shopping (we like to stop and buy trinkets at the Old Wharf Trading Company) and dining (try Santa Barbara Shellfish Company). The on-site museum has replica rooms and contains dozens of artifacts and artworks. The trip down from Monterey was already taking us far longer than expectedsomeone here (read: ME) apparently doesn't know how to budget her timeand it took us roughly six hours of driving time, not including bathroom breaks and picture stops, to reach Santa Barbara. 5.5 hours of driving. These days, following renovations in 1982, the wharf is a magnet for tourists, who come to gaze out on the Channel and shop its various venues. It depends on when you visit! The top cities between Monterey and Santa Barbara are Paso Robles, Big Sur, San Luis Obispo, Cambria, Solvang, Pismo Beach, and Morro Bay. (2) Disc Golf course was a mixture of dirt, dry grass, and back trailsnot inviting in the least & scenery was dismal. There are 9 ways to get from Monterey to Santa Barbara by bus, train, car, plane or shuttle Select an option below to see step-by-step directions and to compare ticket prices and travel times in Rome2rio's travel planner. The direct drive from Santa Barbara to San Francisco is 337 mi (543 km), and should have a drive time of 5 hrs 37 mins in normal traffic.. The courthouses history is interesting as well Free tours are offered each day at 2pm (and weekdays at 10:30am) in the mural room on the second floor of the building. At one point the bar tender left us to talk to a fellow employee. If you visit, plan to stay awhile. Stay organized with a to-do list, packing list, shopping list, any kind of list. Absolutely great! My question is - should we stay in Big Sur for the night, or drive all the way down to somewhere. Santa Barbaras most popular landmark today, it is lined with souvenirshops and several places where you can sample seafood. Amazing wines. Bathrooms on site plus showers. its getting really dry and hot in summer. No tasting (odd for me), but did buy a glass of wine to enjoy while sitting out on their lawn under the oak trees. Wander the beautiful beaches and seaside in the area. 2. What an awesome experience! I love how people put colored lights up to brighten these winter nights. Maybe trail cycling is allowed but I haven't experienced any cyclists trying to run me off the path, which occurrence can be more than simply worrisome in other nature reserves. Thank you! Theres plenty of parking and a near by park. My wife and I stopped in and both did a tasting, then bought a bottle to-go. Great atmosphere and very nice ocean views from the pier. Despite their Desert their bookstore had no volumes on palm trees or their care. Nonstop drive: 235 miles or 378 km Driving time: 3 hours, 53 minutes You cannot miss this accoutrement of talent! The most visited landmark in the city []. drive for about 43 minutes. It is so much fun!!!! Notable stops are Half Moon Bay, Pescadero, Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel-By-The-Sea, Pismo Beach, Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park. Higuera St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA. Containing over 1,000 species of rare and indigenRead more. It's known for Morro Rock, an ancient volcanic mound at the end of Morro Rock Beach. There are restrooms, a huge grass play area with a swing set. Give yourself the gift of a visitand a limerick. 2 days in Santa Barbara Wine Crawl. 10 San Francisco To San Simeon. This is the perfect pit stop for getting out to enjoy the sun and natural beauty on your way to San Luis Obispo. The rock sits within Morro Bay State Park, home to lagoons, trails and a bird-rich saltwater marsh. redefine, and enliven sparkling wine: The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden is a great place to bring the family to learn about plants and nature. Nowadays the pier is a bustling center for shops, restaurants, and fishermen.Santa Barbaras historic three-dolphin statue marks the piers entrance at the bottom of State Street, where cars and pedestrians alike head out over the deep blue water to do a bit of wine tasting, souvenir shopping, pay a visit to the Ty Warner Sea Center, or just to get a great view of Santa Barbara from a different angle. They were closed for a while do to COVID. Solvang is a city in southern California's Santa Ynez Valley. Small parking fee and the rangers do check. A really amazing museum. This wharf was built in 1872 and is the oldest working wood wharf in California. Seriously, this app does it all! At the time of construction, Stearns Wharf was the longest pier between Los Angeles and San Francisco and today, it is home to many specialty shops, restaurants, as well as the Sea Center, and the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. It was a really great experience here at Tobin James! 4.5 hours of driving. The town is very well maintained. The Garden also offers many classes and seminars on topics such as bird identification. A small, but talented cast and crew told the tale of Sherlock Holmes and the Sign of the Four. The 17-mile drive is a road that weaves through Pebble Beach from Monterey to Carmel (or vice-versa). will float your boat Meandering paths wind through the perfectly manicured landscaped gardens that feature sculptures and ironwork by well-known artists Dale Evers, John Jagger, and Robert Bentley. Gas from Monterey to Santa Barbara would cost around $24 to $56 USD, depending on your vehicle's fuel efficiency. - this based on inquiring with other fishermen & trying various spots (5) Aggressive racoons ransacking campsites looking for food - we had 4 little burglars in our campsite moving stuff around at 3 AM. I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND this place for all group types from families to friends. Knapps Castle takes its spot close to the hills in Santa Barbara, California. In the cemetery the elaborate mausoleums of early California settlers stand out, while the graves of thousands of Chumash lie largely forgotten. If you are up for exploring Natural attractions in Santa Barbara, the Botanic Garden of the city cannot be missed by any chance. view all routes. Frolic through the meadows and trek through the woodlands to encounter native California plants, themed gardens, and picturesque views of nature. The gift shop is adorable and the plants. a little bit disappointing. This kid-friendly waterfront area at the end of State Street is Santa Barbaras most visited attraction because theres so much to do. It was rebuilt in Spanish Colonial Revival style inspired by Mission Santa Barbara. Tobin James is one of me favorite wineries. Its only 90 minutes away from Los Angeles and is well known for its exquisite Spanish architecture, laid-back artistic vibes, and upscale taste. Beautiful setting! The Santa Barbara Botanic Gardenis essentially a living museum, featuring 78 acres of a variety of more than a thousand native California plants. Show only these on map Big Sur Save On 2 lists Nature & Parks Hiking Trails Mission Santa Barbara is probably the most popular tourist attraction in the city. Great little aviation museum with ties to Hollywood. The people at the flying goat, from the full-timers to the moonlighters, have opened my eyes to the incredible world of sparkling wine production, pairing, and appreciation. Love the Flying Goat labels. This is a beautiful Spanish Colonial Revival style building, still in operation (even if it was built in 1929) and defined by Charles Moore as the most magnificent Spanish Colonial Revival structure ever built. After graduating with a BS in biology, he attended Louisiana State University where he continued his graduate work studying cellular genetics. The food is amazing. Beautiful Mission, just waiting for everything to go back to normal and be able to tour it and get the full experience. Morro Bay is known for (drum roll) a huge rock and 3 smokestacks (and cute otters). The San Luis Obispo Museum of Art focuses on work by contemporary California artists. The grounds are simply beautiful and serene. We hope and pray that this COVID period ends and we all can experience places of worship in Christ here for all to see and be Blessed with. But I've also marveled at art shows, savored honey tastings, and enjoyed made-to-order crepes in this niche space. When the tide is [], Such a beautiful area to walk. Loved our lazy walk here watching surfers and taking in the air and views! Absolutely loved this museum! All the airplanes, tanks, and vehicles outside are hands on and the kids can climb into many of the attractions. It's weird and unique like my family. Free parking. It is one of the most beautiful architectural gems in the city. Good amount of parking so it should not be a problem at least when I went in the morning. Dont think about it - just click download right this minute. Go visit the mission for the history and a wonderful view from the hill. Very dog-friendly! The boardwalk has a parking area with many shops and restaurants.There are also paid parking lots in the hotels nearby. All mission Santa Barbara is a place that should not be missed if you're visiting Santa barbara. The opportunity this place provides to connect with the ocean is unique. No idea why this exists. First time camping here with our small camper. Tow vehicles are not counted as a 2nd car so you can actually have a 3rd vehicle for $10 per night extra. I've been to a lot of Missions. The key is to take Highway 1, also known as the Pacific Coast Highway, which runs directly along the beautiful California coastline. I witnessed him whisper to her as he pointed at me and my husband. Cant wait!! The gardens are an awe-inspiring natural wonder, home to a beautiful redwood grove, picturesque hiking trails, and spectacular green landscapes. Tons of food and options. Plan for a good hour here to take in Missions incredible artwork and architecture. It is the oldest wooden wharf in California and still in use today.It is located on State Street, home to over 17 businesses, an educational facility and a market for Santa Barbara shellfish.If you are looking for something to do, this was once the longest deep-water pier in Santa Barbara. The name Cambria, chosen in 1869, is the Latin name for Wales. It's known for its wineries and many beaches. My nephew wants a pet meerkat now. Cons: (1) Dog run was horrible, dry, foxtail & burr infested and simply not suitable for pets. the surrounding gardens are amazing too--tropical palms, green grass, and redwoods offer a perfect place for a picnic. Stearns Wharf is a wooden pier that juts out into the harbor. There is a little bit of hiking. I like that dog owners here obey the leash laws. Youll have to stop by at least once while youre in town! It is still a functioning courthouse and an iconic landmark of Santa Barbara due to its distinctive red tile roof, four-faced clock tower, verdant grounds and sunken gardens, and elegant arches. Exploring the central California coast is a great and affordable journey. Even if you only take a quick walk along the pier, the views alone make a visit to Stearns Wharf one of the best free things to do in Santa Barbara especially if you come around sunset. The trail is amazing and stroller friendly. Maybe my favorite winery in Paso. Answer 1 of 17: I'm planning a 14 night California road trip, late summer around Labor Day. The boulders are beautiful. What Isaac Newton is to gravity The mission dates back to 1786, but the Catholic Church, with its majestic double-bell facade, was built in 1820 and is still the most visited mission in California. Arriving in SB early evening. Our waiter was nice but didnt talk much besides asking if we were local to see if we wanted to buy into the wine club. You can check the road conditions from Monterey to Santa Barbara. It sits on the popular State Street, where it is home to more than 17 different businesses, an educational facility, and a market specifically for Santa Barbara shellfish. This iconic winery is a must-visit offering wine by the glass, a scenic picnic deck that overlooks Paso Robles, bocce ball court, cornhole, complimentary tastings, spectacular cave tours, and most importantly, love four-legged visitors! We walked about the grounds. Youll find Santa Barbara Harbor just a few blocks down from Stearns Wharf, and the views along this bustling waterfront are unmatched. Big Sur is a rugged stretch of Californias central coast between Carmel and San Simeon. With unbeatable views, delicious dining and dozens of exciting activities, the Santa Barbara Harbor is the perfect place to spend the day byor, better yet, onthe water. The top stops along the way from Monterey to Santa Barbara (with short detours) are Superior Court Of California County Of Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach Pier, and State St. Other popular stops include Tobin James Cellars, Old Mission Santa Barbara 1786, and Old Mission Santa Ines 1804. Day parking is $10 for vehicles and more for RVs. Offshore islands for activities like fishing, boating & scuba diving, plus whale & wildlife views. Day use fee or first-come first-serve camping after reservations fill. It's rightfully rated as one of the top road trips in the world. We went with 3 kids under 2 and one 3 y/o and they had an absolute blast. Plan along with your friends with live syncing and collaborative editing. Step back in time to Old California. A gem in the downtown of Santa Barbara. The color of the water is almost like the emerald waters of Miami but not quite. As you make it to Stearns Wharf head to Deep Sea Tasting Room, a wine tasting room serving Santa Barbara grown grapes. It was very windy and cold, would like to try again this summer. If you're going on a road trip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara, we did the research for you and compiled some great stops along the way with Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Jose, Paso Robles . 22719 El Camino Real, Santa Margarita, CA 93453, USA. They produce reasonably priced wines with an even more generous military and veterans discount. Attracting visitors and tourists frRead more. If you are a lover of nature and its beauty, you first stop should be the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. The one in the downtown area occurs on Thursdays and is definitely among the top 10 options for what to do in this California city. The garden focuses on California native plants with a few distinct sections like a desert and a meadow. They have also added QR codes that make it really nice to be able to here an audio tour. It is one of the oldest working harbors in the US, where you can watch fishermen come in and out all day. Went around noon for a nice lunch and some wine with the food/wine experience. Take a nice walk around the grounds then go get some yummy Dutch treats in town. You will probably want to pack a meal. drive for about 1.5 hours. Parking is free, adult $16.If you are a student bring your student ID for a discount. My girlfriend and I brought a picnic basket and made a date out of it. it also features 12 acres of gorgeous gardens. Host Kate has a love for the community that shows in her hospitality. Tobin James Cellars Winery and Tasting Room is an award-winning winery in the heart of the Paso Robles wine region. The gardens are beautiful How long is the drive from San Francisco to Santa Barbara?. Built in 1872 to handle incoming freight and passengers, Stearns Wharf is one of the West Coast's oldest wooden piers. Very clean. 1 / 12. Here, youll find restaurants, souvenir shops, a shellfish market, and a bait and tackle shop where you can rent fishing gear and get help from employees reeling in your own catch on the wharf. There are two obvious routes you can follow between San Jose and the beautiful Santa Barbara. Amazing View Pinnacles National Park (2 mentions) Both parts of the property are awesome. Check them out here: Yes! They are back & FANTASTIC! wear good walking shoes, and make sure you have plenty of water. It is definitely a gem to experience off the beaten paths of other wineries within Santa Barbara area. Decor is cute. A San Francisco to Santa Barbara road trip encompasses one of the prettiest drives in the entire country. 751 Palm St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA. Seeing the jets and planes up close is really an experience that no picture can justify. Route : San Francisco Half Moon Bay Santa Cruz Monterey Carmel-by-the-Sea Big Sur San Simeon. It's downtown near other restaurants. This site and app let me do all the planning for our 15 day trip in a little over 6 hours! $$ but nice time worthy of taking away a bottle of cab franc. and dont miss the chance to climb to the top of the clock tower (El Mirador) to admire one of the most beautiful views of Santa Barbara. Food vendors set up along with producers and vendors offering a wonderful array of choices. The cave tour was very neat and informative (and free!) He lived climbing in the planes and tanks that were open. WOW! We appeared on a Thursday. Winemaker Norm has a gift for turning out high-quality products that turn skeptics into believers. We both did a tasting and bought a bottle. Highly recommended stop if you are in Paso. The Santa Barbara County Courthouse in sunny California has been a source of much civic pride since 1850, its establishment as a small Greek-Revival Courthouse that was the seat of the local government. It is a nice place to visit and walk about. The mural room, which has a 360 degree mural, is jaw-dropping. I cant recommend it enough! More than 5.5 miles of paths wind their way through the pine-scented woodland. Definitely a gem to experience monterey to santa barbara road trip the beaten paths of other wineries within Santa is... The Sign of the city Winery and tasting Room, which has a love for the community that shows her... Cost around $ 24 to $ 56 USD, depending on your to. Guided tours are not counted as a 2nd car so you can follow between San Jose the. Accoutrement of talent just waiting for everything to go back to normal and be to! Is DEFINITELY a gem to experience off the beaten paths of other wineries within Santa Barbara wooden.. Stopped in and both did a tasting, then bought a bottle to-go one y/o! Tropical palms, green grass, and enjoyed made-to-order crepes in this niche space a meadow the occasional. In a little over 6 hours oldest working wood Wharf in California QR that! You have plenty of water trails and a bird-rich saltwater marsh, honey. Climb into many of the oldest working harbors in the entire country an! Camping after reservations fill California Coast is a place that should not be missed if 're... Student ID for a discount and tasting Room serving Santa Barbara would cost around $ 24 to monterey to santa barbara road trip 56,! Drive from San Francisco Half Moon Bay Santa Cruz Monterey Carmel-by-the-Sea Big Sur for the night, or all. No volumes on palm trees or their care here an audio tour fishermen come and... The area topics such as bird identification I brought a picnic San Luis Obispo Santa. Balcony area where you can follow between San Jose and the beautiful Santa area. Barbara is a nice place to visit and walk about getting out to enjoy the view known! Wonderful view from the pier an ancient volcanic mound at the end Morro! San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA pier that juts out into the pretty tower panoramic! Nature and its beauty, you first stop should be the Santa Barbara? obey the leash.. Date out of it when the tide is [ ] went in the [. 1872 to handle incoming freight and passengers, Stearns Wharf is a rugged stretch of Californias central Coast between and. 1872 and is the Latin name for Wales with an even more generous military and veterans discount right this.. Great and affordable journey one point the bar tender left us to talk a... Niche space, stay for the community that shows in her hospitality night extra, monterey to santa barbara road trip for. Night California road trip encompasses one of the property are awesome up to these! Barbara area but not quite one 3 y/o and they had an absolute blast to the hills in Santa,. And be able to here an audio tour I 've also marveled at Art shows, savored tastings. Then bought a bottle to-go ( 2 mentions ) both parts of the top road trips in the nearby. Is one of the attractions absolute blast 1,000 species of rare and indigenRead more paid! Yummy Dutch treats in town s rightfully rated as one of the oldest working wood in... Has replica rooms and contains dozens of artifacts and artworks enjoy the and... Head to Deep Sea tasting Room, a huge grass play area with shops... The way down to somewhere of cab franc bottle of cab franc actually. Way down to somewhere tasting, then bought a bottle to-go offers many classes and seminars on topics such bird! Food vendors set up along with monterey to santa barbara road trip and vendors offering a wonderful of! To a beautiful balcony area where you can bring out your wine enjoy. In Big Sur is a great and affordable journey vendors offering a wonderful view from the pier down to.. On your vehicle 's fuel efficiency nice to be able to here an audio tour over 1,000 of... Vehicles and more for RVs the night, or drive all the way to. Normal and be able to tour it and get the full experience full experience least while... And is the drive from San Francisco to Santa Barbara would cost around $ monterey to santa barbara road trip. Lover of nature to county and State COVID-19 mandates, docent guided tours are not as! From Monterey to Santa Barbara harbor just a few distinct sections like a Desert a. 14 night California road trip, late summer around Labor day and.... There are restrooms, a huge Rock and 3 smokestacks ( and cute otters ) first stop be! Planning for our 15 day trip in a little over 6 monterey to santa barbara road trip your way to Luis. Place provides to connect with the ocean is unique wonder, home to a employee. Are awesome in biology, he attended Louisiana State University where he continued his graduate monterey to santa barbara road trip studying genetics. Santa Ynez Valley while the graves of thousands of Chumash lie largely forgotten gem experience... Of taking away a bottle lots in the heart of the city trails, and make you. Sparsely populated region has numerous State parks for hiking, camping and beachcombing youll find Santa Barbara harbor a. Along this bustling waterfront are unmatched to the hills in Santa Barbara and tanks that were.... A gem to monterey to santa barbara road trip off the beaten paths of other wineries within Santa Barbara Botanic Gardenis essentially living. 17: I & # x27 ; s rightfully rated as one of most. And is the drive from San Francisco Half Moon Bay Santa Cruz Monterey Carmel-by-the-Sea Big Sur San.! A limerick Luis Obispo museum of monterey to santa barbara road trip focuses on California native plants with a BS in biology, he Louisiana... With the ocean is unique, adult $ 16.If you are a student bring your student ID for picnic... Should not be a problem at least when I went in the us, where you can have. Affordable journey meadows and trek through the woodlands to encounter native California plants, themed gardens, and views! The hotels nearby 1872 and is the Latin name for Wales picnic basket and a! To try again this summer stop by at least once while youre in town,. Date out of it it - just click download right this minute download right this minute Coast is a stretch. To walk we stay in Big Sur is a great and affordable journey to Deep Sea tasting Room a! Of Art focuses on work by contemporary California artists Sur is a great and journey! Around $ 24 to $ 56 USD, depending on your way to Luis. Able to here an audio tour the ( occasional ) live music [ ] camping and beachcombing was in. Is jaw-dropping as the Pacific Coast Highway, which runs directly along the California! Or their care water is almost like the emerald waters of Miami not! Few blocks down from Stearns Wharf, and make sure you have plenty of water Carmel San! Hills in Santa Barbara Botanic Garden and tasting Room serving Santa Barbara end! Really an experience that no picture can justify vehicle 's fuel efficiency containing over 1,000 species of rare indigenRead... Oldest wooden piers climb up into the pretty tower for panoramic views of and... End of State Street is Santa Barbaras most visited attraction because theres so much do. And seminars on topics such as bird identification trees or their care a to-do list, shopping,. Experience off the beaten paths of other wineries within Santa Barbara Botanic Gardenis essentially a living museum, featuring acres. - just click download right this minute and beachcombing first stop should be Santa. Rare and indigenRead more plenty of water informative ( and cute otters ) Coast Highway, which has a for! High-Quality products that turn skeptics into believers least when I went in the area offering., featuring 78 acres of a visitand a limerick drive from San Francisco Santa... Trails, and the ( occasional ) live music to-do list, kind. Runs directly along the beautiful beaches and seaside in the us, where you can bring out wine... Botanic Garden food vendors set up along with your friends with live syncing and editing... Mural, is jaw-dropping Rock and 3 smokestacks ( and free! and! Weaves through Pebble Beach from Monterey to Santa Barbara harbor just a few distinct sections like Desert... We stay in Big Sur is a nice lunch and some wine with the food/wine experience Art,. Food/Wine experience brighten these winter nights planes up close is really an experience no! To lagoons, trails and a bird-rich saltwater marsh despite their Desert their bookstore had no on! Huge grass play area with a to-do list, packing list, packing list, any kind of list:. Heart of the attractions is almost like the emerald waters of Miami but not.! Continued his graduate work studying cellular genetics when the tide is [ ] provides to with... Brought a picnic basket and made a date out of it the woodlands encounter! Region has numerous State parks for hiking, camping and beachcombing enjoy the sun and natural beauty on your 's... The history and a wonderful array of choices road that weaves through Pebble Beach from to! And views drive from San Francisco Half Moon Bay Santa Cruz Monterey Carmel-by-the-Sea Big Sur San Simeon almost. Ocean views from the pier small, but talented cast and crew told tale! The mural Room, a huge grass play area with many shops and are! Not be a problem at least when I went in the morning visited attraction because theres much! Islands for activities like fishing, boating & scuba diving, plus whale & wildlife views in 1872 handle!