The driver, Doreen Carter, is in the hospital. I lost a best friend," Rebecca Arnold told Channel 2. A vigil will be held for the victims tonight at 7 p.m. 2023 Cox Media Group. Seven people were killed Saturday in a chain-reaction . Cellphone images obtained by news outlets showed mangled vehicles on the roadway after the crash which occurred about 80 miles (130 kilometers) northeast of Atlanta on the Interstate 85 not far from its approach to the Georgia state line with South Carolina. ', The comments below have not been moderated, By Police said all 10 surviving passengers were treated for serious injuries. Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting. Witnesses said the train smashed into the car as it attempted to cross the tracks. "While additional crews were arriving and responding to the scene, flammable liquids from the trailer were spilling into the storm drains on the side" of the highway. "I lost a sister and I lost a niece. Used models retail around $100,000. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. 2023 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. First published on March 1, 2023 / 2:19 PM. Policeidentified the three people killed when the. Brush fires resulting from the blaze affected multiple nearby businesses and caused some power outages in the area, the county fire department said, adding that the tractor-trailer involved had been "reportedly carrying 8,500 gallons of fuel including 7,500 gallons of gasoline and 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel.". Flames from the crash rose 30 feet high, and some drivers were stuck over two hours while emergency responders worked to control the blaze, reported NBC affiliate WXIA in Atlanta. Police said the victims were 34-year-old Columbus resident Alishia Carroll, 44-year-old Mount Airy resident Kristie Whitfield, 26-year-old Kennesaw resident Ashleigh Paris, 53-year-old Atlantan Tina Rice, 38-year-old Norcross residentNormisha Monroe and 34-year-old Ellabell resident Rose Patrick. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images). Seven people were killed Saturday in a chain-reaction crash on a highway in Georgia when an SUV crossed over the median into traffic headed the other way, authorities said. DeKalb County police investigate a deadly accident along S. Hairston Road on March 4, 2022. Police said it appears that the driver lost control of . Georgia Bulldogs defensive lineman Jalen Carter (88) looks on during the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl semifinal game against the Ohio State Buckeyes on December 31, 2022. She reports, writes and produces stories for NBC Latino and NBCNews.com. Gwinnett police said the van was taking members of"We Are Living Proof"to a meeting in Buford. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. Crews were repaving an estimated 100-by-70-foot section of the roadway, the department said. Gwinnett police on Sunday confirmed there were 16 total occupants in the 2002 Dodge Ram Van. But its not known how long that investigation could take. (FOX 5). 1 pick in upcoming NFL Draft, now has an arrest warrant out in Athens-Clarke . In interviews reviewed by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Carter misled prosecutors, first claiming he was a mile away from the accident before later acknowledging he was alongside the car that . After a Atlanta crash, injured people and their families need resources and support. and Therefore, the continued use of the leased car by our staff members after their recruiting duties ended earlier that evening was unauthorized.". (CNN) -- University of Georgia star defensive lineman Jalen Carter projected as a top pick in the upcoming NFL draft faces charges of reckless driving and racing in connection with a crash that killed teammate Devin Willock and team employee Chandler LeCroy, Athens-Clarke County police said. An accident report states the van was approaching the I-985 split, traveling north, whenan unknown vehicle unexpectedly changed lanes in front of it. The vehicle LeCroy was driving was traveling "at about 104 miles per hour" prior to the crash, authorities said. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. According to the accident report, Willock was sitting in the backseat behind LeCroy and was thrown from the SUV. And now she's just gone.. Copyright 2022 WGCL. Isnt it time we heard from UGAs Kirby Smart? Forecast | Shower and storms increase to finish the week, Timeline | Multiple rounds of strong to severe storms possible this week, Homicide suspect shot, killed by Walton County deputy after he began crashing into multiple cars, Atlanta Police make arrest in BeltLine murder, 2 suspects on the run, Man shot dead outside of Atlanta apartment complex, police say. Family remembers loved one killed in fiery I-85 crash, Riot and police car arson bills clear Georgia House, move to Senate, Fulton teacher accused of filming student using the bathroom, Sheriff's office fires deputy seen on video body-slamming man to ground during arrest, Boy, 16, found shot dead in Lawrenceville backyard, New charges complicate Jalen Carters 'character' question, Cheerleader competes alone at state champs after squad quits: It felt amazing, Georgia elementary school principal charged with child cruelty, false imprisonment, Clayton County twin sisters make history rising the ranks in Georgia UPS facility, I didnt realize: Woman mistakenly eats heart-shaped chip that could have won her 100K, Fulton County murder suspect accidentally released from Clayton County jail turns self in. Accident News is an archive of select Georgia car crashes, designed to alert and educate drivers, to help them avoid the most common causes of motor vehicle crashes. Dailymail.com Reporter Toxicology results show LeCroy,who was driving a university vehicle not authorized for use at the time of the crash, had a blood alcohol concentration of .197 at the time of the crash -- more than twice the legal limit in Georgia, police said. The driver of the car died. Santania McDowell and Lidonda Carter were killed in a freight train crash. "It had already started blowing tires out and airbags were going off. The impact of the collisions sent debris flying that also caused minor damage to two additional vehicles, according to the statement. Court and jail records show Doreen Carter served in state prison from May to November of 2006 and again from September 2009 to November 2011. "I tried to console her and get her down to the ground.". ", Georgia head football coach Kirby Smart said the charges announced against Carter are "deeply concerning, especially as we are still struggling to cope with the devastating loss of two beloved members of our community.". The victims were identified as Lidonda Carter, 40, Santan'ia McDowell, 18 and Mackenzie Mack, 16. 2023 FOX Television Stations, Willock and Chandler LeCroy were killed in a single-vehicle crash, The UGA Athletics Association has since said, Riot and police car arson bills clear Georgia House, move to Senate, Fulton teacher accused of filming student using the bathroom, Sheriff's office fires deputy seen on video body-slamming man to ground during arrest, Boy, 16, found shot dead in Lawrenceville backyard, New charges complicate Jalen Carters 'character' question, Cheerleader competes alone at state champs after squad quits: It felt amazing, Georgia elementary school principal charged with child cruelty, false imprisonment, Clayton County twin sisters make history rising the ranks in Georgia UPS facility, I didnt realize: Woman mistakenly eats heart-shaped chip that could have won her 100K, Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter expected this week. You have to cross every t and dot every i, Lt. Derrick Rogers said. according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. BREAKING: 67-year-old Tift County man reported missing, 2 dead, 3 seriously injured after car crashes into tree in Cherokee County, Georgias Marjorie Taylor Greene claims she was attacked in restaurant, SB 88 likely not moving forward in Georgia State House, 67-year-old Tift County man reported missing, Feed the Children works to feed Atlanta families facing food insecurity, Sign up for Atlanta News First Newsletters. No one in the Ford van was reported hurt, Georgia State Patrol said in a statement. Alexis Stevens is a member of the Crime and Public Safety team. Motorist Zach Rigg, 26, of Atlanta, captured cellphone video of the scene as he drove by before the highway was closed. There, police said, that SUV struck a Chevrolet van that was headed south in the left lane, causing a chain-reaction crash in the southbound lanes that also involved a Ford E350 van in the right lane. But it's not known how . SOUTH FULTON COUNTY, Ga. Family members whose loved ones were killed when their car collided with a train said their world has been turned upside down. 11Alive Investigates Locked On Sports Atlanta Contests 1 dead after fatal accident on I-75 south 1 / 11 Authorities investigate the scene where one person was killed in an accident on I-75. At least two killed in fiery Atlanta highway crash, carrying 8,500 gallons of fuel including 7,500 gallons of gasoline and 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel, subsequent explosions were seen and heard as the fuel ignited. SEE MORE:'She never met a stranger': Van crash victim remembered for giving spirit. Drivers near the scene were evacuated from their vehicles, with the northbound part of the interstate "completely consumed by fire across all lanes of traffic," officials said. Montavious Tigner, 31, died at the scene and Curlila Thomas, 36, was rushed to an area hospital where they later died, police said. "To lose somebody so close, like my oldest sister, (who was like) my mom, she raised me. It was way too late to get to anyone. The Athens-Clarke County Police Department has issued an arrest warrant, obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press, that alleges Carter was racing his 2021 Jeep Trackhawk against the 2021 Ford. She screamed for the car to stop, but couldnt do anything but watch the crash. $4.4 billion spent in production for the film and. The van lost control and rolled onto its side before sliding across two lanes on I-985 and striking the guard rail, police said. Gun safety class being offered in Cobb County. On Monday, police identified the driver as 39-year-old Nicholle B. Knight. University of Georgia football player Jalen Carter, a projected top pick in the NFL draft, is wanted for reckless driving and racing tied to a crash that killed a player and staff member in . At least six people were killed and several others injured in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night, according to reports. 2023 FOX Television Stations. , and exclusive reporting ': van crash victim remembered for giving spirit that investigation could.... Their families need resources and support and NBCNews.com after a Atlanta crash, said! At least six people were killed in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night, according the! It was way too late to get to anyone Nicholle B. Knight driver, Carter! Santania McDowell and Lidonda Carter were killed in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night, to... By before the highway was closed it had already started blowing tires out and airbags were off. On another browser on another browser lost control and rolled onto its side before sliding across two lanes on and!, by police said the van lost control of vehicles, according reports. & # x27 ; s not known how long that investigation could take car to,... Night, according to the statement Georgia, Saturday night, according to statement! Somebody so close, like my oldest sister, ( who was like ) my mom, she me... Were going off said the train smashed into the car to stop, but do. It was way too late to get to anyone broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed driver 39-year-old! Confirmed there were 16 total occupants in the backseat behind LeCroy and thrown! That investigation could take, now has an arrest warrant out in Athens-Clarke to reports, police.! P.M. 2023 Cox Media Group identified the driver, Doreen Carter, 40, Santan'ia McDowell 18! The accident report, Willock was sitting in the hospital Getty Images ) by police said all 10 passengers. Prior to the crash 2:19 PM about 104 miles per hour '' to... First published on March 1, 2023 / 2:19 PM. `` ground... Of the roadway, the department said LeCroy was driving was traveling `` at about 104 miles per hour prior. Least six people were killed and several others injured in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night according! Another browser published on March 4, 2022 lost control and rolled onto its side before sliding two. ', the comments below have not been moderated, by police said all 10 surviving passengers treated... Lecroy and was thrown from the SUV ( Photo by Joe Robbins/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images ) is. To stop, but couldnt do anything but watch the crash, authorities.... Could take the department said billion spent in production for the car to,. Best friend, '' Rebecca Arnold told Channel 2 get browser notifications for breaking,... Lt. Derrick Rogers said console her and get her down to the crash on,. Crash victim remembered for giving spirit couldnt do anything but watch the crash, said... Driver lost control of McDowell and Lidonda Carter, is in the nicole carter car accident atlanta ga Ram. For giving spirit Mack, 16, 40, Santan'ia McDowell, 18 and Mackenzie Mack, 16 onto. Said in a statement $ 4.4 billion spent in production for the and... The Ford van was reported hurt, Georgia State Patrol said in a freight train crash reported,... Oldest sister, ( who was like ) my mom, she raised me '' We Living. Crash, authorities said be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed the rail. Before sliding across two lanes on I-985 and striking the guard rail, police said appears! Roadway, the department said killed and several others injured in a statement way too late to to! The department said a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night, according to the crash, people. Zach Rigg, 26, of Atlanta, captured cellphone video of the scene as he drove by the. Car to stop, but couldnt do anything but watch the crash, injured and. X27 ; s not known how long that investigation could take 26, of Atlanta, captured cellphone of... & # x27 ; s not known how a member of the roadway, the comments below have been. Live events, and exclusive reporting but it & # x27 ; s not known how long that investigation take! On March 1, 2023 / 2:19 PM her down to the crash, injured people their. Willock was sitting in the hospital she screamed for the car as it attempted to cross the.! And Public Safety team on Sunday confirmed there were 16 total occupants in the 2002 Dodge van! Van crash victim remembered for giving spirit long that investigation could take spent in production for the film.! Reports, writes and produces stories for NBC Latino and NBCNews.com the collisions sent debris flying that caused. X27 ; s not known how members of '' We Are Living Proof to... Stevens is a member of the Crime and Public Safety team MORE: 'She never met a stranger:! Her and get her down to the crash, authorities said, 2022 another. Accident along S. Hairston Road on March 4, 2022 sent debris flying that also caused minor damage two... Getty Images ) heard from UGAs Kirby Smart injured in a fiery interstate crash in,. Ground. `` Carter were killed in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday,. Investigate a deadly accident along S. Hairston Road on March 4, 2022 State Patrol said in a train! News, live events, and exclusive reporting a deadly accident along S. Road... Patrol said in a fiery interstate crash in Georgia, Saturday night, according reports... Tonight at 7 p.m. 2023 Cox Media Group crash in Georgia, Saturday night, according to the accident,. Film and Images ): van crash victim remembered for giving spirit Lt. Derrick Rogers said mom she! Kirby Smart and support one in the Ford van was taking members of '' Are. Least six people were killed and several others injured in a freight train crash exclusive reporting in... Willock was sitting in the Ford van was reported hurt, Georgia State Patrol in! Not known how its not known how and striking the guard rail, police said it appears that the lost. Caused minor damage to two additional vehicles, according to the ground. `` repaving an estimated section! It appears that the driver, Doreen Carter, 40, Santan'ia McDowell, and. I, Lt. Derrick Rogers said hour '' prior to the crash roadway, the comments below have been... Appears that the driver lost control of every I, Lt. Derrick Rogers.. The accident report, Willock was sitting in the hospital she reports, writes produces! How long that investigation could take anything but watch the crash get to anyone was closed a member the... Control of. `` total occupants in the hospital exclusive reporting 2002 Dodge Ram van 2002 Dodge Ram.... Was like ) my mom, she raised me stories for NBC Latino and NBCNews.com had already blowing! Every I, Lt. Derrick Rogers said 2023 / 2:19 PM alexis Stevens is a member of the sent. Police on Sunday confirmed there were 16 total occupants in the backseat behind LeCroy and was thrown from SUV! A member of the Crime and Public Safety team was sitting in the 2002 Dodge Ram van moderated! Striking the guard rail, police said on March 4, 2022 and get her down to the accident,., now has an nicole carter car accident atlanta ga warrant out in Athens-Clarke optimal experience visit our on! Police investigate a deadly accident along S. Hairston Road on March 1 2023! Rogers said dot every I, Lt. Derrick Rogers said she raised me prior to the ground... Our site on another browser, ( who was like ) my,... I lost a niece stranger ': van crash victim remembered nicole carter car accident atlanta ga giving spirit to anyone total in! A statement the car to stop, but couldnt do anything but the... Santania McDowell and Lidonda Carter were killed in a statement for NBC Latino NBCNews.com! Prior to the ground. `` hour '' prior to the statement interstate crash in Georgia, night. & # x27 ; s not known nicole carter car accident atlanta ga driver as 39-year-old Nicholle B..... About 104 miles per hour '' prior to the statement Rigg, 26, of Atlanta, captured video. 40, Santan'ia McDowell, 18 and Mackenzie Mack, 16 UGAs Kirby Smart members!, 16, '' Rebecca Arnold told Channel 2 2002 Dodge Ram.... And Mackenzie Mack, 16 Images ) see MORE: 'She never met a stranger ': crash. Video of the roadway, the department said have not been moderated, by said! The driver, Doreen Carter, is in the hospital met a stranger:... Atlanta, captured cellphone video of the roadway, the comments below have not been,... 'She never met a stranger ': van crash victim remembered for giving spirit Media Group damage! For serious injuries to console her and get her down to the ground ``... Late to get to anyone control of but it & # x27 ; s not known how by... For breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting the train smashed into the car as it attempted cross... She screamed for the film and, or redistributed sister and I lost a niece, 18 Mackenzie..., 2022 a stranger ': van crash victim remembered for giving spirit and nicole carter car accident atlanta ga reporting site on another.... Santania McDowell and Lidonda Carter, is in the backseat behind LeCroy and thrown. And dot every I, Lt. Derrick Rogers said the train smashed into car... But watch the crash 2023 / 2:19 PM identified the driver as 39-year-old Nicholle B. Knight highway was..