WebThe SOCOM 16 put three shots into about two inches, with the other two shots opening the group up to about ten inches using the Hornady Steel Match ammo. Like everything else made today I suspect the fit and finish of the action is not up to par to the production from the 80's. The one you tested was a 1-11.25 twist however, few of these do a good job of stabilizing bullets much heavier than 165gr. So if youre looking for a longer-ranged option, the Socom is the better The forward scout-style scope rail optimizes the unparalleled close quarters capabilities of the M1A SOCOM 16. The 7.62 does the job ! ABM ammo shot best groups of the day at 100 yards with Aimpoint installed. First of all, the 1.25 MOA that was finally obtained is acceptable even for 400m antelope shots but the one single issue that seems to affect this rifle the most is ammo. Even with no magnification, author shot groups of about two inches. The excellent Nightforce Optics 60x scope spotted all the shots. For the record I own the 18 scout model, One more important thing about the m1a in my experience that does seem to get glazed over a bit in the review (which was great by the way, appreciate the honesty) is that the gun goes bang every time, which, again, is pretty cool. They even included the optics and mounts to ensure wed be able to repeat their results. These It produced a best single group of 1.86" with an average of 1.99". The M14 I shot in service compared to the m1a I purchased are two totally different dogs but they both like 162 and 168 grain bullets. Thank you! WebThe SOCOM 16 put three shots into about two inches, with the other two shots opening the group up to about ten inches using the Hornady Steel Match ammo. WebThe Sportsman's Shop 7.47K subscribers In this video we take a close look into the Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16 Rifle! My opinion is that it is a difficult toy to achieve its maximum accuracy. I'll take the M14, thanks. Best marksman rifle or 10 MOA monster? It shoots very reliably and I love the looks and history. Damn few servicemen today are in former group, and seem to be trained in the "spray, and pray" method and would be lost without an acog. The latest content straight to your inbox plus an automatic entry to each of our monthly giveaways! This would give me a 1.5 MOA result Smith & Wesson's new M&P FPC is a compact, folding pistol-caliber carbine chambered in 9 mm Luger and designed to accept the company's M&P handgun magazines. My first real prolonged exposure to shooting was in the military, so I basically grew up on the AR platform. The .458 SOCOM treads hard on its heels, but with a flatter (albeit still arcing) trajectory. The M1As safety is located within the trigger guard itself, and is essentially a metal tab that you press forward to disengage. Many shooters may think the lighter weight of the SOCOM 16 CQB rifle will cause an increase in recoil, and that would be true if it werent for the very effective muzzle brake installed at the factory. The M14 socom has a shorter barrel than the standard M14 and thus has a shorter effective range of about 500 yards. So the guns did okay and shot pretty close to what Springfield reported with the addition of optics. Again I'm 72 with way less than perfect vision. To achieve this it is best to start by getting acquainted with a shooting sling and building a rock solid prone position. Accuracy results are the average of four, five-shot groups, over a Sinclair shooting rest, at 50 yards. The US would have been better off with the FAL. If you keep a loaded firearm where a child obtains and improperly uses it, you may be fined or sent to prison. As for the rifles themselves they certainly have their niche. WebThe .458 SOCOM achieves optimum ballistic performance in barrel lengths shorter than 16 so there is no need for longer, less portable barrels. This rifle, with heavy stock and barrel was made heavier by putting rolls of pennys in the cleaning rod cavity of the stock. We should note though that youll likely want to invest in a cheek riser if you wind up using an optic on these rifles, as they tend to sit quite high above the bore. I've shot and loaded 308 most of my life and I kind of know what works. Even with no magnification, author shot groups of about two inches. Straight up no BS. The idea behind the M1A SOCOM 16 was to provide 7.6251 capabilities in a smaller, shorter and lighter package than the full-size M1A. Social media guy and gucci gear nerd extraordinaire, he enjoys tracking the equipment trends of various SOF forces worldwide and collecting a wholly unnecessary amount of Multicam Black kit. With the iron sights, I can get a very good cheek weld shooting off the bench or offhand, but with either the Aimpoint or the Leupold optic, my head was positioned a little higher in order to see through the optics, so an additional riser on the comb would need to be installed. I have a M1A National Match in 6.5 Creedmoor. In this article, Steve Sieberts reviews Springfield Armorys SOCOM 16 CQB rifle. There are some things that need to be improved like replacing the spring guide $35-$40.00) and the guide spring ($35.00) both from (Sadlak Inc.) acquire at the same time this will improve your groups somewhat. Re: AR15 16" maximum effective range A 16" AR can get you to 1K with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel with the 75+ grain bullets (maybe 68 grain BTHP). You still need something between the gun and the rock or you can develop both recoil direction issues as well as barrel harmonic issues. I'll say, nerd or not. The traditional steel bow two-stage trigger was smooth with a 5 lbs. Definitely was you. My GI M1a has done 2 inches off the bags even with cheap steel case at 100 yards. Only thing added is scopes and shoot the same of 1.125-1.50 @ 100yds and only the M1A 2 tapped a hole numerous times. This list, which must be updated at least once a year, has grown to include approximately 900 chemicals since it was first published in 1987. You could fully load an M-4 style rifle with 30 rounds, optic, sling, and laser and be close to that same weight. Great article. One day I happened to notice that the rear sight assembly was loose somehow. But I think the gun gets a bad rap it doesn't deserve. I must have a good one because I can't see shit nowadays LOL, To old to miss here , just bought a Palmetto socom16 , zeroed scope starting at 50 yards , punched one hole after zero. Im not a great shooter so I cant blame the gun when holes seem to migrate. I would have to find the reticle or dot, depending on the optic I was using. on the GI length barrel, can be used as a crude, but effective range finder. You do not pay Since I was a member of the Units Pistol Team, I was able to attend the course during the off-season. After a few mags, we decided to setup a shooting mat and rest to take some prone shots with an optic mounted to the SOC16s scout mount to see if the irons themselves were just inexplicably way off. Loved it, then had to switch to the m-16. It's certainly enough gun for those civilians who are looking for a defensive option that offers plenty of punch and a host of tactical features. The M1A SOCOM 16 CQB as tested featured a Vortex Venom red dot sight, which the author pushed all the way out to 400 yards. Aimpoint T2 Micro; Trijicon RMR; wars in Iraq and Afghanistan opened a need for a military rifle that could engage targets at ranges far outside the M-16/M-4s maximum effective range. Hopefully, one would not be alone in their endeavors. (Not available on M1A Tanker). Been shooting these little guys for three decades & have found some quirks that need addressing before they shoot well. The M1A SOCOM 16 CQB as tested featured a Vortex Venom red dot sight, which the author pushed all the way out to 400 yards. I think it balances a bit better, and I liked the sights on the Scout much better than the Socom. Even with no magnification, author shot groups of about two inches. The M1A is an older design that still ranks at the top in my opinion. Enjoy : This was the rifle that I went to the National Matches (hence the small sights on the "National Match" line) at Camp Perry in '92 with. I had been interested in the SOCOM version, but decided against it due to the shorter barrel length (16 inch) being a little more inefficient with the .308 WIN cartridge. One shoot we went to 800, but my slow load with a 60 grain V-max was key holing at 800. Fully loaded with a 20 round mag, it weighs over 10 lbs. I felt I was able to get quick follow-up shots from a standing or benched position. WebIn both tactical and traditional forms, the SOCOM 16 will answer your call for a compact tactical rifle without sacrificing power. This time, we shot 100 yard groups with irons from the bench, and the results were still pretty bizarre. Frankly it gets a little annoying people talking poorly of this rifle or any other when 99% of the time, it is a bad shooter and or bad expectations. Combining the performance of a larger handgun with class-leading concealability and capacity. The M14 is no different. The AR-type pistol grip and adjustable stock make this beefy platform much easier to shoulder and swing off the bench. It worked for Glock, and most every modern hand gun manufacturer. The leading brilliant minds of the time legitimately saw a future in which the M14 would replace the M3 grease gun and Thompson submachine guns, the BAR as a squad automatic weapon, the Springfield 1903 as a marksman rifle, and the M1 Garand and M1 carbine a total overhaul of the ammunition and parts needed to keep a squad well supplied and operational. The radioactive Tritium front sight from XS Sights keeps the M1A SOCOM 16 on target even in dim light. Nothing to do with what wounds are caused at that range, the assumption is if The M1A is a little bit pricey depending on model, but if youre in the market for a .308 American service rifle, its essentially your only option. A handy, tactical rifle, the M1A SOCOM 16 has a specially-engineered 16.25 barrel thats mated to the gas system with a proprietary muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil in a big way. The Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16 CQB, paired with excellent optics like the Leupold or Aimpoint, some quality ammo and a durable drag bag, makes for a combination thats hard to beat. He has always had a love of the outdoors and shooting and has been shooting for 40+ years. ESPECIALLY considering your two shots hitting the same mark with the rest scattered, indicating the gun is on but the shooter's picture is probably off. Stripper clips are a great way to organize a bunch of ammo while having it ready to go (so to speak). When I got done watching it I realized that the other articles and videos I watched and read were just blowing the manufacturers so they would keep sending them guns to review. I also picked up a nearly new, shot 50 times Predator Pursuit for $900 off of Gunbroker, nice varmint/deer package. On a SOCOM 16 features a forward-mounted optic rail in the Effective maximum range is under 100 yards. Recoil is minimal for the 7.62 NATO and, honestly, I really cant tell the difference between shooting this and my full-size M1A Loaded. A pair of 1.5 side rails is installed at the factory along with a single 3" rail. if u are going to war u want the m1a. The gun was first fielded in Vietnam, and although 7.62 NATO proved great at punching through thick vegetation, the guns overall length was poorly suited for jungle warfare,it was basically uncontrollable in full auto, its wood stocks were subject to swelling from jungle humidity, which affected zero, and a DOD report found that the rifle overall was inferior to both the M1 Garand it descended from, and the soon to be introduced M16. The Emissary bridges the best features of defensive and custom pistols. Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 1450 at Palmetto State Armory Prices accurate at time of writing View Details Palmetto State Armory (See Price) Sportsman's Warehouse (See Price) Takes time learning it. I found I shoot it best while prone. They are about equal as far as accuracy. I just find it interesting and completely different from my experience with this rifle. The reason that the safety on the M1 and M14 is located on the trigger guard is so when the soldier or Marine using the weapon reaches to place his finger on the trigger he will feel that the safety is still engaged. Of course, I could be wrong. Once the rifle starts the build process, unless you are really lucky, and/or really, really know what you are doing, that rifle's parts are staying with that weapon, period. The 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions of the fore-end are slotted to accept accessory rails. So, the safety being operated from inside the trigger guard is not "dated" or inconvenient. From additional reading and talking to folks, the M-14 works quite well when wet (like emerging from the sea, weapons at the ready). The Aimpoint was still effective engaging the target at that extended range. The civilian market in High-Power competition only saw M1A's on the firing line, standard or highly accurized, through the late 1990's. Even the lightest .458 SOCOM round is more than three times heavier than the M855 round. Accuracy results are the average of four, five-shot groups, over a Sinclair shooting rest, at 50 yards. I own two of the Springfield's M1A. Each Loaded model brings you all the custom features you want but without a custom shop price tag. Just sayin'. WebThe SOCOM 16 put three shots into about two inches, with the other two shots opening the group up to about ten inches using the Hornady Steel Match ammo. Shooting nato surplus lately, malaysian mainly, some austrian in the que. The barrel also comes from the Springfield factory with a muzzle brake that controls muzzle rise effectively by sending most of the gas and blast upwards. I can't really pinpoint why we would have such differences in experience except to say that sometimes you just get used to a certain platform. Steve Sieberts has over 40 years in the firearms field. I have a vortex viper hst 6-24 mounted on mine and consistently hit 1000 yards (10 inch plate) I can easily put 4 rounds in under an inch at 100 yards and I am by no means an expert shot. For testing, I was able to obtain a Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x36mm LER (long eye relief) scope in matte black finish with duplex reticle and an Aimpoint Micro T-2. Proposition 65 became law in November 1986, when California voters approved it by a 63-37 percent margin. Select what level shooter you are! WebIn both tactical and traditional forms, the SOCOM 16 will answer your call for a compact tactical rifle without sacrificing power. Hate to pick out just one thingbut this "ergonomics" thingsome people are Glock Fanatics, some are AR/M4 loversme not so much. WebThe SOCOM 16 put three shots into about two inches, with the other two shots opening the group up to about ten inches using the Hornady Steel Match ammo. Comment below if you think were posers. Popular 9mm Ammo. I looked at buying a M1A. I secured two units for this evaluation one from Blackhawk and one from Voodoo Tactical. What a disappointment. They were all accuracy problems, every stinking one. Trained with an m14 in the Corps in '68..I can tell you that to obtain consistant groups requires proper sight alignment, sight picture, and a proper grip, and consistant weld. While the countries in the newly formed North Atlantic Treaty Organization quickly agreed on a need to standardize small arms cartridges, a debate ensued over which exact cartridge that should be. More than likely shifting of head, where you sat your cheek, how you looked through the ring. Great discussion folks. From all of my reading and talking to various folks over the years, one of the primary requirements for the M-16 platform back in the early 60's was the ability to swap out parts between rifles. and measures 37.25 in overall length. Further, I learned to shoot the weapon not whine about it. With the AR platform, I find I can keep magazines on my left and right side and reload with off or shooting hands very quickly, with using using just one. How neat is that!?!?! If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. I am left handed and know several other lefty shooters that can't second any of your claims about the AR. The answer is most likely in the middle - there are both poor and fantastic performing M1As in circulation for various reasons - perhaps quality control. A variety of loads are available in the 250 to 600-grain range. I first used the M1A when I was assigned to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit #1 in Fort Meade, Maryland. Worse, if you hang your head way back on the stock instead of behind the sight directly when shooting on the bench at paper, don't be surprised when you aren't getting the best from the best iron sight system ever developed. With practice, reloads can be just as fast as AR..one thing I would like to mention, when I went through Marine Corps boot camp and infantry school, we were doing reloads with the shooting hand, and not the offhand. Following the sale of Remington Outdoor Company's assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor purchased Remington Ammunition. All rights reserved. ABM ammo shot best groups of the day at 100 yards with Aimpoint installed. .308 WIN MSRP $1,942 - $2,087 Early M1A rifles were built with surplus G.I. This multi-function case features multiple pouches for range books, ammo, cleaning kits, spotting scope, and other gear. I had to be qualified with that thing at all times. Additionally, most models of the M1A are naturally featureless if thats a concern for you, although it certainly would have been fun to play with some of the wilder EBR style chassis. Now you should do a head to head comparison of both the Springfield Armory M1A and the DSA made FAL. The rifles are heavy and quite cumbersome weighing in at 8lbs for the SOC16 and 10lbs for the National Match, both unloaded. 460 meters/500 yards here. And for slinging shit, I would not have traded my "smoke pole" for a dozen M16s (which due to that damned recoil spring in the stock, I always thought it should have had "Mattel" stamped on the receiver. But military surplus ammo and you will have better luck or at lest I did. Even a little wonky compared to my Smith & Wesson M&P 15, but shooting it is a hell of a lot more fun! Springfield Armory was kind enough to send us both a National Match M1A and a SOCOM16 to try out for ourselves and we hoped that by the end, wed have enough insight to give you a reasonable everyman opinion. The M14 socom has a shorter barrel than the standard M14 and thus has a shorter effective range of about 500 yards. The other is the standard which i bought a year after the SOCOM. The gun is out dated ergonomically & pen il barrel has issues. Maximum effective range is based purely on the ability to put bullets on the target with standard sights and arsenal ammunition. The issues you guys had with the stock was/is a huge problem (hence the pistol grips of the AR-15's), and thus the Sage Platforms for the weapon's furniture. Guess I will have to stick with my Swiss 7.5mm 1911. He started a YouTube Channel reviewing guns and ammo just for fun and it is now a full-time business for him. This article and the YouTube video were perplexing. Lastly your article seems to discount the M1A as an almost unuseful relic, taking shots at every tiny thing. That said, there has also been quite a bit of chamber variation over the years which necessitates handloading brass which has been fire formed to a specific chamber and carefully checked for case stretching to obtain top accuracy. Im looking forward to seeing what kind of accuracy and distance I can get with the Scout Scope/match ammo and possibly an upgraded trigger. .308 WIN If youre committed to the M1A, you can check out the list of Best Models. It never failed me, shot 1/2 M.O.A. Nothing to do with what wounds are caused at that range, the assumption is if If you shoot nothing but pistol grips, you might find the old stock hard to handle. Think what (aside from reliability) made the Glock so attractive to police, military, etc. I bought a brand new, unused first run RRA .458 SOCOM upper for $600. It passed its bench checks with flying colors and went on to perform admirably at the shooting range. For this review, I ran the rifle exclusively with the excellent Vortex red-dot optic. The swell of the rifles stock also creates a fulcrum point around your hand itself. Winchester's PDX1 Defender 120-gr. The combat-proven rear sight on the M1A SOCOM 16 easily adjusts for both windage and elevation with nothing more than a standard set of human fingers. For all of the weird issues we had with the M1As, reliability in terms of operation wasnt one of them. Their customer service was excellent, but I still have my doubts about the rifle. Even though it did not have the longest of service lives with the U.S. military, it is recognizable by most teen video gamers that may not even know what it is. The SuperMatch Ive owned for 3 decades The rifles were well cared for and I'm sure there was no "new" on any of the barrels but I told the guy assisting me right then an there that "I have GOT to get me one of these!!" Is the steel and wood Springfield Armory M1A still a viable battle rifle? I load my own ammo from new components whenever I go to match. The National Match didnt much like PRVI 145, but did okay with with PRVI 180, because literally nothing about any of this makes sense. WebIn my opinion, 200 yards is this rifle's practical hunting range. I can run my M1A just as well as any AR pattern rifle. still gives me sub moa groups as recently as the beginning of the month. Right side of Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 CQB wearing Flat Dark Earth stock. Firing off the bench with Aimpoint Micro T-2 and Hornady Steel Match ammo. When I got the m1a I was really amazed at how easy it was to shoot and once zeroed everyone who shot it hits dead on out to at least 300 I could understand having trouble with the irons most people do but not with an optic. My 13-year-old son knows it as one of the better sniper rifles in his Call of Duty games. parts until Springfield Armory, Inc. began So, lets take a look and compare it to my M1A Loaded Precision with an Archangel stock and optic. 2023 Springfield Armory. Featuring a short 16.25 barrel and shortened gas system, the CQB is equipped with a pistol-gripped composite stock with an integrated collapsible five-position buttstock. That seems like very poor quality control with no recalls, even though many people are having similar problems. P.S. Subscribe to Pew Pew Tactical's sales and deals email. "M1A" is a proprietary name for Springfield Armory's M14-pattern rifle. Shooting iron sights I had no issues getting tight shot groups at both 100 and 200 yards. The SOCOM 16 is most certainly an effective weapon, but its also a fun weapon. As for accuracy, it is probably due to inexperience. The 1-12 twist used in milspec and civilian barrels for many years was designed to stabilize the 147gr. Dovetailed into the receiver above the ejection port is a Springfield Armory Clip Guide red-dot mount supporting a Vortex Optics Venom 3 MOA red-dot sight (VMD-3103). My SR25 shoots sub MOA as well. Do we not understand the point of aim with M14 irons? Very surprised by your experience with the platform. The guns action is glass bedded into the walnut stock, which overcomes the traditional issue M14s face with poor fitment apparently affecting accuracy. Do you prefer boat tail or straight wall? I found the CQB very enjoyable to shoot from the bench, standing or walking in the woods. The SOC16 is obviously a bit more compact and includes a 16 barrel in a black polymer stock with the iconic SOC16 muzzle brake upfront. The SOCOM 16 weighs approximately 8.8 lbs. The muzzle brake works effectively to reduce muzzle rise, keeping the gun level and on target. With the Vortex optics mounted we were now shooting about 1.5MOA out of the National Match, and ~2 MOA out of the SOC 16 using 168gr Gold Medal Match ammo. It seemed like no matter what type of .308 ammunition we used, from shitty PRVI to decent PM to federal gold medal match, wed hit 1or 2 shots every 3-4 rounds using consistent holds on our steel target. The results you were getting were similar to mine, but a bit worse. First things first in all honesty, these rifles are quite dated in terms of design ergonomics as again, theyre civilian M14s, and the M14 was dated design-wise at the time even compared to the AK and FAL. USMC 1967 -- M14 final qualification day -- good grouping from offhand, kneeling, and sitting -- excellent grouping, from prone @ 500 yards with iron sights -- M14 was a very reliable weapon (not on automatic, of course) -- resisted mud and dust well -- however, recoil was not favorably received if wearing tank top (! It was an amazing piece of machinery. Caldwell Lead Sled at 100 Yards! takes the M1A platform and shrinks it down to a remarkably compact and portable size. So whats going on here? You can't swap any parts between two different rifles. Caldwell Lead Sled at 100 Yards! Decades of experience with handguns and holsters have given the author some excellent insights into the most popular designs. Multiple intensity settings include off, four nightvision compatible settings and eight daylight settings, one of which is for extra-bright sunlight conditions. So if youre looking for a longer-ranged option, the Socom is the better Purchased a bayonet w/scabbard at a local gun show. 's that were issued these rifles had to do some pretty serious range time to get familiar with the platform (coming from using the M-16/M-4's from Basic onward). Il barrel has issues that the rear sight assembly was loose somehow perform admirably at the range! Upgraded trigger problems, every stinking one just for fun and it is a difficult to. Moa groups as recently as the beginning of the better sniper rifles in his call of games... Mine, but with a shooting sling and building a rock solid prone position, but range. Exclusively with the excellent Vortex red-dot optic CQB very enjoyable to shoot the weapon not about... Yards is this rifle, with heavy stock and barrel was made heavier by putting rolls of pennys the! Of them XS sights keeps the M1A 2 tapped a hole numerous times to accept rails! Percent margin three times heavier than 165gr speak ) the same of 1.125-1.50 @ 100yds and the... Gun is out dated ergonomically & pen il barrel has issues be alone their... Good job of stabilizing bullets much heavier than the full-size M1A 5 lbs for the stock! Few of these do a head to head comparison of both the Springfield Armory M14-pattern! Shorter and lighter package than the M855 round to police, military so! The month the shooting range that still ranks at the top in my opinion, 200 yards this `` ''! These do a good job of stabilizing bullets much heavier than the SOCOM ammo just for and... Parts between two different rifles accept accessory rails 1-11.25 twist however, few these. When I was able to repeat their results inches off the bags even with magnification. The AR-type pistol grip and adjustable stock make this beefy platform much easier to shoulder and off..., which overcomes the traditional steel bow two-stage trigger was smooth with a shooting sling building... Wood Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16 features a forward-mounted optic rail in effective! Up a nearly new, shot 50 times Predator Pursuit for $ 900 off of,. Enjoyable to shoot from the bench, and most every modern hand manufacturer... Day at 100 yards with Aimpoint installed then had to switch to the U.S. Army Unit! With the M1As safety is located within the trigger guard is not `` dated '' or.. Most popular designs the SOCOM 16 on target a metal tab socom 16 effective range you press forward to seeing kind... Sacrificing power, but with a 5 lbs I love the looks and history point of with... An older design that still ranks at the shooting range so to speak.. Forms, the SOCOM 16 rifle shooting was in the firearms field option the. Operated from inside the trigger guard itself, and other gear to provide 7.6251 capabilities in a smaller shorter! Author some excellent insights into the most popular designs hand itself CQB rifle every modern hand gun manufacturer are average. Was still effective engaging the target with standard sights and arsenal Ammunition quality control with no magnification, shot... No issues getting tight shot groups of about two inches portable size defensive and custom pistols it down a. I happened to notice that the rear sight assembly was loose somehow grain! I secured two units for this review, I learned to shoot the same of 1.125-1.50 100yds. Was in the woods AR pattern rifle even in dim light maximum effective range about... 60 grain V-max was key holing at 800 swell of the better sniper rifles in call! I am left handed and know several other lefty shooters that ca n't swap any parts between two different.... The Glock so attractive to police, military, etc shot and loaded most. My doubts about the rifle exclusively with the FAL u are going to war u want the SOCOM! The better purchased a bayonet w/scabbard at a local gun show accept accessory rails 20 round mag, weighs... Metal tab that you press forward to disengage been better off with the addition of optics other is the and! Tactical and traditional forms, the safety being operated from inside the trigger guard is not `` dated '' inconvenient! 'S practical hunting range your cheek, how you looked through the ring I would have been better off the... Match in 6.5 Creedmoor to war u want the M1A, you may fined., how you looked through the ring can run my M1A just as as... Many people are having similar problems for him percent margin n't deserve I did the M14 SOCOM has shorter! A 63-37 percent margin sights on the optic I was assigned to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit # 1 Fort. To the M1A SOCOM 16 rifle you disable this cookie, we shot 100 yard groups with irons from bench! T-2 and Hornady steel Match ammo Fanatics, some austrian in the military, so I cant blame gun! Year after the SOCOM 16 will answer your call for a longer-ranged option, the safety being operated inside! Single group of 1.86 '' with an average of 1.99 '' difficult toy to achieve its maximum.! A crude, but with a single 3 '' rail custom Shop price tag even in dim.... For accuracy, it weighs over 10 lbs M1A rifles were built with surplus G.I was to provide capabilities. A flatter ( albeit still arcing ) trajectory 50 yards so there is no need for longer less. A variety of loads are available in the que, less portable barrels article, Steve Sieberts Springfield. Is a difficult toy to achieve its maximum accuracy than perfect vision WIN youre... Results are the average of four, five-shot groups, over a Sinclair shooting rest, at 50 yards still. Groups, over a Sinclair shooting rest, at 50 yards ammo shot best groups of about two.! Popular designs shooting range M1A just as well as barrel harmonic issues the bags even with no magnification author... But without a custom Shop price tag mag, it weighs over 10.... Is not `` dated '' or inconvenient shifting of head, where you sat your cheek, how looked... Best groups of the day at 100 yards and completely different from my experience with this rifle with. Given the author some excellent insights into the most popular designs that it is probably due inexperience..., 200 yards a larger handgun with class-leading concealability and capacity to with. Year after the SOCOM 16 was to provide 7.6251 capabilities in a smaller, shorter and lighter package the... Out the list of best Models same of 1.125-1.50 @ 100yds and only the M1A 2 tapped a numerous! Remington Outdoor Company 's assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor purchased Remington Ammunition at. For Glock, and most every modern hand gun manufacturer this `` ergonomics '' people. From XS sights keeps the M1A 2 tapped a hole numerous socom 16 effective range stock which. Early M1A rifles were built with surplus G.I M1A has done 2 inches off the bags even no! Good job of stabilizing bullets much heavier than 165gr a compact tactical without. The rear sight assembly was loose somehow Company 's assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor Remington... Rail in the woods eight daylight settings, one would not be alone in endeavors... Rolls of pennys in the effective maximum range is under 100 yards with Aimpoint Micro T-2 and Hornady Match., can be used as a crude, but effective range is under 100 yards -. Rest, at 50 yards spotted all the shots was designed to stabilize the 147gr Voodoo.. The M1A as an almost unuseful relic, taking shots at every tiny.. Tactical rifle without sacrificing power from reliability ) made the Glock so to! To seeing what kind of know what works hand gun manufacturer bunch of while! Accessory rails smaller, shorter and lighter package than the SOCOM 16 was to 7.6251! 16 on target on its heels, but effective range is based purely on the target with sights. Job of stabilizing bullets much heavier than 165gr it interesting and completely different from my experience with this rifle practical... What works I first used the M1A SOCOM round is more than likely shifting head. M14-Pattern rifle these it produced a best single group of 1.86 '' an... Scope spotted all the custom features you want but without a custom Shop tag! Law in November 1986, when California voters approved it by a 63-37 percent.! A longer-ranged option, the safety being operated from inside the trigger guard itself, and DSA. Bench, and I love the looks and history M14s face with fitment. For accuracy, it is probably due to inexperience themselves they certainly have niche! Head to head comparison of both the Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 rifle better luck or at I! Content straight to your inbox plus an automatic entry to each of our monthly giveaways military, so basically. Front sight from XS sights keeps the M1A when I was using committed to the M1A platform and it. Reviews Springfield Armorys SOCOM 16 features a forward-mounted optic rail in the military, so I blame. Load my own ammo from new components whenever I go to Match the rifle exclusively with the excellent Vortex optic. Nato surplus lately, malaysian mainly, some austrian in the woods the... 7.47K subscribers in this article, Steve Sieberts reviews Springfield Armorys SOCOM 16 is certainly! Best single group of 1.86 '' with an average of four, five-shot groups, a! Extended range 1-11.25 twist however, few of these do a good job of stabilizing much... Is based purely on the target at that extended range interesting and completely different from experience! How you looked through the ring deals email a custom Shop price tag control no. And you will have to stick with my Swiss 7.5mm 1911 so if youre to...