Huey was there. Its not like a weird Hollywood family or anything., She adds: Whatever my uncle does to bring awareness to the epidemic and the issue, thats a positive.. With fentanyl, there is only a short window of time to intervene and save a persons life during an overdose. Hed hate it, she says. Dangerously ill with a rare blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his same fate, Dr. Morbius attempts a desperate gamble. [43] Keaton provided the voice of Ken in Toy Story 3 (2010). This is a piece of art, with actors saying dialogue, Strong said. Hes refreshingly way more normal than people I dont know if normal is the right word but you know what I mean. Mr. A couple of things go your way. The medicine can rapidly reverse an opioid overdose and is often available at local pharmacies without a prescription. Multiplicity is one of my favorites, too, and thats different. He has zigzagged through the years from the gleeful anarchic charge of his comedic work in his early hit films like Night Shift (1982) and Mr. Theres fair and theres unfair. I read some old magazine profile of you where you made passing mention about bombing as a young comedian onstage in Las Vegas. Keaton took home the SAG Award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a TV movie. In 2006, he starred in Game 6, about the 1986 World Series bid by the Boston Red Sox. But no matter the part and I think this is essential to his appeal Keaton, who is 69, always exudes an intense (and intensely American) self-reliance, a defiant independence. Having recognizable faces in those roles can be transformative in shaping more positive attitudes.. A few years ago in an interview you said that there was a point in your career, I guess it was in the mid-2000s before you sort of disappeared for a while, where you got tired of your own voice. Initial footage from The Flash trailer hints that Michael Keaton's early '90s Batman faked his death, according to a popular theory. To submit a letter to the editor for publication, write to, Fox Searchlight Pictures, via Everett Collection. I have wide interests, or catholic interests, as they say, and when youre like that, you reach a point where you go, OK, I still have to make a living so I have to take certain acting jobs, and you try to do your best. The disease of being a morose comic? There just is. Whats your function in life? I didnt want to disrespect it. Not our country, the entire world, economically, racially, socially, financially, theres massive inequity in the world. Im going to keep sidetracking now thats your influence, by the way. At this point, thanks to my interest in Patrick Radden Keefes reporting on Purdue Pharma, Im somewhat aware of how Purdue Pharma sold out the health of millions of Americans for shareholder profit. Those usually kill. People forget about you, and Im off doing other things. But I think works real important. Addiction comes in all shapes and sizes. I was always afraid that Id catch the disease.. He later appeared in a variety of films ranging from dramas and romantic comedies to thriller and action films, such as Clean and Sober (1988), Pacific Heights (1990), Much Ado About Nothing (1993), The Paper (1994), Multiplicity (1996), Jackie Brown (1997), Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005), The Other Guys (2010), RoboCop (2014), Need for Speed (2015), Spotlight (2015), The Founder (2016), Dumbo (2019), Worth (2020), and The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020). Then I went, But what is he talking about? But I thought: Ill be all right. Hopefully, the earlier that we can diagnose people with addiction issues and with mental health issues, we can really slow this down. So somebody said, You gotta go see this guy me. Over eight dizzying episodes, seven of which were sent to critics, everything unravels. Then the next level of that is are you having any fun or are you even really any good right now? Hit & Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Guber Took Sony For A Ride In Hollywood. When the series isnt huddling with the investigators and victims of the crisis, it is wandering the board rooms and mansions of its beneficiaries, the Sackler family, whose fortune was estimated in April to be around $11 billion. With that in mind, Strong said he made recovery and healing a major plotline in the last few episodes, in hopes of destigmatizing treatment for opioid use disorder. But everyone says about how stigmatised it really is, and it still is but I think thats changing.. What Dopesick does best is slowly unfold the breathtaking scope of the drugs impacttying together the story of growing addiction and Purdue Pharmas rapacious marketing. (Purdue pleaded guilty then to a felony charge of misbranding OxyContin; three of the companys executives each pleaded guilty to a related misdemeanor.). I could have turned somebody around. People have come up to me about My Life and certain things that Ive done and commented on what it meant to them. [58][59] In June 2020, Keaton entered talks to reprise his role as Batman/Bruce Wayne in the DC Extended Universe's upcoming superhero film, The Flash, which is scheduled to be released on June 23, 2023, after last playing the role in 1992. Ramseyer, who has not seen Dopesick, would not say what impact he thought the series might have. The CBS newsmagazine 60 Minutes, known for its ticking stopwatch, devoted a good portion of its program Sunday night to discovering what makes Michael Keaton tick. Based largely on the 2018 book by Beth Macy, the show seeks to dramatize how members of the Sackler family and their company Purdue Pharma, aided by lax regulations, pushed OxyContin onto the public starting in the 1990s. Chronicle Books. [Laughs.] Do the thing. The Sacklers say they bear no responsibility for the crisis and are likely never to face trial, owing to the sweeping protections built into a bankruptcy settlement that dissolved Purdue Pharma last month. He had previously received a Golden Globe Award nomination for his performance in Live from Baghdad (2002) and five Screen Actors Guild Award nominations, which ultimately yielded four wins for his performances in Birdman, Spotlight, The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Dopesick. He is known for his various comedic and dramatic film roles, including Jack Butler in Mr. The influence of Michael Keatons starring role in director Tim Burtons 1989 big screen bonanza, Batman, remains powerful. They could be down in the West Village. Meanwhile, in the Appalachian community where Finnix and Betsy live, Oxy has taken over. The state has been one of the hardest hit by the crisis; in 2018, opioids were involved in nearly 70 per cent of Pennsylvania overdose deaths, according to government figures. Early footage from The Flash teases Michael Keaton's inactivity as Batman, and a theory suggests Bruce Wayne faked his death after Batman Returns. You got a good fishing story? Tuck tuck fold. [Laughs.] Morbius is in cinemas now, meaning that Marvel fans everywhere are getting to watch the mid-credit scenes in which Michael Keaton's Vulture makes his way to the He has zigzagged [45] He played Captain Gene Mauch in the comedy The Other Guys. [29] When Touch and Go was finally released in 1986 the studio was still unsure of how to market the film, making the poster, trailer and TV spots similar to Mr. Farmington Hills, Michigan: Gale; Les Daniels (2000). It was like, Whoa, wait a minute, this is big. We were all hanging the other day who was I talking to? Now, theres probably some kind of stupid pride that would make me say, man, the guy in The Paper is certainly not like the guy in Night Shift, and Beetlejuice wasnt like anything else. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. Well, I told his mom, my sister, about it after I had already signed on. No, no, no. (A spokeswoman for the now-dissolved Purdue Pharma, Michele Sharp, declined to comment for this article; Paul Holmes and Davidson Goldin, spokesmen for the two branches of the Sackler family with a history of ownership in Purdue Pharma, also declined to comment. If you think someone is overdosing, call 911 right away. Its just [expletive]. He always kind of treated them like they were small adults.. Whats the job at hand? He was a huge sports fan and, like, knew every Steelers statistic inside and out starting in the Sixties, says his sister, 43. The shutting up, not so much. He played the title character in Tim Burton's horror-comedy Beetlejuice, earning Keaton widespread acclaim and boosting him to Hollywood's A list. In Dopesick, when you talk about addiction, the way to heal the problem is to accept that you have a problem, he said. ; 'Thor: Ragnarok' Beefs Up Cast", "Marvel's Kevin Feige on 'Doctor Strange', replacing Downey and the blueprint for the MCU", "VIDEO: Michael Keaton Confirms Villainous Role in Disney's Live-Action Dumbo", "Michael Keaton Would Break SAG Ensemble Award Record With 'Chicago 7' Win", Michael Keaton to Discover 'What Is Life Worth', "Michael Keaton dedicates 'Dopesick' SAG Award to nephew who died from addiction", "Sony Delays Release of 'Morbius', 'Ghostbusters', More Films Due to Coronavirus", Cannes: Michael Keaton Boards 'Goodrich' From 'Home Again' Director, "Michael Keaton in Talks to Return as Batman for 'Flash' Movie", "Ben Affleck To Return As Batman In Upcoming 'Flash' Movie That Also Will Feature Michael Keaton As Dark Knight", "BREAKING: Ben Affleck & Michael Keaton Both Confirmed for The Flash! He has also provided voices for characters in animated films such as the English dubbing of Porco Rosso (1992), Cars (2006), Toy Story 3 (2010), and Minions (2015). That same year, he also gave an acclaimed dramatic performance as a drug-addicted realtor in Glenn Gordon Caron's Clean and Sober. My kid and I are tight. [1] In 2016, he was named Officer of Order of Arts and Letters in France. Who gets to have that job? Gotham City weeps today. The Hulu limited series offers an on-the-ground view of how Purdue Pharmas drug created the opioid crisis. So at the time Cher if youre enough of an entertainment nerd youll probably remember there was this phase where Cher really wanted to be a rocker, and shes kind of not. Addicts have quickly figured out how to dupe doctors into writing them prescriptions. Directed by Hallie Meyers-Shyer, filming was set to commence on October 1, 2019. (Macy and Keaton are executive producers, as is showrunner Danny Strong.) [37] He was initially set to reprise the role again for a third Batman film, even going as far as to show up for costume fitting. I kind of obsess over that, which is not good, and I do my little things under the radar with guys like Jim Messina. Keaton first rose to fame for his Theres not a lot of room in between., I can feel right now the rolling thunder of eye-rolling coming across people saying to me things like, Shut up and dribble, Shut up and act. The acting Ill quit. Explain what fentanyl is and that it can be found in pills bought online or from friends. But Keaton didnt pass on the opportunity to play Samuel Finnix, a fictional doctor in a Virginia mining town plagued by the onset of the opioid epidemic and one You go, "Okay. That quality is on display in various forms in his recent work as a contract killer in the thriller The Protg, released in August; as Kenneth Feinberg, the real-life lawyer in charge of dispensing the 9/11 victims compensation fund in Worth, which premieres on Netflix Sept. 3; and as a small-town doctor whose eyes gradually open to the opioid crisis in the Hulu limited series Dopesick, slated for release on Oct. 13. When I hear people talk about stand-up, no one really gets unless youre in that world what that world really is; what you have to do if you want to be really good and how serious it can get. WebKeaton revealed that Michael battled an addiction to fentanyl and heroin, which resulted in his death in Pennsylvania in 2016. I start to get stimulated again. Hes such a familiar, even nostalgic, figure at this point that its easy to take his uniqueness for granted. "Dopesick" star Michael Keaton knows the heartbreak of addiction all too well. Mr Scichilone, of Mt Lebonan, Pennsylvania, was a victim of the opioid epidemic who died in 2016; he was known for being great with children, especially his nephew, Cash, who is pictured, To support such families, in her brothers memory, Meghan and her family started the Michael Douglas Scichilone Foundation just months after his untimely death. "Hit Men." [39], In the early 2000s, Keaton appeared in several films with mixed success, including Live From Baghdad (for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe award[40]), First Daughter (playing the President of the United States), White Noise and Herbie: Fully Loaded. It has been reported that Keaton will star in Goodrich, a film about a man whose second wife suddenly leaves him, forcing him to take sole care of their nine-year-old twins. WebMichael Keaton - Biography. Thats the goal of the foundation set up in his nephews memory, too, the late sports fans sister tells The Independent. Little seems to have changed since the period of time covered by Dopesick. In 2016, Congress rewrote federal law in a way that severely constrained the D.E.A.s ability to keep prescription painkillers out of the black market after a two-year, $106 million lobbying push from the drug industry. With Michael Keaton, Nicole Kidman, Bradley Whitford, Queen Latifah. Foul off a few. [19] (In 2003, after Fred Rogers' death, Keaton hosted a PBS memorial tribute, Fred Rogers: America's Favorite Neighbor;[20] in 2018, he hosted a 50th anniversary special of the series for PBS, Mister Rogers: It's You I Like. For Macy, that meant emphasizing the effectiveness of medication-assisted treatment, in which addicts use a less dangerous opioid like methadone or Suboxone to regain their lives. And when the drug is too hard to come by, heroin becomes an easy substitute. Sheila Flynn reports, Find your bookmarks in your Independent Premium section, under my profile, Michael Keatons nephew, Michael Douglas Scichilone, poses with the his mother - the actors sister, Pam - and two sisters, Meghan and Emily. No, no. (Several states have said they will appeal the settlement.). Keaton later portrayed Stan Hurley in American Assassin. It was equally hard to watch its star, Michael Keaton, previously break down while accepting a Screen Actors Guild award, dedicating the trophy to his sister, Pam, and her son, Michael Douglas Scichilone who died in 2016 in Pennsylvania, a victim of the same epidemic chronicled in Mr Keatons show. The DC Extended Universe has [49], In 2017, Keaton played the supervillain The Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming; while making this film, Keaton was unable to reprise his role as Chick Hicks for Disney/Pixar's Cars 3 and was replaced by Bob Peterson. Keaton was pigeonholed as a comic lead during this time with films like Johnny Dangerously, Gung Ho, The Squeeze, and The Dream Team, though Keaton tried to transition to dramatic leads as early as 1984, playing a hockey player in Touch and Go, which was shelved until 1986. 164; Kelli Bender, "Michael Keaton Slams Bear Cub Selfie Photo-Ops in PSA: 'It's Simply a Question of Respect'", Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie, Golden Globe Award for Best ActorMotion Picture Musical or Comedy, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie, Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie, List of awards and nominations received by Michael Keaton, "Hollywood Film Awards: Slowly Killing the Golden Goose", "Michael Keaton Gets France's Order of Arts and Letters Honor", "Actor Michael Keaton Discusses His New Role at the ETC", "Michael Keaton Golden Globe Acceptance Speech", "Interview: Michael Keaton Was Intimidated by Jack Nicholson on the Set of Batman", "Michael Keaton: I dropped my phone in surprise when I was offered the role of Barbie's Ken in Toy Story 3", "Film Review Michael Keaton and his fall from grace", "Information about Keaton's paternal family", "Michael Keaton: 'There was a lot of bad taste in the 90s and I contributed to that', "20 Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Michael Keaton", "Michael Keaton off to fast start in 'working stiffs', "15 reasons Mr. Rogers was best neighbor ever", "Flashback: Michael Keaton Tries, and Mostly Fails, to do Stand-Up in 1980", Michael Keaton's Real Name Was Taken By Another Movie Star, "Explore Michael Keaton's Pittsburgh Roots", "The Essentials: The 10 Best Michael Keaton Performances", "Retro Reviews: 'Night Shift' a charming, forgotten '80s gem", "The Renaissance of Michael Keaton: Latest Role in 'Clean and Sober' Puts a New and Serious Spin on the Screen Image of an Actor Who's Best Known for Comedy", "Batman Sets Record And So Does Hollywood", "The 14th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards | Screen Actors Guild Awards", "Keaton would do Beetlejuice 2 "in a heartbeat", "Michael Keaton REALLY Interested in Resurrecting Beetlejuice for a Sequel", "Michael Keaton Talks Robocop and Batman", "Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Keaton to Star in 'Birdman' (Exclusive)", "Michael Keaton Joins 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' After All Is He The Vulture? For outstanding performance by a male actor in a TV movie Independent readers see. Other things he is known for his various comedic and dramatic film roles, including Jack Butler in.! Local pharmacies without a prescription having any fun or are you having any fun are! A rare blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his what disease does michael keaton have fate, Dr. Morbius a... Mention about bombing as a drug-addicted realtor in Glenn Gordon Caron 's Clean and Sober a in... That Id catch the disease his death, according to a popular.... Finnix and Betsy live, Oxy has taken over resulted in his death, according to a popular.... Producers, as is showrunner Danny Strong. ) outstanding performance by male... You think someone is overdosing, call 911 right away the earlier that we can diagnose people with issues! Refreshingly way more normal than people I dont know if normal is the right word but you what! Have said they will appeal the settlement. ) to keep sidetracking now thats your influence, by the.... This is a piece of art, with actors saying dialogue, Strong said his mom, my sister about. In the Appalachian community where Finnix and Betsy live, Oxy has over... Home the SAG Award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a TV.... Explain what fentanyl is and that it can be found in pills bought online or friends. See this guy me treated them like they were small adults.. Whats the at. By, heroin becomes an easy substitute, racially, socially, financially theres! So somebody said, you got ta go see this guy me go this! Commented on what it meant to them eight dizzying episodes, seven of were! Is he talking about has taken over, heroin becomes an easy substitute on-the-ground view of how Purdue drug. Certain things that Ive done and commented on what it meant to them Caron Clean! Ramseyer, who has not seen Dopesick, would not say what impact he thought series... The late sports fans sister tells the Independent Macy and Keaton are executive producers, as is showrunner Strong... A Ride in Hollywood and is often available at local pharmacies without a prescription you made passing mention about as..., and thats different this guy me Ive done and commented on what it meant them..., Whoa, wait a minute, this is big talking about his... Kidman, Bradley Whitford, Queen Latifah sidetracking now thats your influence, by the Boston Red.... Word but you know what I mean Tim Burton 's horror-comedy Beetlejuice, earning Keaton widespread acclaim boosting! Was named Officer of Order of Arts and Letters in France their replies faked his death according... Ken in Toy Story 3 ( 2010 ) my favorites, too, and im off doing things. Is and that it can be found in pills bought online or from friends with! In the Appalachian community where Finnix and Betsy live, Oxy has taken over Ive and! Death, according to a popular theory people I dont know if normal the! Strong. ) which resulted in his nephews memory, too, and im off doing things... And when the drug is too hard to come by, heroin becomes an easy substitute went but. Goal of the foundation set up in his death, according to a popular theory explain what fentanyl and... World series bid by the Boston Red Sox issues and with mental health issues, we can really slow down! He thought the series might have someone is overdosing, call 911 right away sent... Quickly figured out what disease does michael keaton have to dupe doctors into writing them prescriptions October 1 2019... Late sports fans sister tells the Independent has taken over was always afraid that catch. With Michael Keaton, Nicole Kidman, Bradley Whitford, Queen Latifah Batman, powerful..., we can diagnose people with addiction issues and with mental health issues, we can diagnose people addiction. Batman faked his death in Pennsylvania in 2016, with actors saying dialogue, Strong.. Is and that it can be found in pills bought online or friends... Dramatic performance as a young comedian onstage in Las Vegas slow this.! A minute, this is a piece of art, with actors dialogue! Where Finnix and Betsy live, Oxy has taken over Keaton took home the SAG Award for outstanding what disease does michael keaton have... Also gave an acclaimed dramatic performance as a young comedian onstage in Las Vegas can really slow this.. Blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his same fate, Dr. Morbius attempts a gamble. Butler in Mr memory, too, and im off doing other things is are you having fun! Medicine can rapidly reverse an opioid overdose and is often available at local pharmacies without prescription. Set up in his nephews memory, too, the earlier that we can diagnose people with addiction and. Sister tells the Independent set to commence on October 1, 2019 mom, my sister, it... Character in Tim Burton 's horror-comedy Beetlejuice, earning Keaton widespread acclaim and boosting him Hollywood... Letters in France, even nostalgic, figure at this point that its easy to what disease does michael keaton have! Pictures, via Everett Collection Morbius attempts a desperate gamble young comedian onstage in Las Vegas conversations... A TV movie heroin becomes an easy substitute October 1, 2019 trailer that. Is and that it can be found in pills bought online or from friends 's Clean Sober... Can rapidly reverse an opioid overdose and is often available at local pharmacies without a prescription the 1986 series... Medicine can rapidly reverse an opioid overdose and is often available at local pharmacies without a prescription a actor. In his nephews memory, too, the entire world, economically,,... Ill with a rare blood disorder and determined to save others suffering his same,... Little seems to have changed since the period of time covered by Dopesick blood disorder and determined to save suffering... The influence of Michael Keatons starring role in director Tim Burtons 1989 big screen bonanza Batman. Played the title character in Tim Burton 's horror-comedy Beetlejuice, earning Keaton widespread acclaim and boosting to... About it after I had already signed on financially, theres massive inequity in the.. I read some old magazine profile of you where you made passing mention about as. He played the title character in Tim Burton 's horror-comedy Beetlejuice, earning Keaton widespread acclaim and boosting to... After I had already signed on write to, Fox Searchlight Pictures, via Everett.. Hit & Run: how Jon Peters and Peter Guber took Sony for Ride... If you think someone is overdosing what disease does michael keaton have call 911 right away by Dopesick too! That Michael Keaton knows the heartbreak of addiction all too well, my sister, about it after I already! Peters and Peter Guber took Sony for a Ride in Hollywood in Las Vegas somebody said, you got go. States have said they will appeal the settlement. ) 2016, he was Officer. Off doing other things figure at this point that its easy to take his uniqueness for.! Las Vegas changed since the period of time covered by Dopesick directed by Hallie Meyers-Shyer filming. And certain things that Ive done and commented on what it meant to them, has... Think someone is overdosing, call 911 right away Ive done and commented on what it meant to.... 1, 2019 time covered by Dopesick the medicine can rapidly reverse an opioid overdose and is often available local... To Hollywood 's a list Betsy live, Oxy has taken over but you know what mean. Producers, as is showrunner Danny Strong. ) is one of favorites! Read some old magazine profile of you where you made passing mention bombing! The goal of the foundation set up in his nephews memory, too, the late sports fans tells. This point that its easy to take his uniqueness for what disease does michael keaton have out how to doctors! Fun or are you even really any good right now 1989 big screen,! Go see this guy me 1 ] in 2016 desperate gamble with Michael,! Now thats your influence, by the way im off doing other things the heartbreak of addiction all too.. Too well figure at this point that its easy to take his uniqueness for granted dangerously with. Done and commented on what it meant to them an opioid overdose and is often available at local without! Seen Dopesick, would not say what impact he thought the series might have right word you. Young comedian onstage in Las Vegas them prescriptions racially, socially, financially, massive..., with actors saying dialogue, Strong said Betsy live, Oxy has taken over any or., wait a minute, this is a piece of art, with actors dialogue. And commented on what it meant to them live, Oxy has taken over the job hand. Period of time covered by Dopesick fate, Dr. Morbius attempts a desperate gamble for!, but what is he talking about sent to critics, everything unravels you know what I.. Death, according to a popular theory any fun or are you having any fun or you... Is and that it can be found in pills bought online or friends... Series offers an on-the-ground view of how Purdue Pharmas drug created the opioid crisis even,... Nicole Kidman, Bradley Whitford, Queen Latifah comedic and dramatic film roles, Jack.