Miss Lambe gasped. Ellen, I meant to reply earlier to your excellent comments. This is not how Jane would have ended things. The show can be watched on PBA stations in the US and have a total of eight episodes available. Excellent reading! (Thanks, Robert Rodi for the title, which I borrowed from your book.). As to the ending, i wouldnt have minded if she didnt end up with Sidney. Miss Georgiana Lambe (played by Crystal Clarke) is a wealthy heiress from the West Indies who is most certainly not afraid to speak her mind and make her opinions known. I aspire to perfectioning my tongue in cheek reviews! The camera pans to Sanditon House. We discovered she had a secret love called Otis who was a good man but flawed because. I dont think there should be another season.Just leave it ,ragged, and unfinished. Charlotte and Sidney soldier on, exchanging polite conversation. If there *is* a season 2, I will go into with lowered expectations for what this story should look/feel/sound/be like and Id try to actually enjoy it. I am more concerned with the Miss Lambe storyline. If Jane could have seen this pathetic ending she would have hired a hit man to take out Andrew Davies. Charlotte folds in on herself like a wet noodle. The actors did an amazing job. Thank you for visiting this blog. And remember, in the first episode, Charlotte actually said, I dont want to marry. Why should she? How could Sidney have done this? I went into this looking at it as Austen inspired Davies drama with extremely low expectation and I still feel let down by the ending. There are 2 good dvd versions of P&P, the BBC miniseries with Elizabeth Garvie and the 1995 BBC version with Jennifer Ehle. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your analysis! Really!!?? The dancing continues, with Lord Babb and Esther, Arthur and Georgiana, and the rest of the assembled guests having great fun. The writers gave her a talent in organizing events. Ha! Click on this link. I cant believe it! You expressed yourself beautifully and I like your take on this series. Miss Lambe will be the guest of honour wherever she goes. Now, gentle reader, its your turn to vent, either in the comment section or in this poll. The current ending is too reminiscent of Mariannes situation with Willoughby in Sense and Sensibility. Shes so delighted with the newsso pleased for himso gushingthat he must be disappointed with that overenthusiastic reaction. ? I did not know that a 2nd season might be in the works, so I thought that really was the end. This! Take your pick. Sidney quickly answers, Shed be delighted.. Or is it that none of our young men have taken your fancy? She turns to Sidney: What do you say, Mr. Parker?. Willoughby is said to be a man resembling the hero of a favourite story', just as Sidney is handsome and sexy. Bleh. He hies back to Sanditon several weeks after his departure, causing ulcers and sleepless nights for kith and kin. James Stringer is aghast at the loss of his father, and he recalls his angry last words with profound regret. Literally finished watching season one and instantly hunted down the petition to beg for season 2. Esther feigns boredom, but Lord Babb urges the horses on. So, for my part I rewatched Episode 8 for a third time through and the BBC version (which is not clipped) and I loved it. At the beginning of the finale, there appears to be a clear path to happiness for our heroine as a marriage proposal from Sidney (Theo James) to Charlotte (Rose Williams) seems imminent. We just dont want to let go of the delightful, charming and exciting characters we have grown to love. Sidney Parker essentially sold himself out to a past love?!?! I think they could have been very good friends. I have the complete works of Jane Austen as books, and one or two DVDs of each of the movies or TV versions. Charlotte/Sidney is boring by comparison. Thats it? J. (Although that sounds awful when I reread it but I think you know what I mean.). CONTAINS SPOILERS. Esther and Edward realize that Clara poses a significant threat to their ambitions. I kept waiting for the scene where Mary (who knew how Charlotte & Sidney felt, even if totally oblivious Tom didnt see it) dressed Tom down, insisting that he find the money elsewhere and, oh yeah, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for his actions for once. He gave only surface treatment to the serious topic of hypochondria that Austen had set up with three of the five Parker siblings, and eliminated Susan altogether, while introducing characters not mentioned or hinted at by Austen. Everything has changed. Well done you, Lord Babb. Most galling, to me, was the final scene. Sidneys words turn Charlotte into a boneless mass of compliance. Like you, I found the death of Stringer Senior contrived, but it did not endear the young man to me. Wed have to watch it, and it wouldnt be any better than this season, which was quite painful. Sanditon introduces a delicious cast of supporting characters, including Miss Georgiana Lambe (Crystal Clarke), the first significant person of color in an Austen work, and Miss Lambe's. In this instance, the viewer is treated to the morning after the wedding night, when we see that Esther is not disappointed. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. What did TOM do to rectify the situation he put himself in? At the end of my, er, analysis, well finish with a poll to measure our collective satisfaction quotient. Davies went overboard in modernizing and sexing up Janes wonderful characters. Maybe hell come home paralyzed for life (which will last exactly one episode) before finding Eliza in bed with another man. As outsiders, both Lockhart . If Jane Austen had moments of regret they only motivated her to give her heroines the ending they deserved and we, her devoted readers continue to applaud! WellI had problems with the Sidney/Charlotte relationship, anyway. Lord Babb had more personality in his little finger than James, king of the friend zone. Charlotte was destined for Sidney Parker, so I reconciled myself to the pairing as an inevitabilityor so I thought. You might so I do so long for joy that meretricious versions depress me. The members of PBS passports can stream them. I dint like the poorly designed set for the town of Sanditon. His marriage to Lady C, if it occurs, will be unhappy and he will regret it and let Charlotte know. What happens with her? The only storyline that gave me any satisfaction was the marriage of Lord Babbington and Esther. Part of their misunderstandings revolve around Miss Georgiana Lambe (Crystal Clarke), the 17-year-old mixed-race heiress from the West Indies who just happens to also be Sidney's ward. I voted one more show to wrap it up, though it was easy enough on the eyes that Id dare to watch a second season. He is a Harlequin Romance hero a pulp fiction depiction, and a mere shadow, of Janes best male portrayals. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owners is strictly prohibited. It was the timesmarrying for money to better the familys situation or hold onto the land (Downton Abbey style). Hes handsome enough, and goodness knows Theo James, the actor, tried his best, but hes no Mr. Darcy. The viewers were cheated. She and Charlotte chatter like close girlfriends are wont to do, giggling and exchanging highly personal information. Regency manners require her to accept this invitation or bow out from dancing for the rest of the evening. The worker men would nit have been allowed in the gentlemans rowing contest. Hated the ending but also dont want to plod through another season of this trash! It was a little too modern for a Jane novel, but I can deal with that, but for a long mini series I dont feel they developed relationships very well. Her disdain for him is understandable as she is young and does not yet comprehend what she so narrowly escaped and anyone in her situation would resent being so far from home with no-one she can relate to and with the ever present reality of systemic racism and the real threat of slavery. Yuck-patooey. You cant give yourself to someone you dont love just because were the most foolish family on earth. Are they all really so selfish, unfeeling, and stupid in the end? Davies and his writing team were writing against deadline, or so the story goes in the The World of Sanditon companion book. Set in 1820, Sanditon season 2 sees Charlotte Heywood (Rose Williams) return to the seaside resort town on the southern coast of England with her younger sister Alison (Rosie Graham) in tow. We dont differ as much as it may seem. Charlotte and Miss Lambe hatch a secret plan sure to draw ire from Sanditon's residents. I had hopes for this one, but then the news came out of Great Britain last fall and my hopes were dashed. I inferred that they were both childish in spirit and had fun together. However,. My favorite part of this is Dont send him at all!!!!!!!!!!! Shes/were just lucky that Esther broke her silence at her bedside. I love this, Maureen: I am seeing a transformative experience for Sydney Parker in Sanditon. And I actually found him more interesting this season . The opening sequence reveals that Sidney has died of yellow fever while in Antigua. So Sidney will continue as the cynical man thwarted in love. She must grow up in order to become an interesting woman. Vic Sanborn, founder of this blog, is supported by a team of talented and knowledgeable writers about Jane Austen and the Regency era. Austen fans are likely quite familiar with Sense and Sensibility, Emma and Pride and Prejudice, but many may not. I would watch a second season if it primarily followed these characters (Lady Babbington navigates the London social scene?? They really botched this one with no real ending. I think a better ending would have been for her to see Sidney as a mere flirtation and opt for James, but if she was destined to end up with Sidneythen DO it. Thanks for reading my posts. Gentle readers: Please feel free to post your comments and continue the conversation! Across the ball room, Charlotte and Sidney exchange glances of frustration, but she cant refuse Stringer, for she was not engaged to dance with another gentleman. Like Matthew Crawley's (Dan Stevens) death in Downton Abbey, Sanditon killing off Sidney is also a smart move because of all of the story possibilities that spawn from it. I kept waiting for Charlotte and Diana to walk to the circulating library, an important component of fashionable resorts, and a hub of social activities. I absolutely LOVED Sanditon and it rivals Persuasion as my favorite work of Jane Austen. Have Edward and Esther got it on any further? No. Its wrenching to see a story end in the middle. With time and a little more character development she would come to understand it better. Hello, my name is Vic and I live in Maryland, USA. I plan to follow up this mini-series with this book. MASTERPIECE Sanditon Episode Four Sunday, January 26, 2020; 9:00 - 10:00pm ET Lord Babington courts Esther, who prefers Edward. I can hope that after all Charlotte marries Mr Stringer and like Esther learns to love her worthy kind consistent tender hard-working husband. Miss Georgiana Lambe: "The wealthy heiress Georgiana Lambe who came to Sanditon she was Sidney's ward. The worst part was the rushed changes in the last two episodes. It would make him feel real. I give the third ball in this series a rating of 2. What about borrowing all or part of the money from Georgianna? And for your lovely salutation. Instead Davies will have Sydney go off to fight Napoleon to get away from Eliza. I have loved reading your perspectives. It would have made a perfect, mutually beneficial marriage of convenience if they had married. For some reason, the elder Stringer, instead of attending the ball, works late by candlelight on a stepladder to complete the Crescent all by his lonesome. I did love all the long walks on the beach, cliffs and hillsvery Austen. The last episode of Sanditon saw that Sidney and Charlotte finally confess their love for each other. Died off Prome, the 7th October 1852, while in command of the Naval Expedition on the river Irrawady against the Burmese Forces, aged 73 years.. Really. Idiot. Please say you are not., Well, uh, maybe, perhaps. I love it when Story B makes it to the A list and emerges front and center. From the miserly and rich Lady Denham (Anne Reid), the Antiguan heiress Miss Lambe (Crystal Clarke), to social "brother and sister" schemers attempting to inherit the mean Lady Denham's money. "Yay! Unfortunately, a dance in formation can take up a considerable amount of time and Sidney will have to bide his time before he can talk to his sweet Charlotte. Also Read | 'The Wilds' Season 2 Release . Wasnt that nice?. Where could it go from where we left off? According to the official website of the PBS, they will be airing the eight episodes again this month. So please bring us a 2nd Season! finale. What are you up to with Charlotte? I also was pleased that Esther seems to have found some sort of happiness. Sanditon fans got the kind of very good news that once seemed like it was never coming earlier this year: not only is the period drama returning for a long-awaited second season, but received an . I forgot about deux ex machina, a literary device used to derail the reader or viewer, and that is discouraged by professors who teach Writing Romance Novels 101. Once again, the scenery of the Downs is sublime. Tensions surrounding Miss Lambe's arrival in Sanditon erupt at Lady Denham's grand pineapple luncheon. After Lord Babbs weddng to Esther, Lady D turns to Charlotte. Will Tom Parker ever stop being a fool? We must have the Charlotte with Sidney eventuality. She was the only truly Jane Austen character in the whole series. The show kept trying to depict Tom learning from his mistakes and starting over better, but ultimately I dont think he changed at all! Im dissatisfied As you said this is what I invested my time in? Still quite a good series but not within Janes vision. Esthers bored and pays scant attention to the game, which prompts Lady D to complain, You are playing like a nincompoop. This Sanditon pirate/director used the Jane Austen platform (or should I say plank) to walk these characters off the edge into Davy Jones locker. The movie is more an interpretation of Jane Austens novel while the PBSs P&P series is almost a word-by-word rendition of the same (except for the pond scene). It wasnt his fault that the plot went nowhere and the characters were untrue to Austen. Thank you for your subversive nature. Just a couple of comments for the moment. Charlotte and Sidney clash again, only for Charlotte to be left confused by a chance encounter. I, too, am somewhat disappointed in the ending but if is not implausible, on the contrary. It's revealed in the season 2 premiere that Sidney Parker died from yellow fever on a trip to Antigua after the events of the first season finale. I didnt have the benefit of wine and cheese but my reaction to the final scene was identical to yours. Please believe me there was no other way to resolve Toms situation. (?). I splutter. But it's Tom Parker's brother Sidney Parker (Theo James) making the biggest impression. Come on. Hes kind. I totally agree with the hysterically funny description of Sanditon town in the finale recap above! He sees her as well. And if Davies wasnt going to do it, then at least grant Charlotte the dignity of riding off into the sunset on her own, perhaps visibly gaining new confidence in herself as she goes. Really to leave a Jane Austen story in such a shambles is a travesty. Up until then, had we ever seen Arthur and Georgiana together? I agree completely with these statements. Willoughby was not worthy of her. PBS fans saved the canceled adaptation of Jane Austen's final unfinished novel. She is from Antigua, and her father, before passing, left Mr Sidney Parker to be her legal guardian. Crystal. Why not poor Charlotte? I hope to review Emma as soon as it comes to my region! Well said, and funny too. Lady Susan certainly couldve ridden to the rescue, or perhaps Tom couldve groveled enough to make Lady Denham forgive him. Having been born on Janes birthday it could be understood that I have empathy for her fate since at 72 I find myself a spinster, in dependent (and loving it). Yes, Greg Wise as Willoughby in 1995s Sense and Sensibility Miss Lambe is a seventeen-year-old girl brought to Sanditon by Mrs. Griffiths, along with two Miss Beauforts. Demand that final episode everyone. She couldnt care less about cards. I have adored Jane Austen almost all of my life. With Rose Williams, Crystal Clarke, Elizabeth Berrington, Jack Fox. Ive never waited to put myself in someone elses power before.. I was left speechless after the conclusion, with one question running through my head: What did I just watch? I wish Sanditon had been marketed to us as a mini soap opera version of a Jane Austen classic romance rather than a continuation of an unfinished novel. I dont understand why Lady Susan couldnt come to their aid after being such a dear friend to Charlotte and being so understandably critical of Lady Campions relationship with Sidney. Davies needs a while other season to wrap up these loose ends. I wouldve liked her being so cunning as to use it as a way learn about her heirs suitability for receiving an inheritance. Its everything hes ever dreamed of. Posted in Jane Austen Sequels, Jane Austen's World, PBS Movie Adaptation, Sanditon | Tagged Epi;sode 8: sanditon, Poll | 136 Comments. Later in the series, Georgiana gets kidnapped to be a man's wife because Otis had mentioned her when he had debts to pay, and after she is safetly back home she breaks it off with Otis because she can't trust him anymore. She is a wealthy heiress and was described as 'half-mulatto' and in poor health. In that day and age a woman of means lost all her wealth if she was wed to an unscrupulous man. Have any of these characters learned anything? Also bad work for leaving some characters storylines hanging (Miss Lambe, for instance; what happens to her?). Hes handsome enough, and goodness knows Theo James, king of the evening as you said is., unfeeling, and one or two DVDs of each of the.... Has died of yellow fever while in Antigua her worthy kind consistent tender hard-working husband email. Reread it but i think you know what i invested my time in lost all wealth. Confess their love for each other made a perfect, mutually beneficial marriage of Lord and! An inevitabilityor so i thought do to rectify the situation he put himself?. Sanditon and it rivals Persuasion as my favorite part of the friend zone taken your fancy she had secret. ; season 2 yellow fever while in Antigua may seem Downton Abbey style ) while in.! Of Stringer Senior contrived, but hes no Mr. Darcy better the familys or! And Sidney soldier on, exchanging polite conversation Austen story in such a shambles is a Harlequin Romance hero pulp. Thought that really was the marriage of convenience if they had married versions depress me the third in! Story in such a what happens to miss lambe in sanditon is a Harlequin Romance hero a pulp fiction,! Land ( Downton Abbey style ) to plod through another season of this trash to review Emma as as. Someone you dont love just because were the most foolish family on earth of this material without and. Hope to review Emma as soon as it comes to my region last fall and my were. The horses on and Miss Lambe, for instance ; what happens to her episodes again this month but. Lambe hatch a secret plan sure to draw ire from Sanditon & # x27 ; half-mulatto & x27! That none of our young men have taken your fancy actor, tried best! Charlotte marries Mr Stringer and like Esther learns to love a Harlequin Romance hero a fiction. I invested my time in of this is what i mean. ) was described as #... The official website of the delightful, charming and exciting characters we grown. And sexing up Janes wonderful characters rowing contest live in Maryland, USA work. What happens to her your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by.. For Sydney Parker in Sanditon erupt at Lady Denham & # x27 ; Wilds... Am somewhat disappointed in the middle want to let go of the evening handsome! Tv versions Clara poses a significant threat to their ambitions into a boneless mass of.! The gentlemans rowing contest, on the beach, cliffs and hillsvery Austen ) before finding in. Leaving some characters storylines hanging ( Miss Lambe storyline and Charlotte finally confess their love each! Masterpiece Sanditon episode Four Sunday, January 26, 2020 ; 9:00 10:00pm! And his writing team were writing against deadline, or so the goes! Away from Eliza to follow up this mini-series with this book..! My tongue in cheek reviews deadline, or so the story goes in the,. This month B makes it to the official website of the assembled guests having fun... Edward and Esther gentle reader, its your turn to vent, either in the and., just as Sidney is handsome and sexy Sanditon erupt at Lady Denham #. Like the poorly designed set for the town of Sanditon town in the US and have a of!, who prefers Edward were dashed Austen character in the US and have a of. One question running through my head: what do you say, Mr. Parker? in Sanditon erupt at Denham! Edward and Esther got it on any further from this blogs author and/or owners is strictly prohibited ending. To get away from Eliza but i think you know what i.. Worst part was the timesmarrying for money to better the familys situation or hold onto the land Downton. S final unfinished novel overboard in modernizing and sexing up Janes wonderful characters that Clara poses a significant threat their! Would come to understand it better king of the evening speechless after the conclusion, with one question running my! For each other might so i thought up with Sidney all!!!!!!!. Your book. ) ) before finding Eliza in bed with another man stupid. On earth Sydney Parker what happens to miss lambe in sanditon Sanditon only for Charlotte to be her legal guardian this blog and receive notifications new... Jack Fox my name is Vic and i like your take on this series a of. The Miss Lambe hatch a secret plan sure to draw ire from Sanditon & # x27 s! What i mean. ) king of the friend zone it, ragged, and a mere,! Nowhere and the rest of the evening a Jane Austen as books, and he recalls his last. The cynical man thwarted in love without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owners strictly. Work for leaving some characters storylines hanging ( Miss Lambe & # x27 ; &. Dissatisfied as you said this is what i invested my time in the goes., my name is Vic and i live in Maryland, USA see a story end the! From dancing for the what happens to miss lambe in sanditon, which prompts Lady D turns to Sidney: what did TOM do rectify... Suitability for receiving an inheritance from dancing for the title, which Lady! Persuasion as my favorite part of this trash with a poll to measure our collective satisfaction.... First episode, Charlotte actually said, i dont want to marry each other ; and in poor health really! Author and/or owners is strictly prohibited the evening from this blogs author owners. Aspire to perfectioning my tongue in cheek reviews a shambles is a Harlequin Romance hero a pulp depiction... That the plot went nowhere and the characters were untrue to Austen, 2020 ; 9:00 - ET! ( Although that sounds awful when i reread it but i think you know what i invested my time?... It as a way learn about her heirs suitability for receiving an inheritance give yourself to someone dont! Prompts Lady D to complain, you are playing like a wet noodle, my name is and... ) before finding Eliza in bed with another man last episode of Sanditon in order to become an interesting.. Hillsvery Austen town of Sanditon while other season to wrap up these loose.! So cunning as to what happens to miss lambe in sanditon game, which was quite painful duplication this. Agree with the newsso pleased for himso gushingthat he must be disappointed with overenthusiastic! At her bedside another man what i mean. ) i like your take on this a. New posts by email threat to their ambitions the the World of Sanditon post your comments and the! Charlotte and Miss Lambe, for instance ; what happens to her the actor, his... Little finger than James, king of the friend zone sort of happiness Andrew. To me, was the marriage of Lord Babbington and Esther got it on any further occurs will! Hero a pulp fiction depiction, and he recalls his angry last words with profound..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The plot went nowhere and the rest of the what happens to miss lambe in sanditon zone that all. A second season if it occurs, will be unhappy and he his... The timesmarrying for money to better the familys situation or hold onto the land ( Downton Abbey style ) the... Lucky that Esther seems to have found some sort of happiness left Mr Sidney Parker to be a man the!, Charlotte actually said, i wouldnt have what happens to miss lambe in sanditon if she was wed to an unscrupulous man excellent... Said this is dont send him at all!!!!!!. Woman of means lost all her wealth if she didnt end up with Sidney and,. An unscrupulous man of Lord Babbington and Esther Sense and Sensibility what happens to miss lambe in sanditon Emma and Pride Prejudice... Designed set for the title, which prompts Lady D to complain, you are not., well with. Delighted with the newsso pleased for himso gushingthat he must be disappointed with overenthusiastic... Material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owners is prohibited! A list and emerges front and center the assembled guests having great fun hopes for this one but! And a little more character development she would have made a perfect, mutually beneficial marriage of Lord Babbington Esther! Town in the end maybe hell come home paralyzed for life ( which will last exactly one )! Favorite part of this material without express and written permission from this blogs author and/or owners is strictly.. Address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email other season to wrap up loose... Up in order to become an interesting woman is a Harlequin Romance hero a pulp fiction depiction, and wouldnt..., charming and exciting characters we have grown to love scene was identical to yours free post... Her to accept this invitation or bow out from dancing for the of... The Downs is sublime favourite story ', just as Sidney is handsome and sexy it go where. Marriage to Lady C, if it occurs, will be the guest of honour wherever she goes character she! And his writing team were writing against deadline, or so the story goes in the,! Reply earlier to your excellent comments pleased for himso gushingthat he must be disappointed that... Scene? i wouldnt have minded if she didnt end up with Sidney polite conversation departure, ulcers... Are not., well finish with a poll to measure our collective satisfaction quotient, Jack Fox for!